Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

can someone tell me if my boyfriend is secretly addicted to painkillers??

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been dating my boyfriend for 5 years. We have lived together for 3. I am 24 and he is 22. About two years ago, I discovered that my boyfriend and our roommate at the time were secretly selling heroin and snorting it too for about a year without me knowing! I am seriously oblivious to it and I think its because I would never ever suspect that from my boyfriend. But since then, he definitely has not done heroin (that i'm almost positive about) but I have reason to believe he is now secretly taking and/or snorting painkillers. Judging by the signs and symptoms I've read so much about online, the drug of choice seems to be oxycodone..I'm not 100% sure though. Which is why I have finally decided to post my own thread.
Now I know usually people who are addicted to painkillers usually resort to heroin instead of this case, which is the opposite. But my boyfriend and his father have been really sketchy together........his father definitely is prescribed a bunch of different medications and they're always trying to find ways to make money together, usually involving selling/growing weed. But my strong gut feeling tells me their secrecy and discreteness is much more than that.. especially since I have noticed thing about my boyfriend that I don't think anyone else could notice, for the simple fact that they aren't around him every day like I am. So My guess is, I think that my boyfriend stopped snorting heroin (he swore up and down that he wasn't addicted, he only did it here and there with friends), and somehow got his father to give him pills to sell and make money off of. I'm not sure if the father knows if he abuses them, but my boyfriend is a really good liar and he is also a salesman so I feel like he could very easily convince his dad that he is "waiting on people to pay him back". He used to not be a good liar at all until he started hiding the whole heroin thing two years back, Anyway, after I confronted him about the heroin, he broke down and admitted it and said he would stop. I also told him if he ever feels like he wants to do some again or anything, that he can tell me and I will do my best to help and be there for him. He knows he can trust and rely on me. But since then, he has not said a word about heroin.
About a year ago, I had a very suspicious feeling about how him and a close friend were acting. I would always snoop around and frantically search for clues or proof of my feeling, until one day I finally found it: a rolled up ball of tinfoil in the ceiling tile of our bathroom, and in it, burnt residue (it didn't look like thin straight lines, it was kind of all over the place..there was no ash or anything that could spill or something, it was only black marks stained to the tinfoil). I called him out on it and he said it was the friend..which is such a typical thing to say, but he was crying and saying he doesn't like to think about the person he was when he was doing drugs and he said it wasn't his. The thing is, the friend who supposedly put the tinfoil in OUR bathroom ceiling is kind of short and definitely overweight, so I really don't think he would go through such efforts to reach and hide something in a ceiling of someone elses home. But my boyfriend said he knew it was percs that were smoked. I ended up believing him and banning the friend from our house, but everytime someone asks us why we aren't friends with him anymore, my boyfriend always says stuff like "he's a scumbag" or "hes a liar", but NEVER MENTIONS THE ACTUAL REASON. Which is weird,.. so i'll always be the one to tell them all what really happened all while my boyfriend just sits quietly. At one time he even pulled me aside and said we probably shouldn't be telling people that..which to me, looks like he doesn't want the truth to come out and have this friend find out what we've been telling people happened when really he had nothing to do with it! But since this time, I haven't felt any suspicion until 4 months ago.
My boyfriend's job shut down and everyone got laid off. He collected unemployment while he searched for a job. After one day of searching he never put the effort in to look again, and it has now been 7 months and he still has been just sitting on his ass while I'm at work all day. This is so unlike him, he is more motivated than I am typically and is more outgoing and always wants to go out. So for him to be lazy, unmotivated, kept up in the house, and unemployed for 7 months is insane to me. Every time I ask him about getting a job he gets so irritated and tells me "don't worry about it". I have had that same sketched-out, suspicious feeling that ive had before in the past two drug instances above..and IT came to ME, I swear I haven't just been convincing myself somethings up. His eyes are what first had me suspicious. They look like how they do when he is drunk- his eyelids are super sunken in, they look really droopy, under his eyes are puffy, he stares into space sometimes and the way he looks is scary. I'll ask him if he's drunk and he'll say, "no??" I think he thinks that I cant tell because I was never able to tell when he was on heroin two years ago (still don't know how I never noticed for a full year). But anyway, he only looks ****** up at different times, like he'll be playing a video game and have those same, scary sunken in eyes, but once someone talks to him and his attention is gained, he'll look alive and normal. Its so strange and this is why I have yet to drug test him, because its not the whole day/night that he looks like hes on something. But he'll literally look like a zombie when he's focusing or playing a game or watching tv or just spacing out, Also, his pupils do not get pinned. I have read about people saying "no one noticed I was on drugs for years" and stuff like that. Are there some cases where your pupils aren't effected by opiates for some people?? His eyes have NEVER even gotten bloodshot from smoking weed before, so maybe his eyes aren't effected at all by drugs? I don't know. I don't know or care much about drugs, but for the past 4 months I have researched and learned so much because of how strong my gut feeling is.
He's been going into our bedroom a lot, too. I'm a girl and you'd think I'd be the one in and out of our bedroom, changing clothes or fixing makeup or anything. But as soon as I go to see where he went, its like he hears my footsteps and "just so happens" to be leaving the bedroom or bathroom as I approach. And when I ask what he was doing its always something innocent like he got a sweatshirt or something casual like that. Its so hard for me to tell whats going on- if its nothing or something!! Its eating me alive and I don't want to drug test him because I don't want to screw it up and do it at the wrong time when its already out of his system and then comes out negative, and I **** up my chance. He also has lost some weight, and he WILL NOT STOP SHAKING/MOVING HIS LEG WHEN SITTING. Whether its bouncing his knees or shaking his foot while we watch a movie, he always has to be moving a leg. Sometimes he'll even be still sleeping in the morning and he'll shake his foot in his sleep. He doesn't have insomnia or depression either. He sleeps normally but eats less. Also, he has been super silly and goofy lately and its been so annoying to me. Ive read that someone who is abusing painkillers can start to appear more immature to you. Also, he has a legit chronic hacking cough, and sometimes he'll be sniffling and have a runny nose when he isn't sick!!!!!!! Another main thing I forgot to add is he is ALWAYS SO ITCHY especially when he is sitting and relaxing. Lately I have even been counting in between each itch, and it is always no more than 2 mins, and as less as 5 seconds. But either way the itching is CONSTANT. Head, face, eyes, neck, nose, legs, stomach. Also, he always wipes his nose even when he doesn't need to sniffle. And it wont even be the nostrils that he'll wipe, he will use the palm of his hand and wipe UPWARDS at the tip of his nose, not even coming in contact with the nostrils. He also has a hacking cough quite constantly, and clearing throat all the time.
If someone could please tell me what they think and if it still seems up in the air or a definite answer, it would be so greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't mean to be critical, but it would help to break that up into paragraphs. We can't tell you if your boyfriend is addicted to something.

