Notices

i need a little help here

Old 03-17-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i need a little help here

Hello guys my name is Mario I had a couple of questions so I've been drinking since I was 17 and I'm 26 now I considered my self a heavy drinker not daily but at least 3 times out of the week every since I started , and I drink till Im drunk in average I would say about 30 to 40 beverages a week for the past 9 years last year I realized my anxiety was getting worse I always had it but never had a problem with it just last year was becoming an issue I was a really happy peaceful friendly drinker but I would say the last 6 months of drinking I would get angry mad irritated about little things I would show it I would counter attack it by showing love and affection but inside I felt scared and I knew that wasn't me I thought it would pass but it didn't on Christmas I noticed I wasn't exited like usually am I just wasn't feeling like my self all around but kept my life the same till one night on January that I drank and smoked a little too much I had a really bad panic attack i felt like I was loosing control I believe everything hit me at once since I had a really bad stomach flu I lost 30 pounds due to that panic attack and kept getting sick and what I had gone through at the moment so I decide to top drinking I have two months completely sober now but I still feel scared every morning of it coming back and that makes me anxious and living like that makes me depress I wake up blue everyday now but somehow I become positive throughout the day how long until my body and mind get back to normal ? And what can I do to speed the process ?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To me it was like a bad breakup from a toxic relationship. You know it's not good for you but, you stay,because it's what you know and feel comfortable. So, just like 'heartbreak' it'll take time. How much time? Who knows? Just focus on doing positive things that you enjoy. Try and be happy that the toxic relationship is over for good.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello
Can you talk to a doc about your anxiety?
For me personally, my anxiety pretty much went away after about a week or two, but I don't think I had anxiety before I started drinking.
I also do lots of things which support my recovery or not drinking, like art therapy, exercise, reading, posting on here lots, watching crime documentaries
maybe in the mornings you can wake up a bit earlier and fit in a nice walk which I find helps clear my head and gets me ready to take on the day in a happier frame of mind.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 2 months of sobriety!

Hopefully you will feel better soon. And, as time goes by, I think you will feel less scared about the alcoholism returning. Are you adding things to your life to help support your recovery, such as exercise?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your two months sober. Have you thought about seeing a doctor? 30 lbs is a lot of weight. Might be something else going on.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Mario, thank you for joining this forum. Stick around. Among all the helpful suggestions people have for coping with and overcoming I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. Remember the most important thing is always to not pick up that first drink.

Are you getting enough good nourishment? Make sure you get enough movement into your life. Walk, run, etc.?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mario!!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support guys yes I joined a couple of soccer teams I started going to the gym at least once a week and about my anxiety I did talk to my doctor but I'm honestly scared to take medication for it idk why I'm just not there yet and I also checked with the doctors about my weight I'm 5'7 and was 167 which is a bit overweight I'm now 140 which i guess is normal but they told me everything was good with my ultra sound and my blood test came back good they said it might had been stress why I went through that rough patch in the first place and because I'm eating more fruits and vegetables now instead of fast food and also all the beer weight is no longer there they told me that's the reason for my weight
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppy79 View Post
Hello
For me personally, my anxiety pretty much went away after about a week or two, but I don't think I had anxiety before I started drinking.
I also do lots of things which support my recovery or not drinking, like art therapy, exercise, reading, posting on here lots, watching crime documentaries
maybe in the mornings you can wake up a bit earlier and fit in a nice walk which I find helps clear my head and gets me ready to take on the day in a happier frame of mind.
I have talk to my doctor but since I'm seeing improvements I rather see the outcome naturally but you're absolutely right about the walk in the morning I have been thinking about it for the longest I just haven't had the energy since I been sleeping in late but I am going to try and be better at that
Old 03-17-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
Mario, thank you for joining this forum. Stick around. Among all the helpful suggestions people have for coping with and overcoming I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. Remember the most important thing is always to not pick up that first drink.

Are you getting enough good nourishment? Make sure you get enough movement into your life. Walk, run, etc.?
Thank you for your support and yes I'm sure i will just taking one day at a time and I'm trying but I think I'm doing something wrong since I keep getting sick from the flu or just a regular cold which is normal around here where I live everyone is been sick this year I'm just going to try and do my best so my immune system can be stronger next winter I'm sure it'll just get there just by not drinking and not staying up late drinking
Old 03-17-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Congratulations on your two months sober. Have you thought about seeing a doctor? 30 lbs is a lot of weight. Might be something else going on.
Thank you so much yeah I actually saw a gastroenterologist about a month ago but everything came back fine but she said I was at a good weight I was 167 before this now I'm 140 and I'm 5'7 she said everything seemed fine she said it was the stress combined with anxiety that wasn't letting me eat
Old 03-17-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Congratulations on 2 months of sobriety!

