Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

"Sometime in early sobriety I concluded that I could do anything -- or I could drink."

Notices

"Sometime in early sobriety I concluded that I could do anything -- or I could drink."

Old 03-18-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone sent this in to advice columnist Carolyn Hax some years ago. It was in response to another submission that I can't remember or find, but it has great value on its own, I think.

I remember thinking once that it would be more helpful or empowering to think of my sobriety as a trade or transaction rather than as a sacrifice or something I'm losing or giving up. I am exchanging drinking for a long list of benefits. This letter to Carolyn Hax is along those same lines. It's a pretty inspirational message to ANYONE, in recovery or not:

------------------------

Sometime in early sobriety I concluded that I could do anything — or I could drink. You know, alcoholics and addicts spend an inordinate amount of time sitting on barstools talking about what they are “going to do someday.” In those early days I was busting with energy — take a fifth of scotch a day out of a man’s life and he has plenty of energy — and needed to do more than sit in AA and talk. The energy was both physical and mental.

So I ran, went back to the gym, swam, focused on my work, came to terms with a bad marriage, etc. And decided to actually engage in some of those pursuits I thought about.

Those early thoughts evolved into the concept of trying something new every year. I learned to fly, became a moderately adept sailor, still work with a trainer at the gym three times a week, took a second master’s in a subject unrelated to my other degrees. Doors open that open new doors. Two years ago, my wife and I (second marriage — 28 wonderful years) were on camels in the Sahara. This year I was asked to head the Eucharistic Ministry in my church, taking the sacraments to those most in need.

I’ve kind of gotten a reputation around AA of pushing those I sponsor to try new things, open their lives. It works. I could tell you many stories ranging from a woman with such low self-esteem that she didn’t think she could possibly go to college in middle life; she long ago got her MSW, became a licensed counselor and now works in grief counseling. A couple of guys have hiked the Appalachian Trail.

I suggest you can make life your bucket list. Do something new every year and every year will be a gift of extraordinary value. So far, no one has told me that trying something new periodically is a lousy idea.

Anonymous

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.0f1483005e39
Old 03-18-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a great article, MeSo!

Makes me want to do stuff!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh poop. Meant to post this in the big Newcomer forum.

(Glad it inspires you Gilmer! I printed it out six years ago and have saved it since!)

Dee or Anna, could one of you please move it over there maybe?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish I had the energy to do get at least all my daily tasks done. At 5 months sober I still feel like rubbish. I do have a much clearer head but definitely had more energy when I still was drinking. Dealing with reality exhausts me.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved it. Thanks for sharing this MeSo

D