Notices

Cravings - Started New Diet and Ugh

Old 03-26-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings - Started New Diet and Ugh

Hi Guys
Workin my plan and posting here.
I have been sober a year now, but unfortunately I developed a nasty habit of eating big sweet muffins, cereal, etc.
I "came out of the fog" about a week ago - my clothes are tight and I don't feel good.
I started to "diet" by eliminating those sugary carbs and snacking on fruit; I have been on this plan since Monday, and guess what?
Cravings! Ugh! I thought I was done with these. I knew something was up when I was alone in my house on Friday and I had the thought that I could drink one of my husband's beers and then was like what the heck am I thinking?!
So - I guess I am on day six or whatever from sugar. Didn't drink though, so I am proud of that. I gotta tweak my plan because I dont want to gain any more weight and I can't keep running to the freaking bakery for a fix.
Any tips?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have an exercise routine?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I hike and go the gym on a regular basis.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

I'm cutting down at the moment. I find that if I stray from a regular diet, regular feed times and I eat in response to emotional upsets then the cravings become more intense.

In order to not succumb to the more intense cravings I find the following to be helpful:

If snacking out I choose to snack on fruit. I know it contains sugars but I'm ok with that

because there are two main things I do to ride out a cravings rush.

1. I do something. I do anything that needs doing like tidying up, gardening, sorting something, making something. Being busy makes the cravings go away almost instantly.

2 and this is the main one because sometimes I can't do anything else. I meditate. I equanimously observe the breath at the nostrils, as it is, moment to moment.

This works because it is a study of a truth and the cravings are closely tied to truths like impermanence and their true nature of rising and passing away. In other words I have the cravings but they don't have me. I simply observe them rising and passing away. This is ultimately the most effective way I deal with anycravings (and aversions).
Old 03-26-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes all true.
I have to use the same tactics I have used for a year now (to stay sober) with my cravings for sugar.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I cut out added sugars, it takes a few days...I also cut breads, cereals, crackers, peanut butter, chips etc. They are things I lack control over and they lead to binges which makes me feel uncomfortable. It makes it a lot easier to tackle the sugar when I feel safe around food in general.

What about fruit? Are you still eating fruit? I find some full-fat Greek yogurt with berries takes care of the sweetness urge. Protein, fat, carbs. The perfect snack.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sober Day # 50 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

Hi Madgirl,
11 years ago, I quit drinking cold turkey, for 5 years, with the help of Allen Carr's book. But I also ate a whole box of cookies every night instead of drinking. And I gained weight.
I have quit again, and this time I am also trying to stick with low carb. It is much more difficult. I do drink diet soda sometimes, even though I know it is not that healthy for us.
One thing that I have noticed tho is that the cravings for wine and sugar are similar, and the craving for sugar also comes and goes like a wave. The other day I even said to myself----there's the sugar AV talking LOL

Wishing us all luck on this journey.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi madgirl

I've read a lot of people here who interpret any kind of craving - like for sugar say - as an alcoholic one.

Just as you got through them before you can again

Sounds like you have a good attitude - good luck with your new plan,
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe try adding some more lean protein for snacks. Eggs, lean meat or fish. And if you really do want carbs, try and make it so it also incorporates fibre and protein so it's more sustaining. You really don't want to be going Hungry as that can be one of the major triggers for alcoholic cravings.

What diet are you doing? I found the Slimming World one suited me because you could eat lots of healthy stuff, and don't need to buy any weird ingredients. I lost a lot on it, but seem to be in a state of childish rebellion against it at the moment. Or maybe now I'm almost at target I've lost some of my drive for it. I need to get back on it though as I'm off to Centre Parks soon with some AA buddies, and that's a swim-suit holiday! Eek!!

And remember. Sobriety is top priority. Take care.

BB
Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I need to put ON weight, but wondered if, when eating well all round, you can allow yourself one little treat. Or is it more like complete abstinence as in alcohol?
Old 03-27-2017, 03:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, the problem is for me once I have say a small sliver of a muffin, I want the whole thing and maybe another one, too.

Just. Like. Alcohol.

So, no sugar.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am not on any particular brand of diet - just no white sugar. I have lots of fruit, though.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Well, the problem is for me once I have say a small sliver of a muffin, I want the whole thing and maybe another one, too.

Just. Like. Alcohol.

So, no sugar.
This is really common, madgirl. I've been on MyFitnessPal for many years and that's a very common issue a lot of people have.

That's my problem too - and it includes a rather embarrassingly long list of stuff I just don't buy anymore. I tried, really I did. I am able to stay within my calories just fine as long as none of those foods are in the kitchen. I wish it were different, but it just isn't. I even added two foods recently that you wouldn't think should be a problem...and yet...
Old 03-27-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wonder if there is a best diet plan out there for alcoholics in recovery?

The first ninety days or so, if a box of cookies keeps you from going to the liquor store on auto-pilot, better fatter than drunk or dead, right? Right.

But in long term sobriety, obviously the box of cookies a day will lead to terrible health.

I am posting again to work thru sugar cravings.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know a very smart, kind woman who has 15 years sobriety - she is in AA.

She drinks mountain dew all. Day. Long.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There appears to be a couple schools of thought. When I was first thinking I would quit drinking I was already several years into logging my food and staying at a healthy weight, so I Googled for alcoholic withdrawal diets and what I found was high carb. Worked for me since I had been eating pretty low carb, but you know, lots of alcohol. I was drinking craft beer and mixed fruity drinks, too, lol.

In early sobriety (like first six months) I ate well over my maintenance calories and most of that was sugary stuff - I was sort of pampering myself, but that was also what I felt I wanted/craved/whatever, and I needed the extra nutrition from added protein, too.

It is really important to me to figure out what gives me the clearest mind and the easiest emotions, and cutting back my carbs after that first six months was what I needed to do to stay within my calories and still get enough nutrition. The added unintentional upside was less anxiety and inflammation.

The longer you are off the sugar, the easier it gets. I really have to stay pretty low carb (well, moderate...>150g a day) in order to hold my weight and my cravings. I still splurge every now and then, I mean. . .cookies.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What works well for you, Bimini?
Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm a big one for low carb since I quit drinking. I started on low carb early on in sobriety (cut out pasta, rice, bread and grains and of course pastries and other sweets), and felt great. I also lost weight rather easily. I went back to carbs (mainly pasta and rice) a couple months ago due to an increasing running regimen and the weight came back quickly even with extra running. I went back to low carb three or so weeks ago and presto, I have lost the weight again.

So if it is weight loss you are primarily after, then I am a BIG one for low carbs. Never has it felt so effortless to drop pounds.

It makes me wonder what we are doing to our bodies with carbs especially the sugars in things like pastries, muffins, soft drinks.

If you are exercising frequently, then IME fats need to replace the carbs. That was one I struggled with early on. Eating a platter of chicken wings or ribs just did not seem healthy to me, but that's commonly dinner for me now.