Notices

So much anxiety and drinking makes it worse!

Old 03-26-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So much anxiety and drinking makes it worse!

I drank again this weekend. I don't know why I keep doing this on the weekends. Maybe I feel lonely or I am bored. I only drink on the weekends, used to be a daily drinker a few years ago. But it's not okay on the weekends either. I have major health anxiety and I worry about my heart, my liver, my lungs from smoking. I have lost family members to this disease and heart failure. I had my annual physical a week ago, and my doctor told me that I am healthy and just need to lose weight. She knows I am trying to quit smoking, but I did not tell her how much I drink on the weekends. I know if I could just stop these awful habits and start exercising, I will be able to live better and be healthier. My anxiety wouldn't be so terrible! I'm shaking, I can't sleep, and I'm nauseous. I'm drinking chamomile tea, but it's only helping a little. I don't know what to do now. I'm so sick of this same pattern I am stuck in. What can I do today to feel better, other that NOT DRINKING of course!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, and does anyone ever have pain or tightness around the liver? Does this mean I am dying or can it heal? Please help. I need to get better.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was like you, I was an everyday drinker for years and then I cut back to weekends only over the last 2 years..... but when I drank I drank like I was making up for lost time..... drank myself ill every weekend so I spent one day sick on the couch. I came to the decision that even once or twice a week was too much for me, it's not the frequency or amount but what it does to me.

I've found quitting all together to be the easier option.

For today rest up, hydrate, and make a plan for quitting for good.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I was like you, I was an everyday drinker for years and then I cut back to weekends only over the last 2 years..... but when I drank I drank like I was making up for lost time..... drank myself ill every weekend so I spent one day sick on the couch. I came to the decision that even once or twice a week was too much for me, it's not the frequency or amount but what it does to me.

I've found quitting all together to be the easier option.

For today rest up, hydrate, and make a plan for quitting for good.
Thank you for the response. I do the same thing,binging on the weekends and not drink all week because I work mon-fri. I just want to feel better. Today I feel scared and anxious.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Here and now

I have severe health anxiety too.

Your doctor just told you you are okay, like mine told me in november. I drank on friday and yesterday i was sure my heart was giving out. Yet here I am today.

Try to use evidence based thinking. You were told you were okay a week ago, it is impossible to damage yourself beyond repair in that amount of time, you will be okay.

Remember how you feel today. Write it down. Read it daily. That is the only way to keep it fresh in your mind EVERY DAY.

Best of luck, I know how you feel. You're never alone.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
I have severe health anxiety too.

Your doctor just told you you are okay, like mine told me in november. I drank on friday and yesterday i was sure my heart was giving out. Yet here I am today.

Try to use evidence based thinking. You were told you were okay a week ago, it is impossible to damage yourself beyond repair in that amount of time, you will be okay.

Remember how you feel today. Write it down. Read it daily. That is the only way to keep it fresh in your mind EVERY DAY.

Best of luck, I know how you feel. You're never alone.

Thank you for that suggestion. I definitely need to write things down. Sobriety isn't easy, it takes work. I have a notebook and journal to write in, but I hardly ever use them. I'm glad you are here today. I really appreciate everyone here and it does help me to post and read others messages. I will not drink today!!! One day at a time, we can do this.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

The important thing is to learn from this - Drinking never makes us better only more worse off than we was sober

Rooting for you Bronz
Old 03-26-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/2016

I lost 35 pounds by not drinking. Seriously, it sounds like it is time for you to stop picking up that first drink. You can do this!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can tell you my experience. I drank everyday for years. I have/had anxiety including a degree of health anxiety. Once I quit drinking slowly but surely I made changes to my lifestyle that have given me positive results. I joined here and discussed my thoughts and feelings. I started meditating (highly recommend). I lost 25lbs as a result of diet but mostly just from quitting drinking and I started to exercise daily just recently.

My anxiety has decreased immensely. Exercise has really helped me as it gets that nervous energy out and makes me feel a sense of accomplishment. Not only that, but these changes have made me feel better about my health.

Imo the only way you can get your body and mind better is to stop drinking and make positive changes in your life. There is no magic pill. It is hard work but worth it! fwiw, I didn't make these changes all at once. It was a 5 month process.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
...if I could just stop these awful habits.
Your drinking is more than a habit. It's an addiction and needs to be treated accordingly.

