Notices

Patience is not one of my virtues

Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have a love hate relationship with the saying, "God promises to change me so slowly that I won't realize it is happening."

I am a typical alcoholic. I want what I want and I want it now. On a rational level I know that change takes time and effort but the tantrum throwing baby in me isn't willing to work or wait.

This whole recovery thing is a journey not a destination and I have to be satisfied with progress not perfection. Unfortunately that is easier said than done.

One thing for sure. If I don't drink today I have a chance at a better life.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

me too!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good point, MIR, thank you for posting it. I also sometimes have problems with patience and can be a bit ruthless pursuing what I want. I don't see that necessarily wrong though, often it's a good pragmatic strategy, I think, if not excessive. I personally would not want this elements "removed" from me because it tends to serve goal directed action well if not excessive and harmful.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, and in addition, I know the way things ought to be. If only people would do what I think they should.

I'm serious, I really believe these things. Some people call that 'alcoholic' thinking.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Yep, and in addition, I know the way things ought to be. If only people would do what I think they should.

I'm serious, I really believe these things. Some people call that 'alcoholic' thinking.
One of the truest things in recovery is an old joke.

What do you get when a horse thief sobers up?

A sober horse thief
Old 03-12-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post

Wow, I think I posted the very same thing yesterday. I called myself arrogant, but I like yours better.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I have a love hate relationship with the saying, "God promises to change me so slowly that I won't realize it is happening."

I am a typical alcoholic. I want what I want and I want it now. On a rational level I know that change takes time and effort but the tantrum throwing baby in me isn't willing to work or wait.

This whole recovery thing is a journey not a destination and I have to be satisfied with progress not perfection. Unfortunately that is easier said than done.

One thing for sure. If I don't drink today I have a chance at a better life.
pretty much me in a nutshell.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
Wow, I think I posted the very same thing yesterday. I called myself arrogant, but I like yours better.
There's a passage about this is the AA Big Book, pgs. 60-63.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think alcoholics have an exclusive on impatience or arrogance. It's just that we got used to using alcohol as an instant fix to cope with these undesirable -- if very human -- traits. For a while it worked, and then it stopped working, and then it actually made things worse.

Now we have to find a way to deal with impatience and arrogance straight up, and it's not always easy!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Getting to the place where we became alcoholic was a gradual process that took place, for some of us, over the first 20 years of our live. Then we stayed there for ten years, twenty years, thirty years.. And now we expect to put the drink down one day and be over it. Recovery is going to be life long. If it did happen in a few weeks, months or years, then we'd probably decide we were recovered, we were done, and then it would be down hill from there..
Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not just a 'chance' of a better life, but it's guaranteed. Not talking about riches, fast cars and such, but just to live free of the endless misery of what alcohol does to us. No more police, no withdrawal, no more shame/guilt etc etc etc.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Recovery is going to be life long. If it did happen in a few weeks, months or years, then we'd probably decide we were recovered, we were done, and then it would be down hill from there..
With all due respect: once the drinking of alcohol is stopped, forever: we are recovered. Then, we work on the wreckage that alcohol addiction caused in our lives - THAT part, the wreckage, is recovery; recovering our life back. Hopefully, that life recovery won't be life long.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I heard a man say some time ago
patience isn't about what im doing, but what im thinking.
I thoroughly believe that.
however
I have a 3 year old great nephew I watch a couple days a week and if I didn't know any better, he wakes up some mornings with the thought,"im gonna see if I can make uncle tom get one step away from crazy."
he gets an A+ some days.
but I know its not him that does it- its me allowing it.
I still have work on patience.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am not at heart a patient man - but I've learned to be patient - I've learned a lot in my waiting for things

D
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic MIR!!