question

Old 03-14-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question

I was speaking to a friend and she asked does the vodka bottles hidden in the garage , under the sinks etc really mean my STBXAH is a alcoholic? For some reason she feels I'm overly sensitive or insensitive to people who drink because I don't drink.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try to remember that people with no personal experience with addiction cannot even begin to fathom the issue or the depth and kinds of problems that come with it.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does it matter what you call it?

Or maybe she knows someone else who does this and is trying to diagnose them.

This is why Al Anon is such a good idea. People there get it and mostly friends and family in the world at large don't.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd reply, "Do NORMAL people hide their liquor bottles or just keep them in a cabinet?"
Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was speaking to a friend and she asked does the vodka bottles hidden in the garage , under the sinks etc really mean my STBXAH is a alcoholic?

Maybe she know someone else who does this and is wondering or maybe she does it herself and doesn't see a problem with it. It doesn't really matter what she thinks or why she said it tho. Unless she educates herself on alcohol abuse she won't get it. I found no one got it except people on this forum.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Does it matter what you call it?

Or maybe she knows someone else who does this and is trying to diagnose them.

This is why Al Anon is such a good idea. People there get it and mostly friends and family in the world at large don't.
I don't believe she was trying to diagnose someone else because she went on to say STBXH couldn't be that bad because he provided financially. This is the confusion I hate. uugghhh.....
I said to her at the end of the day I sold my peace of mind, my sanity , my heart for that check. Because it came with to high of a price. Her response to me was but "now your looking at being in the poor house, still depressed and divorced."
Somebody help because I see her point and mine. Which one of us is right?This mental strain is to much for me
Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

saving, I think Sparkle Kitty is absolutely right--"regular" folks don't get it. In fact, part of the reason it took me so long to get out of a situation that clearly wasn't changing was that I so often asked myself "is it really that bad?" I mean, he did lie to me and had spent a ton of joint funds w/o my knowledge or consent, he was emotionally unavailable and had no interest in getting any help or changing a single thing, but it's not like he beat me or had a bunch of DUIs, and he did hold a job...

I didn't get it myself until I'd read here enough times "is that good enough for you? Is that what you want from a partner?" When I finally was able to answer that question honestly, the answer was no.

So the minimizing can come from inside as well as from outside, to be sure.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by savingmein2017 View Post
I don't believe she was trying to diagnose someone else because she went on to say STBXH couldn't be that bad because he provided financially. This is the confusion I hate. uugghhh.....
I said to her at the end of the day I sold my peace of mind, my sanity , my heart for that check. Because it came with to high of a price. Her response to me was but "now your looking at being in the poor house, still depressed and divorced."
Somebody help because I see her point and mine. Which one of us is right?This mental strain is to much for me :(
Trust your gut, my friend.

I don't talk about important life events with people who I cannot trust to be supportive.

Now you know that person is not to be in your inner circle. If it's a close friend or family member, I'd distance myself for a while, or at least not discuss this with her. Sounds like my family.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by savingmein2017 View Post
Somebody help because I see her point and mine. Which one of us is right?This mental strain is to much for me
"High-functioning" (i.e., the ability to provide a paycheck) is a STAGE of alcoholism, not a TYPE.

Your friend does not get what it's like to be partnered with someone who looks good on paper but isn't available emotionally behind closed doors. She doesn't have to get it. You're the only one who does.

You can recover from financial strain, depression, and divorce, and you WILL recover from those things. Whether he will recover from his issues is out of your control.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
saving, I think Sparkle Kitty is absolutely right--"regular" folks don't get it. In fact, part of the reason it took me so long to get out of a situation that clearly wasn't changing was that I so often asked myself "is it really that bad?" I mean, he did lie to me and had spent a ton of joint funds w/o my knowledge or consent, he was emotionally unavailable and had no interest in getting any help or changing a single thing, but it's not like he beat me or had a bunch of DUIs, and he did hold a job...

I didn't get it myself until I'd read here enough times "is that good enough for you? Is that what you want from a partner?" When I finally was able to answer that question honestly, the answer was no.

So the minimizing can come from inside as well as from outside, to be sure.
i've asked that question "is it really that bad?" tooo many times ,,, i know the answer is NO
But that no has cost me so much ~ in a different way now... I'm trying to be so strong but I'm so afraid
Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Always remember that many people hide the true amount of
alcohol they drink and the level of dysfunction in their lives.

She sounds like she wants you to join the "misery loves company"
group and help rationalize her own poor choices. Unhealthy
folks many times resent others getting healthy and try to
sabotage, so don't take the bait. And probably good for you to
be around those who are more supportive & understand.

And.......have you read the "quackers" in the stickies at the top
of this forum? Her remark belongs in there.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
totfit

Not a good sign whether Alcoholic or whatever you want to call it. Anything you are hiding does not usually indicate good behavior.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

she doesn't sound like much of a "friend"?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Get new friends.

A true friend would respect your judgment and support you.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Agreed. That's not any kind of friend I'd want.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

She doesn't sound like she has a clue to what's really going on. I would personally stick with people who actually have lived through it that know what they're talking about.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
She doesn't sound like she has a clue to what's really going on. I would personally stick with people who actually have lived through it that know what they're talking about.
I agree she has no clue. Her point was more from " we all have faults , no one is perfect,stand by your man" mentality...
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There is a saying on here, marriage is not a suicide pact.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
There is a saying on here, marriage is not a suicide pact.

~Someone who is worthy of your love will never
put you in a situation where you feel you must
sacrifice your dignity,your integrity, or your self-
worth to be with them~( STBXAH DID)
and he doesn't care. He told her our marriage failed because of no intimacy....smh

Not because he called me some nasty names and apologized the next day and felt I should just get over it ( how can you be intimate with some one who could call you nasty names when he gets mad)

Not because he was gone out every weekend

Not because he was snoring on the couch every weekday from vodka ...I can go on and on ...

Its down right embarrassing what I endured( which doesn't make me look good) but still I tell the truth
Why won't STBXAH just tell the truth
Old 03-14-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No one knows what the future holds, but I think what you are doing
takes courage and at your core, you know it is what you had to do.

I do think your x is going to crash & burn badly though.

Wise people recognize wisdom in others and also those who
are full of cra@. Don't be embarrassed, he is proving how
incompetent he is as a mature adult, and he may never admit the
truth to himself, much less anyone else.