Notices

memory loss

Old 03-27-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

memory loss

I am 192 days sober today and I was wondering if my memory will ever get better. I drank, smoked marijuana, and took prescribed klonopin every night for about 5 years. While most of my withdrawal symptoms have gotten progressively better I am noticing that my short-term memory still seems to be getting worse. Anyone suffer short term memory while in sobriety? Does it ever get better?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I definitely suffered it, but it got better gradually. Just realize it takes time and try not to worry too much about it. It'll come back. I don't know if I am 100% of what I was, but close enough that I can do what I need to do in life.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me booze only. My story is different. BUT the upshot is- with time, counseloling and doing mindful brain exercixes, writing stuff down- I am okay. Takes time, effort and support for me.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It takes quite a while for the fog to clear, especially with the brain. Though hang in there, it will get better.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for replying, Duane. The addict in me wants my memory to go back to normal NOW. I take issue with things I can't control and I just have to be patient.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

I'm 59. I used to have a very, very good memory and I suppose it would be much better now had I not abused alcohol to the extent I did. I can't say how much my memory is affected by boozing and how much is natural change. There is definite change. It seems to have plateaued with slight degradation over the years since getting sober (4700 odd days). I cope ok alone with the help of electronic devices note taking and concentration exercises.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Forward and Phoenix, Thank you for your replies. The brain fog was almost as scary as the memory loss. I would be having conversations with neighbors or friends and the struggle to keep up with the normal back and forth was downright scary. That has gotten way better over the last 2 months.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Grymt, thanks for your reply, and congrats on 12+ years of sobriety. I pray everyday that my memory loss will plateau so I can maintain a baseline and start to improve. I am in my late 30s and deep down I know there is some damage that will be irreparable. Thanks again for replying.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a long time to feel I was back to full cognitive ability - It was 5 years I guess - altho it needs to be said I also suffered some mini strokes in my journey, so your time may be a lot shorter.

I'd still plan for several months tho. I think we really underestimate the damage we do. Fortunately our minds and bodies are great healers, given time

D
Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, it's great to see you on here helping out so many of us fighting the good fight. I read that the brain is like a powerful muscle. The more you use it the stronger it gets. I try to do a few crossword puzzles a week and since Decemeber Inhave been meditating regularly. Hopefully this helps my path to regain full cognitive ability.