Notices

Want to change job to deal with my alcoholism

Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to change job to deal with my alcoholism

Been a contractor for this one company for 4 years off and on. The job is in my field of schooling I got but with my binge problem I have every 6 to 11 month which last 4 to 5 days. It happen last week. I know I'm still trying to deal with handle not drinking but it gets hard when you have to drive an hour one way and you are by yourself most of the day and only reason you work there is for the paycheck. The people are good but don't feel like it's a good environment for myself. I may get let go which would be a good thing and find an office job with people around me. I work in that type of environment 2 years ago for 4 months which I enjoy going to over this job. This job does pay more per hour but because it contract work instead of w2 or w4, I made less when I paying taxes at the end of the year.

Yes, I'm trying hard to keep myself sober which I know I have become a broken record slipping. My drinking problem is not all about this job but it's not helping me stay sober. How should I handle this. I have put my resume out to all the job site in January which i get calls but i cant tell them I'm not looking. but I don't want this job hurt me in the long run when finding real employment and not contract work. Also I have a $10k of IRS I will need to pay that I have the money to pay but only because I'm living at my parents place.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I think of you want a new job, the imprtant thing would be to have it before you leave the old one. Work is good for the soul, so being self supporting wont do your attempt at sobriety any harm.

But IME, a new job, a better job or no job at all will have no effect on whether you can get sober or not. It is a common thing for an alcoholic to look at what external circumstances we can change to fix our selves. New job, new town, new girlfriend are some of the things we have tried. Until we accept that it is not an external problem, and start addressing that, little progress is likely.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ACT1ONpack - it's a common theory and an understandable hope - but you've been a member here for a lot longer than 4 years.....

what if you leave the job and it doesn't help these 'slips'?

Perhaps it's not an external problem at all - but an internal one, maybe?

D
Old 03-27-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I think of you want a new job, the important thing would be to have it before you leave the old one. Work is good for the soul, so being self-supporting won't do your attempt at sobriety any harm.

But IME, a new job, a better job or no job at all will have no effect on whether you can get sober or not. It is a common thing for an alcoholic to look at what external circumstances we can change to fix ourselves. New job, new town, new girlfriend are some of the things we have tried. Until we accept that it is not an external problem, and start addressing that, little progress is likely.
Yes, that is true. I should have gone to those interviews and have gotten a new job first. Instead of trying to escape with alcohol. Get away from all my problems. More so that I suffer from depression. It is what it is and now I will need to deal with it today.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi ACT1ONpack - it's a common theory and an understandable hope - but you've been a member here for a lot longer than 4 years.....

what if you leave the job and it doesn't help these 'slips'?

Perhaps it's not an external problem at all - but an internal one, maybe?

D
That is true I don't know if it will help with the slips but me driving an hour one way to work and an other hour back is not making me happy. Also me not being around other coworker is not making me feel good. I'm not really productive with work beacuse I'm playing around on the internet and taking more time for work.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe that our surroundings are important in encouraging (or detracting from) the quality of our life in recovery.

That life of recovery is predicated on the decision that we will not drink, no matter what. A different job for you, or a "safe" one like I had at my start to sobriety (I worked at Chick-fil-A, a positive, great place to be to help me establish a new sober routine) are helpful, but not the real answer as others have said.

How badly do you want to be sober? Have you accepted - truly- that your life is unmanageable (you describe IRS bills, living with your parents, other stuff that a lot of us have been through that is not good) and it's time to quit?

You can, if you want to, regardless of your surroundings, other people (I now work in a restaurant so I am around alcohol all the time, often have late/difficult hours, etc) and anything else.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Unless you're a bartender.... I don't recommend quitting your job.

Adding stress and financial worry to your life is unlikely to make you sober.

If you wish to make a job change - by all means work on it and do it with a plan in a way that won't impair you financially or otherwise.

Meanwhile, you will find much better results in your drinking problem - and perhaps even discover enjoyment in your work - by embracing sobriety and taking steps to support a sober life.

What have you tried so far, in choosing sobriety?

Seldom has anyone curEd a drinking problem by running from it.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^^^Freeowl - I had to smile at the comment about being a bartender. As a server, the restaurant where I work is the perfect place for me. It is also quite surprising at first how many people who are in recovery work in the industry. For some of us (I believe, it is because my problem has been removed and I work to keep it that way) it is actually a perfect place to be.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Unless you're a bartender.... I don't recommend quitting your job.

Adding stress and financial worry to your life is unlikely to make you sober.

If you wish to make a job change - by all means work on it and do it with a plan in a way that won't impair you financially or otherwise.

Meanwhile, you will find much better results in your drinking problem - and perhaps even discover enjoyment in your work - by embracing sobriety and taking steps to support a sober life.

What have you tried so far, in choosing sobriety?

Seldom has anyone curEd a drinking problem by running from it.
I understand what you mean. My plan was not to get drunk just to get fired, so I can look for a job I want. It was a poor/bad choice to do. But if I get fired then I will need to look at the bright side of things. I can take the job I want serious and get in an environment I will find enjoy again.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I understand what you mean. My plan was not to get drunk just to get fired, so I can look for a job I want. It was a poor/bad choice to do. But if I get fired then I will need to look at the bright side of things. I can take the job I want serious and get in an environment I will find enjoy again.
You could also take sobriety seriously now. There is a bright side of things to look forward to even if you don't find a new job. If you get fired, that will also make it much more difficult to get a new job as prospective employers will contact your current employer for references.

You could do a lot of things now that would help
1. Participate in a local support group
2. See what resources are available locally like counseling/rehab/etc. There are many times free or low cost alternatives
3. Check into your local community for job/carreer assistance. There are a whole host of places you can go and find people who can help you work on your resume, and help you find job skills training,etc.
4. Spend more constructive time here on SR working on sobriety
5. You mentioned that you drive a lot for work, you could possibly look at some podcasts or other self-help type recordings to listen to on your way back and forth to work each day.

All of those things will be of benefit now, whether you find a new job or keep the old one.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I think of you want a new job, the imprtant thing would be to have it before you leave the old one. Work is good for the soul, so being self supporting wont do your attempt at sobriety any harm.

But IME, a new job, a better job or no job at all will have no effect on whether you can get sober or not. It is a common thing for an alcoholic to look at what external circumstances we can change to fix our selves. New job, new town, new girlfriend are some of the things we have tried. Until we accept that it is not an external problem, and start addressing that, little progress is likely.
This here. So true IMO.