Notices

12 years and relapsed

Old 03-13-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ant73

12 years and relapsed

Hi Everyone
I'm Tony 44 years old . At 30 years old I started binge drinking for 2 years after a relationship breakup .They were about 2 weeks at a time were these binges. I would then be that ill that I would stay off it for months then start again , it went on like this for 2 years and my life became a complete mess .This was causing me to have severe panic attacks and slowly agoraphobia crept in. The last straw that made me pack it in for good was I was taken into hospital with alchohol seizures.That was enough to make stop and stayed off drink for 12 years .Anyone who's had them know how nasty they are and of course dangerous.

June last year I had a set back but I never picked a drink up. I had my car stolen, I was burgled and to top that off , I was wrongly arrested of stealing and crashing my own car .I was fast asleep in bed when the police came in and took me to the station. 5 weeks later they found evidence on the airbag (DNA) and all charges dropped on myself. After all this , I still never touched a drink.

The problem was with all the worry of the outcome, I could feel agoraphobia kicking in again and spent from around July till this day being a housebound agoraphobic.

In February this year it started to get too much for me , I went to do some online shopping and found myself ordering a 12 pack of lager. It all started again and I was on another binge session for 2 weeks until violently ill and stopped yet again. 4 days into being sober , I started getting nasty withdrawal symptoms so once again I picked that drink up which was left over in my cupboard. I then drank for 3 days until I decided enough was enough , I don't have any severe withdrawal symptoms over the 3 day binge as I didnt drink that much, just enough daily to take the edge off .

The daft thing is , I don't even like the taste of alchohol, and the 1st can always wants to make me throw up but I carry on. I just did it for the effects and to numb me up and block everything out . I'm kicking myself now after doing so well for 12 years.

Ive been sober now 3 days and intend to keep it that way, I'm just going to have to fight through the next few days , although as mentioned, apart from a headache, I dont have any bad withdrawal symptoms

I will keep you updated on my progress 😀
Thanks
Tony
Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Thank you Tony. It's good to be reminded to keep vigilant and continue to develop coping skills. Life gets so much better when sober but it's still those times when everything falls apart that are the kicker. A reminder to plan for those too.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tony and welcome to SR

Do you have any face to face support in place? For me, having an addictions counselor, and a counselor, and having support groups in place and sober contacts were really crucial to my sobriety. There are a variety of different ways to maintain sobriety, it helps to build a recovery plan and try out different things to see what works best for you.

You've done it before so you can definitely do it again.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tony welcome to SR. You have so much more sober time than me that I don't think I'm in a position to give advice other than this: just because you don't have severe withdrawal symptoms or seizures, it doesn't mean you are not in a precarious situation. Maybe not in danger health-wise, but in danger of becoming a slave to alcoholism once again. I hope that is not the case.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Tony!

I wonder if you have considered therapy for your agoraphobia/anxiety? It might be helpful.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ant73

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Hi Tony and welcome to SR

Do you have any face to face support in place? For me, having an addictions counselor, and a counselor, and having support groups in place and sober contacts were really crucial to my sobriety. There are a variety of different ways to maintain sobriety, it helps to build a recovery plan and try out different things to see what works best for you.

You've done it before so you can definitely do it again.
Thank-you for your replies. Yes , we have an organisation called Horizon where I am which my Doctor has referered me to.They deal with alchohol and drug addiction and you can get face to face counselling .I also have CBT starting in 2 weeks to help with agoraphobia so will of course mention it to her .I was drinking to help with agoraphobia but it's the drink that's causing it .I also have a neighbour who for the 1st time has seen me in drink , he's been sober 22 years and attends AA meetings weekly and when he saw me in that state I was in, asked me If I'd like to go along with him to a few meetings.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Tony!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I battle with pretty bad agoraphobia/anxiety myself and feel your pain. Getting into therapy and possibly medications can be a great help, otherwise as you've found out, playing with alcohol leads to nothing but disaster.
Perhaps if you're up to it, you should take your neighbor's offer to go to AA with him.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ant73

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I battle with pretty bad agoraphobia/anxiety myself and feel your pain. Getting into therapy and possibly medications can be a great help, otherwise as you've found out, playing with alcohol leads to nothing but disaster.
Perhaps if you're up to it, you should take your neighbor's offer to go to AA with him.
Thanks, yes you're quite right, you'll never find the answers with alchohol. Hoping to see my Doctor next week and I'm meant to be starting something called sertraline after martazapine wasn't really helping . They offer 12 sessions of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy so that hopefully help with agoraphobia /anxiety .Roll on 2 weeks when those sessions start.
I'll definitely be taking the neighbours offer up yes attending the AA , as well as support from the AA , It will help with exposure therapy with the agoraphobia. There are quite a few meetings local every night so don't really have to travel far
Old 03-13-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on taking action! You did it before, right?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Tony and good luck

I hope that the CBT does help with the agoraphobia as that must be hard to live with. I have a friend of a friend who is agoraphobic, it struck him when he was in his 40s and he rarely drank alcohol so maybe yours was not totally down to drinking.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tony!!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Tony
Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Tony to SR! Sorry to hear of your relapse but thank you for the insight you provided. It reinforces that we are vulnerable to relapse if we don't keep our sobriety a priority. Good luck Tony and keep coming back.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Tony! It's great to meet you.

I had 3 yrs. once & then went back out for 7 yrs. So I completely understand. After joining SR I found the courage to get my life back - and I have 9 yrs. sober. So I know you can do this.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Ant - you're sentence about feeling sick but poushing through was what I did everyday by the end...madness really.

Thankfully there is a sober life after all that

D
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ant73

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome Tony! It's great to meet you.

I had 3 yrs. once & then went back out for 7 yrs. So I completely understand. After joining SR I found the courage to get my life back - and I have 9 yrs. sober. So I know you can do this.
Many thanks for the welcome. As you know life is so much better without it .I'm determined again .As they say , 1 day at a time . It's only day 4 for me but I have no desire or cravings for drink so that's good .Infact , I only crave alcohol once I pop that 1st drink down or when I'm going through the withdrawal symptoms. There's lots of help and support here yes and so pleased I joined
Old 03-14-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ant73

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcoem Ant - you're sentence about feeling sick but poushing through was what I did everyday by the end...madness really.

Thankfully there is a sober life after all that

D
Thank-you Dee 😁
Old 03-14-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I am coming back after being sober for over 21 years. This hasn't been easy.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, Tony.

A friend of mine has nearly died - a few times by his own attempts - in the past year. His binges and 'detoxing' cycles got so bad they all became one. He's wound up homeless and in a psych ward....

I'm glad you're here and staying sober. Because that's no fate for anyone and it's where all this leads.