Puffy face

Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Puffy face

With help, my friend has been trying to kick her alcohol abuse habit. She has not had a drink in 10 days. I am very happy for her but she is now smoking marijuana and calling it her medicine. I have noticed that since she stopped her face is extremely puffy. Is there an explanation for this? I thought people who drank suffered from puffy faces. Why did her puffy face begin after she stopped drinking?

This is someone that won't visit a doctor so I'm not sure if the liver is damaged. It just seems odd to develop this symptom after alcohol cessation.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Exhausing! I'm glad you found us.

It must be hard to see your friend going through this. Unfortunately 10 days with out alcohol and switching to pot does not mean she is in recovery. I'm not sure what the puffy face means but probably not good.

You might poke around in the stickies at the top of this forum. There is lots of information.

The best thing you can do is take care of yourself.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Exhausting.....it is just an off the wall speculation...
But, I am wondering if she is extra hungry (munchies)....and now eating a lot of stuff with salt...which can give a puffy appearance due to retaining fluid....?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

While I wholeheartedly buy the munchies-theory , I also have to point out that detoxing from alcohol isn't pretty. It can take a lot out of the body/skin as the toxins flush out & overload the system at times. The body is also trying to kick start re-regulating things like hormones & vitamin absorption, etc - there are SO many things at play here that it's impossible to speculate, IMO.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol abuse can make mucus in the paratid glands ( either side of the face ) sticky and they swell due to mucus retention. My exah looks like a hamster cos of that and that is what his doctor told him was the cause.