Notices

Three weeks Alcoholand drug free. But depressed.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three weeks Alcoholand drug free. But depressed.

So Friday was three weeks for me. I nave thought I could get a week much less three.
I am struggling with depression quite a bit.
I want to get out and start walking / running but I can't seem to get my but off the couch.
I want to be able to run a 10 k in 8 weeks and keep losing weight.
I have dropped 15 pounds just from not drinking and eating healthier.
Any suggestions to get my butt off of the couch and out the door?
I know I will feel better if I do it but my mind just keeps putting it off.

Hope you are all having a safe sober weekend

asixstringnut
Old 03-18-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm at 3 weeks too but I haven't lost a damn pound.... although I have to say that I've been eating like a champ! I've been hitting the sugar in a major way. Congrats on both the weight loss and three weeks.

There's a saying that a body in motion stays in motion..... so turn off the tv and get out and get active. Make a rule that the tv can't go on till a certain time of day or until you've gotten xyz done. Are those your dogs in your pic? Take those furry friends out to the dog park or something?

I've been doing some yoga. Just YouTube videos mostly but it helps with anxiety and stress. If that's not your thing there's tons of other workout videos on there.

Good luck and keep up the good work! Even if you are feeling kinda down right now you must be feeling much better from not pouring that poison down your throat anymore.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exclamation

....I've been hitting the sugar in a major way. ....

Try to watch out for the sugar and foods that break down easily into sugar if you can, especially early on......myths aside, alcohol is not sugar, but replacing alcohol with sugar has a curious way in some people of leading them straight back to alcohol.

Last edited by MarkTwain; 03-18-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-18-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found that if I just get out the door and start moving, within no time I am in a much better frame of mind. When I am not feeling like getting out I remind myself how much better it makes me feel.
I have always been a walker and when I was younger I did a fair amount of running. I started running 2 weeks ago. The last time I ran was over 20 years ago! Granted, it is not very fast and I am sure, not very pretty, but it has been making me feel powerful in a very good way. I am putting my welfare first. I like this new, healthier me. Once I start to move, I am good to go.
Would a walking partner possibly help?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

maybe start small, instead of thinking about a marathon, try just a walk around the block and then build on that.

I have depression and know how hard it can be to get started.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would lose my mind without my daily hour walk.

You and your dogs would likely be much happier, too.

Just do it.

Congrats on that three weeks! That's huge! Pat yourself on the back. No wait, give yourself a good shove - out the door.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All is Change

when I just observe the breath coming in and going out in the area of the nose I'm observing a gross truth but a truth nevertheless. The longer I observe that truth the clearer I see it.

as I observe that truth I become aware of subtler truths like my mind wanders.
As I continue to observe the truth of my breath I become aware that the mind is drawn away from the present moment into remembering and fantasising. Sometimes it seems like it goes to anything and anywhere but the present as it is.

I become aware that a reason for my procrastination is the habitual unwillingness to live in the present.

In order to live in the present I have to face it, to be aware of it.

as I become aware of the present I find that ability to get up and do things in the present increases.

Therefore, my recomendation is to study truth because it will lead to awareness of truths. For me the jump off point to inner truths is the simple truth of my breath is coming in and my breath is going out
Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here asixstringnut - if the depression is a new thing, getting active might help it dissipate,..just a little thing like walking the dogs each day may well help

D

D