Notices

Re-Intro

Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Re-Intro

Hello All! I wanted to post a quick re-intro. I haven't posted here in almost a year, but I come here often to read. I am happy to report that today I am 107 days sober.

I had some ups and downs grappling with this over the last year, and added things to my plan to strengthen it. One of the major contributors to my success I believe is that my significant other has also quit. This is huge support to me as we were both problem drinkers and drinking is an activity we shared.

I also started following some recovery blogs where I found a blog called Hip Sobriety. The girl who runs it also does an online sobriety coaching program which I signed up for last fall. Through that process I started incorporating more things into my plan such as meditation and breathing exercises, positive affirmations, etc. Her message really resonated with me as it treats sobriety as a proud and healthy choice, rather than a sad consequence or sacrifice, or "punishment" that it can sometimes feel like. I also ended up meeting a few other participants of the program IRL. I thought I'd share that resource as I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before.

I also started to listen to recovery podcasts regularly, read more books on the topic, make exercise a priority (although it always kind of was for me). Read Dee's link on making a plan and started getting a binder together on that. I figured coming back to SR and participating more often will be another part of my plan. Trying to keep it a priority every day and also keep it fresh so I don't get complacent.

I am very happy I am where I am today and can honestly say I'm happy and my marriage has never been better. I wanted newcomers to know too that it is possible!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I havnt had a plan to date but it's time to make one. Congrats on 107 days.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back oakleaf and congrats on your sober time

D
Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back and congratulations on 107 days of recovery.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I havnt had a plan to date but it's time to make one. Congrats on 107 days.
Thanks SoberNunn! Having a plan has helped so much!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oakleaf82 View Post
Hello All! I wanted to post a quick re-intro. I haven't posted here in almost a year, but I come here often to read. I am happy to report that today I am 107 days sober.

I had some ups and downs grappling with this over the last year, and added things to my plan to strengthen it. One of the major contributors to my success I believe is that my significant other has also quit. This is huge support to me as we were both problem drinkers and drinking is an activity we shared.

I also started following some recovery blogs where I found a blog called Hip Sobriety. The girl who runs it also does an online sobriety coaching program which I signed up for last fall. Through that process I started incorporating more things into my plan such as meditation and breathing exercises, positive affirmations, etc. Her message really resonated with me as it treats sobriety as a proud and healthy choice, rather than a sad consequence or sacrifice, or "punishment" that it can sometimes feel like. I also ended up meeting a few other participants of the program IRL. I thought I'd share that resource as I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before.

I also started to listen to recovery podcasts regularly, read more books on the topic, make exercise a priority (although it always kind of was for me). Read Dee's link on making a plan and started getting a binder together on that. I figured coming back to SR and participating more often will be another part of my plan. Trying to keep it a priority every day and also keep it fresh so I don't get complacent.

I am very happy I am where I am today and can honestly say I'm happy and my marriage has never been better. I wanted newcomers to know too that it is possible!
Hi Oakleaf82. Congratulations on your success. I hope to be where you are now in 82 days! Thanks so much for all of the ideas to "spicing up" one's recovery.

My DH and I are doing this together. It's good to know that it's actually possible for a married couple, who are both alcoholics to get sober together.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

107 days - something to be so proud of, oakleaf. Good to see you.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Hi Oakleaf82. Congratulations on your success. I hope to be where you are now in 82 days! Thanks so much for all of the ideas to "spicing up" one's recovery.

My DH and I are doing this together. It's good to know that it's actually possible for a married couple, who are both alcoholics to get sober together.

Awesome CreativeThinker! I know you'll be where I am in 82 days! It has been so nice having my partner on board, I am glad you have your husband to quit with you as well.