If he's acting strange, has constant access to painkillers, money disappears, etc... those would all be signs of an opiate addiction.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am new here, I don't know if that is the usual format, but I find that very hard to read and keep my place.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If he says it's Oxy, it could very well be heroin. Symptoms are similar to each other, the high is about the same, and heroin is a lot cheaper. Both are bad-news drugs.

I would say, you know what you know. Something is going on, regardless. Trust your gut. You aren't going to be able to "make" him tell you the truth or get a job or quit using or...a drug test will do nothing. You already know, and you're not his mother or the police, so what's the point?

Best thing would be for you to start making plans to take care of yourself without him and away from this. Is this the life you want for yourself?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is shining through here, is this boyfriend of yours is clearly lying to you.

My ( dispassionate ) advice is to get our of the relationship, make sure you are clean and sober and taking care of yourself, then make your own choices from a distance.

Best Wishes
Old 03-26-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Sounds like it but that's for him to say. What about you. Are you addicted to your bf, for example?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oxy or not, it doesnt sound good to me. Something is telling you things are not right. Listen to that voice.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's difficult to format on phones sometimes, guys.

If formatting is the only comment you can make, maybe its best to move on to other threads?

Hi and welcome agb

It's not really possible for any of us to say yay or nay.

I agree with most of the others here though - if something seems not right to you, then it probably isn't.

This is a place of great support tho, and I'm glad you posted.

Check out our Friends and Family section too
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com
D
Old 03-26-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, agb, and welcome to SR. Glad you found us, but sorry for your trouble.
First, do you have support? Family who understand and will help and support you if needed? It must be hard to be going through this with your SO.
For the record, you don't sound clueless, though you claim you are about your SO's using. You just sound like someone who wasn't really expecting this situation to occur.
Second, using looks like using. Trust your gut. I can't really speak to what is going on with your guy, but from your post, something is sketchy.
This doesn't sound promising, I know.
If you can confirm that he is using, what would you like to do next? Good to start putting together a plan. Peace. Keep coming back.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If he's doing illegal things and not treating you kindly and you don't feel good around him.....
Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The amount of suspicion that you're living with would eat me alive. However, wildly enough, even in my addiction, I'm one of the very, very few people I know that somehow have avoided serious codependency issues. Based on what you tell me, it appears that he is showing symptoms of active addiction. Some of his behaviors are remarkably similar to mine when I was still living with my ex.

