Notices

On day 4 of of this challenge

Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
APT

On day 4 of of this challenge

Four days ago I decided to make a change in my life. I don't know why 4 days ago, but I just woke up wanting a better life. I was smoking a pack a day and at least one bottle of scotch. Some days I would switch to wine but would finish 2 or 3 of those. I have three kids that have put up with my behavior. Mostly I drank when they went to bed, but since they are getting older they have seen me drink too much. I have attempted to stop one or the other at various times, but this time seems different. I know a lot of people may say that but I am hoping its true for me.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

APT , this is the best decision you have made to put the bottle down . I know what you mean when you say " this time seems different " .
You will love yourself much more for this and so will the kids .
You will find so much support in these forums .

Well done
Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 03-10-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
APT

Thomas59,

Thanks for the support. Unlike the last few times, I told my kids what I'm doing. This makes the accountability a little more real. I know it's only day 4 but there have been a lot of positives. The major one is that I don't smell any more and my son laid on my shoulder. It was the first time in a long time I didn't have to think about it.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, APT! Telling your kids can really kid. One of the things that finally kept me on the straight and narrow was telling some of my family as well. They would be on the look out if I were to start relapsing and call me on it.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

'grats on 4 days

heres a chip for ya

Old 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, APT. Glad you're here.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
APT

I honestly don't know how this happened. When I was in High school I was a social drinker and smoker. Nothing too bad or in my eyes even looking back as an adult. In college, I played tennis for the university, again a very social drinker. I don't even remember smoking at that point. Once I graduated I did the normal track of getting a job reconnected with friends locally. This was the start. We made a softball team and would drink and smoke during and after the games. I have never stopped.

When I hit 30 I discovered scotch. I love scotch. Or was it just the feeling of drinking. Beer or wine just did nothing for me. I would open a bottle and would only stop when it was empty. I would only buy one bottle every day. You may ask how I functioned the next day. I have no good answer except to say I just built up a good tolerance. I never really get drunk anymore but still drank. I do have a rule which I do keep most of the time: never drink when you are out. I have been pretty good about maintaining that rule. But guess what that means: I just stopped going out. It's pathetic!

Doing research on what will happen to me with when I stop drinking I found these two tables. Looks like it will be a fun time for the family. I just hope that I can avoid most of these.

Smoking is a different animal altogether. I just went to Walgreens and got step one of the patch. So far today I have had a few cravings but otherwise, I just need to figure out a better time to put this on. I smell and I am in need of a shower badly. I also downloaded a couple free apps to track my savings. So far I have saved $4.66 and regained 3 hrs of my life from not smoking and $16.37 from drinking.

Height 6.1
Weight 275....I like to think I carried this well but geez I saw myself in a picture.
Resting heart rate 73
Blood pressure normal only because of meds.
Slept 8.1 hrs

Diagnostic Criteria for Alcohol Withdrawal

A. Cessation of (or reduction in) alcohol use that has been heavy and prolonged.
B. Two (or more) of the following, developing within several hours to a few days after criterion A:

1. Autonomic hyperactivity (e.g., sweating or pulse rate greater than 100 beats per minute)

2. Increased hand tremor

3. Insomnia

4. Nausea or vomiting

5. Transient visual, tactile, or auditory hallucination s or illusions

6. Psychomotor agitation

7. Anxiety

8. Grand mal seizures
Symptoms of Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome

Symptoms
Time of appearance after cessation of alcohol use
Minor withdrawal symptoms: insomnia, tremulousness, mildanxiety, gastrointestinal upset, headache, diaphoresis, palpitations, anorexia
6 to 12 hours
Alcoholic hallucinosis: visual, auditory, or tactile hallucinations
12 to 24 hours*
Withdrawal seizures: generalized tonic-clonic seizures
24 to 48 hours†
Alcohol withdrawal delirium (delirium tremens): hallucinations (predominately visual), disorientation, tachycardia, hypertension, low-grade fever, agitation, diaphoresis
48 to 72 hours‡
Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's an insidious slide, for sure - I didn't know I was in rough water until it was way too late.

I'm glad you've joined us APT

D

D