Perhaps go back to you doctor and fess up about your drinking and about the anxiety.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started really drinking to escape from panic attacks. I eventually got on meds for panic disorder but continued the drinking full throttle. Fast forward about 20 years and it all came full circle for me. I would have panic attacks all day until I started drinking after work. I'm on Day 21 sober and the panic attacks have gone away. I firmly believe that this last bout with panic disorder was caused by alcohol.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The sooner you're able to quit drinking, the sooner the anxiety and the bodily pains should ease up.
Many of us have felt like death when we drank and were hungover or detoxing.
Stay away from Dr Google. I have every deathly disease imaginable when I was drinking. Now that I'm sober I still get pains from time to time. When I live a healthier life I feel better all around.
When I was still drinking or chose to pick up again after a period of sobriety even at much lower consumption, I would get terrible abdominal pains that had me on the floor after one or two drinks. Alcohol is poison, and after a while our bodies are not so receptive to the junk we put in it.
I agree with Carl, treating the addiction will help you to deal with the anxiety.
If you are truly suffering from anxiety outside of drinking and need to be treated for it either with medication or therapy, drinking will make you take MANY steps back in the work you do or have bad ramifications if mixing alcohol with medication.

Take good care and treat yourself and your body kindly.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
Oh, and does anyone ever have pain or tightness around the liver? Does this mean I am dying or can it heal? Please help. I need to get better.
From my own experience, alcohol is a a depressant and causes immense anxiety in people who already have an issue with anxiousness. Also, the only way to know about your liver is to go to the doctor. Dr. Google, this forum, family and or friends cannot diagnose you. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the anxiety does have a way of making us think extreme doom and gloom. That is its job. Ive been there too many times to count.
Take care of yourself and call up your physician. Rooting for you!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for replying. I do agree, drinking is an addiction, not a habit. And I only get anxiety really bad AFTER a bout of binge drinking. I think wine will help me relax after a long week, but it really just makes everything worse! Yea, maybe if I could stop after one glass, but I don't, that's why I'm an alcoholic. It is poison and is never good for me! I'm tired of being anxious and sick. Right now, I am trying to rest but I'm very nauseous. I'm having some ginger ale and trying to get thru this! Never again!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i'm glad you see the vicious cycle...thinking that alcohol will HELP, but knowing that it just makes everything worse

the cycle stops by never drinking again. but in order to do that successfully, you have to have a PLAN. there are some great threads on here about a plan, so i won't bore you.

short term - treat yourself as you would if you had the flu - get lots of rest, drink tons of water, broth, tea. if there is any booze left in the house -get rid of it. immediately.

you know next weekend is going to happen. so now is when you build your plan. you will need to do a lot of things differently. don't be afraid of it. embrace it. this is your chance and you CAN do this!!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i'm glad you see the vicious cycle...thinking that alcohol will HELP, but knowing that it just makes everything worse

the cycle stops by never drinking again. but in order to do that successfully, you have to have a PLAN. there are some great threads on here about a plan, so i won't bore you.

short term - treat yourself as you would if you had the flu - get lots of rest, drink tons of water, broth, tea. if there is any booze left in the house -get rid of it. immediately.

you know next weekend is going to happen. so now is when you build your plan. you will need to do a lot of things differently. don't be afraid of it. embrace it. this is your chance and you CAN do this!!!!
Thanks for responding. You are exactly right, I need to have a plan ready BEFORE next weekend gets here. I'm working on that, and I have ordered some books that will hopefully be here by then. I love reading. And I have some cleaning to do also to keep busy. And spend time with my kids, enjoy the outdoors if weather is nice!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In the beginning, I had terrible anxiety when I first quit. Stayed awake for almost 3straight days and nights.
Make part of your plan this coming weekend to hang out here with us.
We're kind of cool.
And relax, you've made a wonderful decision to pursue sobriety.
That's a huge step in the right direction.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
In the beginning, I had terrible anxiety when I first quit. Stayed awake for almost 3straight days and nights.
Make part of your plan this coming weekend to hang out here with us.
We're kind of cool.
And relax, you've made a wonderful decision to pursue sobriety.
That's a huge step in the right direction.

Thank you. That sounds like a great plan. I will be here 😀