Notices

Tired, frustrated, sober

Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired, frustrated, sober

Hey all. I haven't been a big poster on here, truth be told, I haven't been reading much lately either. Sounds funny, but it almost depresses me to read some of the posts.
Anyway, I'm 3 weeks on the wagon. Surprisingly, only the first couple days were the hardest. I was picturing a relapse a few days in, which is what I had typically done. This time around, I decided to at least get through lent, and thus far, by God's grace, I have been doing well. I am currently getting frustrated with alot of things.
I guess I had high hopes of being more ambitious, but I feel pretty tired almost all the time. I have to push myself pretty hard to get through the day. I can't seem to relax enough to fall asleep at night. I need sleep. I do not have the luxury of being able to grab a nap during the day. All of my daily struggles keep me awake, I struggle to try to find solutions to my problems. My wife seems to get on my nerves alot more than she used to.
I worry I don't spend enough time with my kids(ok, I know I don't) I rarely eat a meal with my family. My day starts at 5:30am and I generally don't get in till 9pm or later. I almost work 2 full-time jobs. By my choice. I got myself in a deep enough hole at my night job (feeding cattle) that I have to see it through to try to get back ahead. It's a time killer. Not like I'm screwing off, just alot of time consuming tasks. I used to drink when doing my nightly chores, usually could be relaxed enough by the time I was done that I could sleep, though that wasn't working anymore either.
So here I am. Frustrated with decisions I have made, mad because there actually isn't much I could have done differently. And yet here I am, still frustrated, and tired, and I have to keep going.
I miss the joy I used to get from life, the joy of getting chores done, the joy or self accomplishment of doing my best with the resources I have. I still feel I do the best I can, but I don't feel it is good enough. My family farms, I have always been a little jealous of my brother, he gets to farm for a living, I feel like I have to work twice as hard to get half as far. Don't misread this to mean we don't get along, we get along better than any other brothers I have ever seen, constantly looking out for each other, helping each other whenever we can, ect.
I think part of me still wants to get into the farming full time, but I am terrified of it.

I guess I am probably getting off track now.
I will not drink, I will keep reminding myself why I can't drink, and I will hope that things start to turn around. Both for my own situation and my family's.
That serenity prayer is a tough pill to swallow!
I actually am starting to feel better already, I think just jotting some of my random thoughts down has helped alot.
I wish the best to all of you. I wish there was more I could contribute to this site, but at the moment I am more or less just trying to keep my own head above water. Thanks to all that are here for people like me!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's completely normal to feel the way you do. Early on my emotions where everywhere. It just takes time to get better. Be patient and look for the little positives.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My AA sponsor's words have always stuck with me, "You didn't turn into a drunk in a day and you aren't going to get better in one either." Recovery takes time and there is no way around it. If you stay sober today then today has been a good day.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 3 weeks of sobriety. I do hope that you start to feel more energetic and positive. I know, at 3 weeks, I had a lot of emotional repair work to do in my family and it was very hard to feel that I would ever get beyond it. But, keeping at it every day, as you are, ensures that things will get better for you.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

3 weeks is super, you're doing great, squirrel. Keep at it.

I hear that farming is a growth industry btw. My parents both come from farming families, still have some aunts and uncles that dabble in it back in Missouri.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Squirrel

If it helps you're pretty much where most of us were around 3 weeks.
This is not the best it's going to be

Things got a lot better for me after 30 days - I hope they will for you too.

Maybe try and think a little more about balance too?
2 jobs or not, you deserve some downtime

D
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2/2016

Early on I was tired. I just tried to get through as best I could. It really does get better, now I have alot more energy and so much more pride and self-confidence. I am just over a year sober. You can do this!