Notices

First Post

Old 03-22-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

I've never reached out about my problems with alcohol, and I'm not even sure how to start this post.

I have been struggling for about five years now and I'm beginning to notice how self-destructive it is. I consistently tell myself that drinking is only going to make everything worse, and that's exactly what happens.

I wake up the morning after feeling nothing but regret, remorse and misery. But I consistently fall back into the cycle. I finally started to push myself to be realistic with what's happening.

There are so many horrific and traumatic experiences that I can attribute to my alcohol abuse. It heightens my suicidal tendencies and exacerbates my depression to unbearable levels.

It needs to stop and I have to stop it from consuming me. I don't know where else to go, and I'm terrified that if I don't at least try to nip it in the bud now, it'll kill me. Sooner rather than later.

-M
Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

MH,
I'm sorry your having a rough time. I was pretty much down and out when I came here. It's a ton of work but quitting for good will change everything. You have to want it more than anything else in the world.

Take care of yourself and make a detailed plan. You can do it. It all starts with day one my friend. Welcome to SR you will find so many that understand.

Please don't be afraid to reach out. None of us got sober alone. Post as much as you like.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MHC - I can completely identify with your post. I landed here in much the same situation.

I found a lot of support here, encouragement and understanding. ]
I got back some hope which I sorely needed.

SR helped me turn my life around. I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. The simple fact that you recognize what it is doing to you and your life gives you a leg up, if you will. Many of us have simply had enough and want to reclaim some normalcy in our lives. You can too. I wish you the best.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, I can relate, too. I could have written your post.
All the days drinking and then the crash. The guilt, shame horrible anxiety and remorse.
I went through that cycle for pretty much twenty years. My life was a nightmare to say the least, but yet, I could not stop despite all my best intensions, solemn oaths and consequences of my drinking.

I needed help. I came here and met others just like me. I went to AA and found many people, most of us with little in common except a desire to stop drinking.
It took me awhile and some failures, but a bug had been planted in my thick skull. My drinking was never the same thinking of these people who were maintaining sobriety.
I gave up and gave in. Alcohol had won.
I went to those meetings regularly. I read the stories here. Something clicked, there was a way out if I was willing. And to go to any length to quit.

I was a bad drunk and it's now been over six years since alcohol crossed my lips.
You can do it, too. Put the energy you put into drinking into getting sober. Be open minded and willing to follow some simple suggestions.
I'm pulling for you friend. I've been there and came out alive and have been given a daily reprieve from alcohol.
I wish the same for you.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. Do you have a counsellor to talk to about the suicidal thoughts? On the ground support? Perhaps see a doc for physical- diet/sleeping/fluids/sleep can have a massive influence on emotions/coping.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)