Notices

Sobriety on Caribbean Vacation

Old 03-13-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living the life

Sobriety on Caribbean Vacation

I will be going on a Caribbean vacation in the near future and I'm hoping to pick other's brains for tips in remaining sober. We all know how all inclusive resorts are often looked at as a week of power drinking.

I am bringing reading material, puzzle books and a cribbage board for poolside/beach activities. These are things that are much easier to do sober so that will help I'm sure.

I've also done a fair bit of playing the tape forward and have embraced the knowledge that staggering around with Bambi legs while being loud and obnoxious is never a good look, especially for a woman of my age lol

I guess my biggest fear is I've never done a sober tropical vacation before so what the heck do you drink? At home I am always able to get soda with lime in pretty much any restaurant. Will that be an option at a Mexican resort? Will I be able to get virgin versions of pretty tropical umbrella drinks? I plan on packing a good assortment of herbal teas but I need cold drink options.

Anyone have any other tips or strategies that have been helpful in this situation?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Sounds like a great trip! Hope you enjoy the crap out of it!
Keep a bottle of water with you o stay hydrated , it will be warm and sunny
A nice sweet cold beverage would be a nice treat sometime during the day, I'm pretty sure all manner of beverage will be available at the resort.
It's kind of funny( for me) that going out, or holidays or dinner parties , how many times the host will offer you a beverage during the course of an hour or so, when all I'm interested in is a soft drink, it's like no thanks 'a ' cola is fine, pretty much for a whole evening lol.
Have fun with the activities, love cribbage btw , and don't worry about what to drink , so much, that's just the AV trying to point out the obvious, when it's not about boozing, we humans tend to drink when we are thirsty ( and it's not as much as you would think )
Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LexiStrength

Try frozen lemonade or I love seltzer with lime and I put a sweet N low in it. Good luck you'll be fine and you're going to have a wonderful time. Enjoy yourself! Especially if you live in or around the tri-state area with all the snow that's coming, the warm sunshine will be heavenly.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Helen, I hope you have a great vacation.

It helps me to do some activities on vacation to avoid sitting around the pool all the time. Can you plan some day trips, some sight-seeing, that kind of thing?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living the life

dwtbd yes good thinking on good ol' plain water. I am going to bring an insulated travel mug so that should work well for keeping cool water on hand.

Lexi yes lemonade would likely be an option, wouldn't it? And yes we are getting a bit of a winter storm here as well; I am looking forward to getting away!

Anna I am traveling with my niece who is generally up for anything. I'm sure she will want to do some sightseeing, walking and shopping. We are going to Cancun so there should be lots of options. Also she is a bit of a health nut who is into meditating and exercising so maybe I will come home with a few new habits Also I think travelling with her will help to keep me sober as I don't want to put her in a situation where she has to be embarrassed to say "yup, that's my aunt".

I was worried that the popular drinks are all premixed with booze but now that I think about it I think they add booze to your glass and then add the mix (things like frozen daiquiris or margaritas) so I think I should be able to get virgin versions of those. I'm probably overthinking it. To be honest it's a bit of a relief to be going away knowing I don't *have* to drink; as a drinker it always felt like a bit of an obligation to drink even though I knew there were good odds it wouldn't end well.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went on a trip to Costa Rica for a week last month and had zero issues with even being tempted to drink. I had some worries before I left, myself, but it was such a non-issue! Either way, here's what I did:

I emailed the resorts in advance to a.) see if we could get any perks for the special occasions we were celebrating (two birthdays, our anniversary and valentines day!) and b.) to let them know that I am sober and to PLEASE not give us any champagne or anything like that to celebrate with.

When we got to the hotel on the first night, even though I had mentioned my sobriety in the email, our hotel room was FILLED with booze, so I immediately asked for it to be removed. This was the only time this happened (we stayed at a few hotels).

I, too, stuck with lime and seltzer but also enjoyed a few virgin pina coladas/daiquiri's by the pool, which were just as enjoyable - actually even more so, since I could actually take in the beautiful surroundings!

When we went out to eat at a couple nice restaurants to celebrate the aforementioned special occasions, I just did the same as I do back here in Boston, and asked if the bartender could maker any fun, non-alcoholic drinks to go with dinner - stressing the use of absolutely NO alcohol whatsoever. This can be a hit or miss request, but always worth a shot! I got a couple fun mixed drinks out of it on my trip.