Hopefully you will feel better soon. And, as time goes by, I think you will feel less scared about the alcoholism returning. Are you adding things to your life to help support your recovery, such as exercise?
Thank you for your support and I think I'm good about not touching a drink ever again I'm actually scared of having another one of those panic attacks because I had a couple when I was about 3 weeks sober and every morning I feel like I'm going to have one of those days but I manage to snap out of it and yes I recently joined two soccer teams and the gym at least once a week
Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppy79 View Post
Hello
I have but I guess you can say I'm stubborn because I don't want to go on medication idk why I'm just afraid of it I feel like if I have a bit of energy I can fight it off naturally would you suggest any books that would take my mind off things ? Thank you for your support
About the walks you're absolutely right I know it would help I been thinking about it for the longest but since the anxiety keeps me up at night I don't have the energy to wake up the next morning but I'm going to try my hardest and change that
Old 03-17-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
To me it was like a bad breakup from a toxic relationship. You know it's not good for you but, you stay,because it's what you know and feel comfortable. So, just like 'heartbreak' it'll take time. How much time? Who knows? Just focus on doing positive things that you enjoy. Try and be happy that the toxic relationship is over for good.
Thank you for your support you're right I went to the rough path already it's uphill from now on thank you
Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also battle with bad anxiety/depression issues I would try to hide with alcohol, and it sound like you may have them as well. I would suggest starting to see a therapist which would likely help quite a bit.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All is Change

Ok, sounds good. One thing to keep in mind when going sober is that your body, and mind, is getting rid of stored toxins. It doesn't necessarily feel good. Persisiting with doing the right thing not only speeds up this cleansing but also establishes a new habit pattern for when these feelings or sensations come up.

I found that I was wheat intolerant and switching to rye was a good move. The anxiety improved. It is possible that it's worth exploring allergies.

Anyway, sounds like you are doing ok. You refer to the doctor when necessary. Yoou are eating and exercising. And you are communicating. All good. Keep it up.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I also battle with bad anxiety/depression issues I would try to hide with alcohol, and it sound like you may have them as well. I would suggest starting to see a therapist which would likely help quite a bit.
Same here I never really tried hiding it though I guess alcohol was just a part of my life before I even realized how my life was turning I hit rock bottom but I'm taking it like wake up call to be the person I always wanted to be it ain't going to be easy but it's going to be worth it at the end just have to trust the process thank you for taking your time to respond I wish you luck and remember you're not alone 😊
Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
Ok, sounds good. One thing to keep in mind when going sober is that your body, and mind, is getting rid of stored toxins. It doesn't necessarily feel good. Persisiting with doing the right thing not only speeds up this cleansing but also establishes a new habit pattern for when these feelings or sensations come up.

I found that I was wheat intolerant and switching to rye was a good move. The anxiety improved. It is possible that it's worth exploring allergies.

Anyway, sounds like you are doing ok. You refer to the doctor when necessary. Yoou are eating and exercising. And you are communicating. All good. Keep it up.
You're right about everything thank you so much I really appreciate It thank you for taking your time to respond
Old 03-17-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
All is Change

You're most welcome, Mario. As the anxiety starts to settle it can be a good idea to challenge yourself. Do things you might usually shy away from because they cause anxiety. Retake control over your life. And always, own your progress. It's yours as a result of steps you choose to take. Therefore you help yourself to own any setbacks and learn from them and turn them into progress.

Another thing I find very helpful on this path is mindful meditation practised regularly and as I do things during the day. It focuses and calms.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi. Glad you're here and sober, and recognising that this is just the start and may take some time.

I managed a month sober on my own, and by the end of that time ever felt I was going crazy. Stopping drinking didn't seem to be making things better. So, in the end I bit the bullet and went along to my first AA meeting - if I'm honest, in the hope that they'd say I wasn't alcoholic and somehow give me some pointers about how to drink normally. Lol. After all, I'd managed a whole month without drinking, so I couldn't be alcoholic right? Besides, it's not like I used to drink EVERY day when I was drinking either.
Of course, they said no such thing, but they did give me some useful information and insight into Living Sober. I don't know what I expected, but I suppose I thought there would be more emphasis on how to actually stop drinking than there was. I was surprised to see that of the 12 steps on the poster, only the very first one even mentioned alcohol.

Like you, I was putting a lot of emphasis on physical recovery, and hadn't paid much mind to the inside stuff. I just thought if my body got healthy and I 'broke the habit', then the other stuff (losing the anxiety etc) would just follow. But for me, and many others, that's simply not the case. It required a shift of thinking that needed some real changes in how I thought about things to happen. In short, I'd stopped my alcoholic drinking, but my alcoholic thinking and feelings (about life and people and myself) was still rampant. I needed a decent recovery plan. Okay, so it still took me a few months of pain and, eventually, suicidal thoughts to push me to the place where I was teachable and willing to ask for help and start listening and learning and actually doing this, but that was what really made a difference to the quality of my sobriety in the end.

For me, AA and the 12 step program (worked with a sponsor) have been a big part of that recovery process, but there are other options. Why not have a good read through the links on Dee's thread and see what things you could try adding in to your day.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB