The Journey to Remembering

Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Journey to Remembering

I hope this applies for some people. This is a short video by Derrick Jensen, who is actually an environmental activist and author of books that decry civilization.

He also has written books on abuse and abusers, based on his own FOO story about his father who abused his mother.

Many alcoholics defend their addiction by becoming abusers--psychological and/or physical--even if they are "good people" when sober.

I liked this video because while it's not specifically about alcoholism (although he does reference AA at one point), it talks about first steps in "remembering" or "re-membering"--how to go back to finding who you were before you gave yourself up to the faulty perceptions you develop while under the thrall of the alcoholic. My therapist once told me I was "in thrall" to my AH. She was right then, and she's still right. So it was helpful to hear how to break that thrall and return to the ME that I was before getting sucked in and confused.

If calling your alcoholic an "abuser" seems harsh, just substitute "the alcoholic" whenever he says "abuser" or "perpetrator."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M861sFRVTMs
Old 03-19-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

S,
My therapist told me that we were in a spider web, all entangled together. It took me years to untangle. I like having my own web, now.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. Helpful video. I felt a few lights going on in my head as i watched it.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you- good video!!