Notices

Why is it Only

Old 03-23-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is it Only

Why is it only with alcohol I became addicted. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's only this and this alone I became addicted to.
I was around people taking hard drugs and smoking blow for most of my youth. I tried the odd drug, here and there, never struck me as anything fantastic and never felt the need to try them again.
I had quite a serious accident in my 30s and was on quite a lot of opiate pain medication for quite a time, never bothered me coming off it and I never craved it.
I watch 600lb life on tv and although I would love to eat all day every day the tasty and fatty and salty and sugary things that taste delicious, like the people on there, I don't.
It's just blimmin alcohol that gets it's hooks into me.
Anybody similar?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me,the answer is simply because I am an alcoholic.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just knew someone was going to say that !

What I mean is, some people, because they have had a drink problem, stay away from all "addictive" substances. And some people do and can become cross addicted, or replace on addiction with another. In some theories there is even "an addictive personality" (keep my opinions to myself on that one).
I just wondered why, some people become dependent on one drug and not another supposedly addictive drug, or food or behaviour
Old 03-23-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How many addictions do you want? One is hellish enough for me.
Support to you.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PJ Yeah, the one is enough. But sometimes I do wonder about things like that, because if you take everything into consideration, some theories on addiction don't make sense
Old 03-23-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me I believe alcohol is addictive. And it's the only legal and socially acceptable addictive drug. So access is easy and consumption is accepted, marketed, and encouraged.

I don't know that it really matters why though.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll tell you why I think this sweeping "if you get addicted to one you will get addicted to all" attitude bugs me oakleaf. I have found a few times since I had "alcohol dependent" stamped in big red letters on my medical records (it seems to me) since I tried to seek help in last few years, that the doctor sees me as something of a liability.
Even periods I have been not drinking and in genuine pain (a crushed disc in my back and a torn ligament in my knee) the doctors would not prescribe adequate pain relief. Even though, in the past (before drinking was on my records) I was prescribed morphine, didn't abuse it and didn't become addicted to it.

Same as when I went through a bout of mad insomnia and was on a hyper for about 2 weeks. I knew in the past, that one nights sleep, would bring me down and I would be ok again. I asked the doctor for ONE dose of sleeping pills. Took one look at my records..no
I got one sleeping pill from someone, took it, slept, was right as rain and wanted no more.
I just don't see why you should be labeled a raging addict ready to become addicted to anything and everything, just because one substance got you hooked on it.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joey112 View Post

It's just blimmin alcohol that gets it's hooks into me.
Anybody similar?
I drank heavily for a long time and had a long running affair with the liquid devil. Affairs seem to always bring with them trouble.

M-Bob
Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll tell you why I think this sweeping "if you get addicted to one you will get addicted to all" attitude bugs me oakleaf. I have found a few times since I had "alcohol dependent" stamped in big red letters on my medical records (it seems to me) since I tried to seek help in last few years, that the doctor sees me as something of a liability.
Even periods I have been not drinking and in genuine pain (a crushed disc in my back and a torn ligament in my knee) the doctors would not prescribe adequate pain relief. Even though, in the past (before drinking was on my records) I was prescribed morphine, didn't abuse it and didn't become addicted to it.

Same as when I went through a bout of mad insomnia and was on a hyper for about 2 weeks. I knew in the past, that one nights sleep, would bring me down and I would be ok again. I asked the doctor for ONE dose of sleeping pills. Took one look at my records..no
I got one sleeping pill from someone, took it, slept, was right as rain and wanted no more.
I just don't see why you should be labeled a raging addict ready to become addicted to anything and everything, just because one substance got you hooked on it.
I completely appreciate your viewpoint. This is my opinion and it's probably unpopular, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a "normal drinker". I believe that everyone has the propensity to become addicted to alcohol, just as any other drug if it's abused. I don't think our medical establishment understands that as alcohol is so ingrained in our culture. What you are describing is partly why people don't seek help for alcohol abuse. Once you have that "label" it follows you everywhere. I am sorry you had difficulty getting the help you needed Joey.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ive met quite a few people in AA that only had a problem with alcohol- it was their only addiction. awesome to hear it too.
for myself it was anything that( gave me the illusion that it) made me feel good.
and it didn't even have to be a substance that entered my body-I got addicted to fishing,even.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah oakleaf, someone who understands
I read Alan Carrs book in the past, and agree with that, that everyone who drinks are at different stages down the slippery slope to becoming dependent upon it.
I still cannot believe how socially acceptable this dangerous drug is. I don't buy the "most people drink normally" If you look at the warnings on the bottles/cans, it says "no more than 1-2 units a day" for women and 2-3 for men. Two units is an average glass of wine. I know no one who drinks like this! I know no one who stops at one glass of wine, they maybe stop at two, but even that is going over the recommended limit.
You are right, that label follows you everywhere. The doctor offered little to no help with stopping drinking. That on my record guarantees I will be offered no help with pain relief if anything happens to me, and to boot, any future employer is going to be put off straight away once they see my medical records

As a foot note, theres a documentary on you tube, it's a uk one but I can't remember it's name. It featured the health department wanting to put stronger warnings on alcohol and greater awareness of it's dangers. But the drinks industry fought them tooth and nail, and because the drinks industry was richer and more powerful, it blocked them at every turn and won it's case.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

tomsteve, I forgot, I had the fishing bug too! Now that is a genuine feel good experience. No nasty side effects, but a few tasty whiting for breakfast.

