How do people pay for Soberlink??

Old 03-25-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do people pay for Soberlink??

Love the technology and concept but man, it's expensive. Do people just bite the bullet and pay or is there something I am missing???
Old 03-25-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I offered to pay half the cost as a condition of my ex using it during visitation with our son in ex's home state. It got put into our custody agreement but he ended up doing an outpatient treatment so he didn't have to use Soberlink.
As for paying, yeah even half the cost would have been a big bite out of my budget, but my son's safety was the paramount concern.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not using soberlink here - but XAH pays for random drug/alcohol testing himself - passing those tests are a requirement for visitation. He was complaining for a while - but my position is that it was to facilitate his visits - if he did not do the tests there would be no visits.

IMO it's fair to ask the alcoholic party to cover Soberlink expense - part of dealing with consequences

Some people feel that it is 50% for child safety and 50% for their peace of mind - in this case an argument could be made for splitting the expense.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It could be factored into the support agreement--considered as part of the cost of supporting a child post-separation (like childcare expenses, tuition, extracurricular activities, medical expenses, etc.). Those costs (and in some states there's a formula for calculating) are typically split by factoring in the amount of time the child spends with each parent and the relative income/resources of each parent. Stuff like that can be negotiated or court-ordered.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My STBXAH paid for it himself. But I'm still paying for his cell phone (16 mos. post separation--grrrr), and when I told him that he needed to take his phone off the family bill, he said he figured it was fair since he had to pay for Soberlink. Um, ugh. But everything is a battle with him.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If my X would do it I would get another job to pay for it if I had to!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How expensive is it? My AH got a dui in Feb. hasnr driven since but 4/11 we will find out if he gets driving privileges and for what. He doesnt work so I assume it will just be for his AA meetings and counseling sessions. I am not sure if the court will reauire soberlink or not.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So Soberlink is an ignition interlock device for a car ? I had one of those a while back and it was horribly expensive. It didn't cure me of drinking, but I haven't drank and driven since. It was my 3rd DUI and the judge said in no uncertain terms that if he saw me again it'd be jailtime. Odd how it didn't scare me enough to quit drinking.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BitingTheBullet View Post
How expensive is it? My AH got a dui in Feb. hasnr driven since but 4/11 we will find out if he gets driving privileges and for what. He doesnt work so I assume it will just be for his AA meetings and counseling sessions. I am not sure if the court will reauire soberlink or not.
Soberlink is used mostly for child custody situations. Depending on the state, many require a breathalyzer be installed in the car if he is granted limited driving privileges. It can get more extensive with a 24/7 alcohol monitoring anklet a friend of mine had to wear for a year after a 2nd dui forbidding him to drink at all.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yes, Soberlink is different from an interlock device, which simply prevents a person from starting the car unless they clear the breathalyzer. Soberlink requires testing at certain intervals, and has nothing to do with a vehicle. The results are recorded and accessible to authorized entities (like the court, if it's part of a court order).
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you - that evidently hasn't reached us here in the sticks yet LOL
Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know if it varies by location, but STBXAH and I paid $119/month, and it was worth every penny in safety and security, imo. It's a Bluetooth enabled breathalyzer with photo-recognition software. Snaps a shot when he blows, and immediately sends the results to my phone and our coparenting counselor.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I literally just spoke to my attorney yesterday that I am fighting to get this for my X to have continued visitation with my child should we go to court soon. I offered that I would pay for it, she said that no, no, he will be paying for it LOL.

She just successfully got it court ordered twice just last month, so the judges here are becoming accustomed to it. Yay!