Notices

I am an owner-operator of a restaurant

Old 03-16-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am an owner-operator of a restaurant

It's tough. I watch guests come in and out. Some I know are "normal" drinkers and others I can easily identify as not being. Maybe I opened this place as an excuse. Who knows. I never work drunk. I can't. At least I have that much sense about me. However I clear everyone out at the end of the night including staff and I drink myself crazy while cleaning. Sometimes I sleep behind the bar instead of going home. Wake up and carry on.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sober4mdtoday; glad you found this encouraging, supportive and understanding site.

Have a look around the site, giving special attention to the 'stickies' at the top of the Newcomer's, Newcomers' Daily support, and Alcoholism forums. There is a wealth of information and wisdom in those.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi and welcome Sober4mdtoday
Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here's a link to a great thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst
Old 03-16-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can change our routines., I think - maybe someone else can clean and lock up for you some nights? or you can do it with a partner?

D
Old 03-16-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post

Last edited by Dee74; 03-17-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sober4mdtoday!!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is always hope if you truly want to change and do something about your problem.

The question is, what are you willing to do to get that change? As someone else suggested already, how about having an employee stay and close with you, I am sure that would at least curb your drinking a bit.

Are you ready to change?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sober4mdtoday! I'm glad you found us here. I know full well the challenge of restaurant work while trying to be sober; I've been a chef for 25 years and involved in restaurants for nearly 30. It can be tough. But it's not impossible! When I quit drinking I didn't tell anyone since I was ashamed that I could no longer "handle" drinking. I can tell you though that after a while everything changed. Eventually I didn't envy those who could still go out and get wasted...I felt bad for all those dummies crawling in in the morning looking like something the cat dug up. Think about it- if you worked in an ER would you be jealous of the guys that come in with gunshot wounds or severed limbs? That's what booze is to a problem drinker; it's a mortal wound. Who would want that for themselves?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveM1488 View Post
There is always hope if you truly want to change and do something about your problem.

The question is, what are you willing to do to get that change? As someone else suggested already, how about having an employee stay and close with you, I am sure that would at least curb your drinking a bit.

Are you ready to change?
All true!

Welcome. Do you want to be sober?

I work in a restaurant and totally relate to the part about seeing all kinds of people and their drinking alcoholic/non-alcoholic behavior. To me, doesn't matter any more than as a sort of sociological/anthropological observational stance I get to take. My sobriety helps me see ALL clearly- and I actually enjoy the environment where I can have constant reminders and reinforcement that sobriety is the better (and for me necessary) choice.

Good luck.