I can appreciate everyone is different in terms of how addiction works with them, but I still think it's unfair how doctors just lump everyone in the same and deny you treatment when you are in pain, just because you were addicted to alcohol and nothing else ,at one time
Old 03-23-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Joey- addiction does not make sense. Sure there are theories- there is real science to prove the biochemical/neuro/electro/hormomal things that happen. There is heaps of narratives and evidence of crappy childhoods, but at the end of the day- addiction defies rational thought. There are a lot of very smart people with careers who have (for the moment) everything. So why do something that is so blatantly destructive?
For me- I cannot drink. Period. I know that and so work on not drinking. Call it a disease, genetic (I am 4th gen. paternal alcie), allergy, conditioned- who cares? I cannot drink and when I did- it destroyed me, my family- everything.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did never get addicted to any other substance either. I tried smoking cigarettes for 1-2 years and got used to them but then thought I didn't want to continue wasting my money on them which could be spend on "better" things like booze. I just stopped smoking. I had no withdrawals or cravings for cigarettes since then. Same goes for weed.

That's why I thought for ages that I was "immune" to addiction and what I used to justify my daily drinking (thinking to myself that I can't be addicted to booze if I didn't get addicted to nicotine).

I did abuse what ever drug my doctors prescribed me and never got addicted to any of the Valium or sleeping pills.

I do think though, that I would easily get addicted to opiates / opioids cause I just love the feeling they give me way too much, so I make sure to stay away from them.

Another thing that I noticed is that I have serious problems to moderate anything. If i like something i want it all day everyday. I go through phases of only doing the same activity / eating the same food for a period of time, then switching to something else. I even buy the same kind of cheese over weeks and then switch to the next. So I do think that my brain has some behvioural patterns that maybe make it easier for me to become addicted to something if I really like the feeling it gives me.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do wonder about things like that, because if you take everything into consideration, some theories on addiction don't make sense
Nothing about addiction makes sense. I was one of those people who endlessly researched the "why am I an alcoholic" question. I read books, blogs, websites, research articles, you name it. I looked for medical reasons, diet reasons, hereditary reasons, etc. I sought therapy for it too.

Bottom line for me though was that the only way I was able to get free of things is to just finally accept that i AM an alcoholic, and I will never know why.

In hindsight, I was really looking for the "why" answer so i could fix whatever the problem was and start drinking normally again.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not disputing that PJ
Just curious, like I'm curious about a lot of things. I won't ever drink again, doesn't mean I can't look at things and think "What the heck happened there"

That and I hope nothing too bad happens to me in the future, because with the myths attached to alcohol addiction and lumping every "addict" in the same basket, no matter how long ago they ended their particular addiction, I don't fancy my chances of getting every treatment available from the medical profession, thanks to those words "alcohol dependent" and the connotations attached to it.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One thing you do not have to worry about....

That on my record guarantees I will be offered no help with pain relief if anything happens to me, and to boot, any future employer is going to be put off straight away once they see my medical records

Hippa laws have been in effect for quite a few years. NO ONE but you can have access to your medical records. Take that one off your worry plate...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know a lot of people like that kevlarsjal. I have read a lot of things, and most people addicted to alcohol seem to have trouble with moderation in general, just I never have. Maybe I was just in too much pain to enjoy the opiates? I didnt even like the way drink made me feel half the time. I didn't even use it for social reasons.

Can I just say, I am not looking for the reason "why" I drank in order to stop, I've already stopped and I won't start again, as that chapter is finished. Tried every way humanly possible to be able to drink "normally" Alcohol is a substance that I would put under the kitchen sink next to the bleach now, drinking either would be the death of me.
I don't see any harm in being curious about addiction related research and the like though. As I said, I am curious about a lot of things.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not in the UK MCB
My GP has access, if I need hospital treatment, they are passed to the hospital or vice versa. I have seen my records once.
It was that one time I saw them that I found out I was born alcohol dependent, that it caused weakness to my leg muscles (that got better in time) and impaired certain cognitive functions, and that those pills I was given for my hyperactivity between the ages of 3 and 10 were amphetamines.
Some firms that you apply for jobs to also make you sign a permission slip for them to see your medical records
Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, joey, and welcome. My own feeling is that addictions are complicated and unique to the individual. Yes, there are commonalities, but what works for one person may not for another. We just have to figure out what works for us. Don't stop trying. Many of us tried many times to moderate or stop altogether before we found success. Hang in there.