Notices

Question about Withdrawals

Old 03-24-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Withdrawals

My first withdrawal occurred a couple months ago after binge drinking for 4 days. I was highly anxious, shaky, cold and hot sweats, I thought I was coming down with a cold but my addictions worker told me it was a withdrawal.

I was sober for 9 days until last night, I drank 6 coolers. Is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms when you drink a lot less than you normally do?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
Is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms when you drink a lot less than you normally do?
I'm not sure anyone can answer that for sure. There are a number of factors...how long you've been drinking, how many attempts at quitting you've had. If your intent is to stay sober, I guess you'll find out and can tell us.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can look up "kindling". Over time, even smaller amounts of alcohol can trigger withdrawals and it only gets worse every time.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ that was my experience.

Are you feeling unwell... or fearing feeling that way?

D
Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Near the end (prob last half year) of my drinking, withdrawal had become somewhat random. Ocaisionally I could get away with 12 or 13 and wake up the next day with "normal" hangover symptoms like headache, dehydration, etc. -those were the good days!
Other times, I could have 4 or 5 and wake up in full panic mode, heart pounding and scared of the birds chirping.
It was a crap-shoot.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Silent,

I didn't have problems until I started to cut down. Then I binged.

Before that, daily drinking kept me medicated. I looked and felt exhausted all the time, but somehow I moved forward. That would have ended eventually w a stroke or something.

When I cut down, and started binge drinking, the anxiety got maddening.

That drove me to quit.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Binge drinking causes withdrawal episodes to get worse over time. Your central nervous system is like a basketball when it comes to sedative-hypnotics (alcohol and benzodiazepines like Xanax, Vallium, etc). You drop the ball when you're drinking, and then it bounces when you stop. You feel the bounce as symptoms which are opposite those of alcohol intoxication; jumpiness, anxiety, jitters, shakes, insomnia, restlessness, cold sweats, etc. That coupled with the typical hangover symptoms of nausea, vomiting, dehydration, depression, generally feeling like he!!...

Well now you know why that was the old me.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I stopped cold turkey last week after 7+ years of daily, heavy drinking, and was surprised that my symptoms weren't worse. I had some mild shaking, night sweats and still have a little trouble falling asleep and getting good, sustained sleep, but none of the doom and gloom that I was afraid of.

Hydrate and eat what you can stand to eat (mild/bland food is best I found)

Stay strong and stay connected !
Old 03-25-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
My first withdrawal occurred a couple months ago after binge drinking for 4 days. I was highly anxious, shaky, cold and hot sweats, I thought I was coming down with a cold but my addictions worker told me it was a withdrawal.

I was sober for 9 days until last night, I drank 6 coolers. Is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms when you drink a lot less than you normally do?
Yes. Happened to me sometimes.