The larger question is what you can actually do about it, which, as others have stated, is very little. The unfortunate reality is that recovery from addiction is an inside job, and until the addict is READY and WILLING to quit for THEMSELVES, those of us on the outside can do little to change their desire for an alteration on how they experience their reality. I'm certainly a case of that, and it took a lot of excruciating mental, emotional, and physical pain before I realized that recovery would be LESS painful than remaining in my addiction. My ex, who I've been split with for six and a half years, couldn't change me, my family couldn't change me, treatment and mental hospitals couldn't change me, and I'm yet to meet anyone in meaningful recovery who DID change for an outside influence. I'd bet good money (which I don't have) that your boyfriend is the same.

I'd tell ya some horror stories, but I'm not certain that they would be constructive right now. If you'd like me to share, I'm more than happy to, though possibly privately.

I don't know how you feel about this, but let me pose this question to you...

Does this appear to be a healthy relationship to you? If your friend or family member that you care about were laying all this out, would you consider it a healthy relationship?

I don't ask this to make you defensive or try to incur any ill will, but rather because from where I sit, as a (supposedly) objective outside observer, this sounds like it's fraught with issues.

You might pop over to the Friends & Family Section (which I've linked below) and see about some support and insight there. While I am some months removed from my last relapse and presently am working the 12 Step model of recovery, my experience dealing with the relational side to practicing addicts is limited.

Friends & Family Section of the Sober Recovery Forums.

If I can be of any more assistance, feel free to message or reply. I feel for ya, and hope you can sort this out in order to stay sane, safe, and healthy.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think you did a good job writing all of that out, and having been in your shoes before, I can say that its sometimes helpful to journal it all and read it back. Its cathartic.

Dont feel bad about not catching the signs when he was using heroin, I didnt know my husband had started using either. The signs were subtle at first and could have been explained away by various things. Also, I dont know about you but I was not around drugs, or people who had issues with drugs and how could I be aware of the signs of a problem immediately, or know what to do for that matter.

And knowing what to do is always debatable anyway when your the significant other. Usually we get lied to because they know we wont approve and will begin to complain, get angry, threaten, or maybe even leave. It took me a while to understand that the lies are not personal against me, really its done to protect the addiction, or whatever sketchy behavior is going on.

All the drugs you mentioned are highly addictive, so I would be worried about it. The longer he uses any of them, the more likely he is to actually become addicted, instead of abusing them now and then.

Great job reading and learning about all of this. Its a lot to take in, and its taken me a while also. Its helped me to learn as much as I can, because I can see the big picture, know why certain things happen, and make better decisions for myself.

All I can really say is that if his dad is involved that is bad in my opinion because my guess is he has a lot of influence over him?

And yeah I think the ceiling tile was him most likely and not the short pudgy friend. He could have at least blamed a tall friend, or found a spot lower to the ground if he was going to use him as his alibi. Just a little humor in the craziness.

One mistake Ive made, and still have not corrected. Is turning to the people in my life who are closest to me. - My family and my good friends. I was ashamed, and afraid to tell them what was going on. My husband is doing better now, but that secret is eating away at me and Ive got to correct it soon. So reach out to those people you trust so you have support, and can bounce some of these concerns off them. they know him Im sure, and that will also help.

Getting someone to quit using.. that is not easy and like any change we make in life there has to be some internal desire or we are likely to fail. And some of these drugs are hard to get off of without professional help also. My husband tried different stuff and found therapy works for him. Thats another option for you maybe. If your still in schoool, or if your insurance will cover it.. you might look into it for yourself. It gives us a place to share our feelings and a little guiding hand to sort things out. Ive been doing it fora while now, and its helped a lot.

I have never drug tested. Dont know much about that. After a while it became easy for me to tell, but you are right. It takes a connect the dot type of thing but then once you know, the behaviors are a give away usually. But Ive heard of people who do test. I guess the question is, how would he respond? and yep you might need to do it multiple times? and what would you do if it was positive? Answers you might what to think about before doing the test so you have a plan for your next steps.

If I can answer any questions for you, its ok to private message me.

You did good posting here too. I know that first post and share can be difficult and scary waiting for the replies.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The dead giveaway with opiates is that your pupils get constricted when high. It is pretty easy to spot if you know what to look for. The itching is common with opiate use too. Restless legs, twitching is a big part of withdrawal. He may be dopesick when you are seeing the restlessness. As far as it being Oxy vs Heroin, it would be pretty much impossible to tell which one without a drug test.

I am not sure where you read your information about opiate addiction, but a lot of it is bogus. There are a LOT of opiate addicts that only use pills. I used pills for several years before switching to heroin. Also, acting immature is not something I would associate with opiates. Alcohol would have a much greater impact on my decision making than opiates did. I held a stressful job for several years while on opiates and I was able to perform at work.