Two properties offered us complimentary cocktails on our arrival, and I asked for something non-alcoholic, instead. They were happy to oblige.

So, the name of the game really is - just ask! It is YOUR vacation, and it is the hotel/restaurant staff's goal to make you as comfortable as possible. Many, many people go on vacation and do not drink for whatever reason, so they are used to these requests and are more than happy to help.

I'll note, too, that you'll find a meeting just about anywhere you'd want to go on vacation, so if that's your thing and you don't see that information in your hotel guidebook (at least one I encountered blatantly offered this in it's literature about the area), then, for the umpteenth time, just ask!

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living the life

Thanks Alphabet! That's some great tips there.

When I've been on vacation drinking I guess I assume everyone is; it's almost like a competition. I've been noticing non-drinkers more and more when I am in social situations now that I'm sober and I'm sure there will be plenty of non-drinkers at the resort now that I'm not looking out through beer-goggles. And yes I am really looking forward to being aware of the beautiful surroundings
Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great trip. I think others have offered some pretty good advice already. For me personally, I'd just make sure I was full of food...always. If I get really hungry I am at my weakest. Immediate gratification type of thing. If your sobriety is a top priority, you'll be fine.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure if you have travel companions but make sure they know about your comittment to stay sober on your trip. That way they'll help you navigate any tough situations! Don't be afraid to just leave a situation if needed! You can do this!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm off to Cuba in 2 weeks for my first sober vacation and I'm totally stoked! Imagine how much more time and energy we will have to do all kinds of other cool things now that we don't have to spend our whole time obsessing about getting drunk or nursing hangovers? The last vacation I went on was nothing but a drunken escapade that I vaguely remember..... I think it will be wonderful to be totally present and actually experience my trip with a clear head. Have fun!!!!! Real authentic FUN.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like your niece may be able to get you hooked on some new activities! Most resorts will offer classes like yoga, and lots of water activities, as well as excursions into town. Plan on some good books for downtime as well.

I was recently in Vegas and stuck with sparkling water with lime, and my daily caffeine intake of Diet Dr. Pepper.

Enjoy your trip with your niece!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've found that people who are more physically active, tend to not drink, or drink very much. Maybe look into some activities..... snorkeling and like Delilah mentioned yoga, maybe water aerobics?

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My last 3 all inclusive mexico vacations were nothing but booze! I only remember fragments of all trips..Never leaving the resort to do extra activities..drinking all day every day,nap,drink..Bartenders knowing me by name(I'd tip big on the first day, because who wants to wait in line?).. Looking back, I'm pissed I didn't do/see more! Ironically.. I was just pulling up travel sites for a trip I'm planning in August and SR came up in my browser so, I came here instead.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living the life

Great ideas everyone! Delilah I hadn't even thought about the resort having organized activities. Just goes to show how like DontRemember my resort experience has all been about drinking Has anyone else noticed how unflattering vacation pics are when they are drinking? I always seem to have that goofy droopy eyed look and I'm always holding a boozy drink. That's ok, that's about to change Maybe I'll pack something appropriate to wear for yoga. I've already got my Kobo loaded up with a good variety of books. Pondlady those all sound great! Water aerobics! Now I am REALLY getting excited! lol

Thomas that's true about a full belly. I would often skip food just so as not to kill the buzz. I will definitely be checking out the poolside taco bars. Kittycat I am sure my niece and I will have some discussions about my sobriety. She has lost two uncles to alcoholism and has serious concerns about her mother's drinking, and is very conscientious of her own alcohol use. She will be totally supportive. Zenchaser I'm totally stoked too! Have a blast in Cuba - I love it there.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel much more confident - and excited - about this trip now.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Helenofcancun, enjoy
Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Sounds like fun Helen!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can do it Helen, no problem. I went to Cabo San Lucas Mexico for my h'moon last August and wasn't tempted in the least, even though it's the most booze soaked city on the planet. I literally felt I was at SR ground zero! Anyway, all it takes is a little firm resolve and you're set. Just because other people are destroying themselves with booze doesn't mean you have to!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been to a few sunny destinations sober. what makes me happy to not drink is waking up feeling good, doing activities and sight seeing instead of waking up dying and staying inside with a hang over all day. I like pop occasionally and lots of water !
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your herbal teas taste excellent when you throw ice in them also. Have a great vacation!!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Your herbal teas taste excellent when you throw ice in them also. Have a great vacation!!
Oooooooh! I will have to try that! Especially peppermint...