Notices

Good Vitamins and Herbs to Take

Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good Vitamins and Herbs to Take

I am on day 7 and have run out of the 400 capsules of the B-Complex vitamins I have been taking over the past 4 years. I was going to get some more, but also heard that Milk Thistle is a good way to go as well as far as the liver is concerned. Does anyone else use a supplement that they can recommend? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Vitamins

While not a sports doctor I happen to know quite a bit about this. Prior to being a daily drinker I was a gym rat and I'm back at the gym again now that I'm sober. There is no one size fits all when it comes to this question. The one given is a good (not drugstore) multivitamin. The rest depends on age, weight, goals, etc..

In example I am 50 and work out regularly which depletes a lot of V & M's so I take Megamen Multi (GNC Brand with BCAA's); Fish Oil and CoQ10 for range of motion and to keep my blood pressure down. I take other things but they are specific to the routine I do.

As a former heavy drinker your body is probably low in Zinc, Potassium, Magnesium, and B's. A good multi will have these in spades.

It takes about 2 weeks to really see a difference in energy levels but taking V & M's will greatly speed up the physical healing portion.

Keep it up,
Alan6154
Old 03-27-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For the most part, supplements are usually only needed if you have a deficiency in a certain area - and you can only really find that out by seeing a doctor. Even OTC supplments can also have unintended effects, so it's best to also get advice from a doctor in those cases as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not a good idea to take supplements or vitamins without checking with your doctor to find out what is best for you. And, Scott is absolutely right about OTC supplements.