Epiphany

Old 03-17-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Epiphany

As I've previously posted, I left my AH on Monday after 9 years together (7.5 married).

I went through the wringer trying to hold my family together. Obviously he chose the bottle.

At some point, the romantic love I once had for my husband...it died. But I continued to hang on to hope despite the abuse, the withdrawal from everything and everyone, the dysfunctional life I was living, and the hurt and confusion that all of it was causing my three children.

Why?! It hit me tonight. After a while, I wasn't hanging on to my AH. He honestly wasn't worth hanging on to quite some time ago. I WAS HANGING ON TO MY INVESTMENT IN HIM AND MY MARRIAGE. So much time and energy invested in building a marriage, family, businesses. And, most of all, in hoping he'd get sober and find professional counseling so that my family didn't fall apart.

Honestly, I used to think this man was my soul mate. In actuality, he's a dysfunctional, angry and abusive drunk. My fear wasn't based on losing him...it was all about losing my investment in him and our life together. Losing years of my life to such nonsense. I wanted it to be worth the struggle and strife in the end.

I'm here to say that it didn't turn out the way I thought I wanted it to. It turned out much BETTER. I'm happier and feeling more peaceful than I have in years. Same with my kids. Everything is coming together. And I rarely think of him, when his craziness was all I ever thought about over the past several years. He ruled our lives with negativity and fear. I'm free and starting a new chapter with excitement and hope for the future. THIS...Me...My wonderful children...this is my investment now. And it's a worthwhile investment that will have great returns! ❤
Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So good to hear this Musically. I didn't marry my qualifier nor have children still it was so very hard to let go. Congrats for this.

Healing, peace and joy to you.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 03-18-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. Just... WOW. That is a very true epiphany you had and so true of many of us here. Thanks for this brilliant post! I hope many others can relate to this truth that hit you!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great to read your post. Wishing you all the very best, you deserve it.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

musiclady, I'm glad you've had that revelation, b/c it really does change everything, doesn't it? I eventually came to a similar conclusion in my own situation. I've posted previously about the night I learned about the drinking and how I ended the evening outside, shoveling snow and crying, thinking "I don't want to be nearly 50 and starting over again."

I let that thought run the show, and what it got me was being 55 and starting over. Smart move, right?

I think another thing that happens to many of us (it certainly did to me) is that when we think we're mourning the loss of our relationship, we are actually grieving the loss of our dreams, NOT the actual loss of someone who, as you point out, is often angry, abusive, self-centered, emotionally unavailable, etc. What we're really mourning is the loss of what we hoped for, what we imagined, what we believed the future held for us.

Here are a couple of readings on that topic. Maybe they'll be helpful to you as you work through this part of your life.

https://www.cottonwooddetucson.com/p...ner-112011.pdf

https://www.cottonwooddetucson.com/p...ner-112011.pdf
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What we're really mourning is the loss of what we hoped for, what we imagined, what we believed the future held for us.

****IT HURTS ***** sometimes I can't even breathe < but I pick myself up then I hear about him partying with bar chick which hurts even deeper ...was I the only one with almost 11 years invested in this relationship? I pick myself up again and the saga continues> One day I too will be free of this loss > Its just the process but it isn't easy
Old 03-18-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, Musiclady. Glad the move went well. Amazing what clarity we find when we are not enmeshed in the drama. Good luck. You sound great!
Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One day I too will be free of this loss > Its just the process but it isn't easy
Truer words were never spoken!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post!

My XAH is acting like he wants to get back together and my thought is "why would I want to do THAT?"

Congratulations on your freedom - I can relate to the "boulder of me back" feeling"