Notices

March Madness

Old 03-09-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

March Madness

I just left the grocery store and there was a guy leaving as I was that had 2 twelve packs of Michelob Ultra. I was carrying 2 twelve packs myself - of seltzer water. He was probably headed home to watch college basketball (thus the title of my thread). The old me would have been jealous and would've thought "He can drink, why can't I?" This would have triggered an excuse for another trip to hell and back.

Today I just thought "That's not me. I can't drink." With it came the awareness that if I were to go back down that road, most if not all of those 24 Michelob Ultras would be gone by the time I passed out tonight. Then another trip to the store would be necessary in the morning to ward off the withdrawals and the deadly cycle would be in full force again.

All this after I had a run-in with a lady (who I vaguely know) at the noon AA meeting who very condescendingly said to me after the meeting "Im so glad youre doing better." As if Im some broken invalid who needs her pity. Piece of advice to oldtimers, don't treat a newcomer with judgement and pity (fortunately no one here does). Besides, if youre in an AA meeting, you've probably been there.

Anyway, just random thoughts as the college basketball season heats up. One of my favorite things to do in the past during this time of year was gorging on March Madness and beer. Not this year. At least not the beer.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Desperate For Sobriety

Funny you should post this... I work in a sportswear store and we have the B1G basketball tournament games on the tv's right now. It made me think how how the old me would've grabbed a twelver on the way home and finished it off while watching the evening games tonight. I love March Madness and this year it may be somewhat difficult to watch while sipping a diet cola instead of a Miller Lite! Go Badgers!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're doing better Blue Dog. Tee hee, just a joke.

I am a huge sports fan and, while it took awhile to get used to watching without drinking, I really enjoy watching without getting plastered. I'm getting excited to fill out some brackets on Sunday!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah, my favorite time of year

This will be my second sober March Madness - Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

March madness is great.

If you stay sober, you will remember who won the game the following morning.

I used to watch a lot of movies when I was drinking. After I got sober, I needed to re-rent a bunch of them to see how they ended.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Piece of advice to oldtimers, don't treat a newcomer with judgement and pity (fortunately no one here does).
im an oldtimer and have been guilty of judging others too ...

its called a defect of character/ shortcoming

and im full of 'em

great job on not drinking today!

Old 03-11-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go Gonzaga men's and women's!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
March madness is great.

If you stay sober, you will remember who won the game the following morning.

I used to watch a lot of movies when I was drinking. After I got sober, I needed to re-rent a bunch of them to see how they ended.
I was the exact same, always re watching shows the next day since I totally forgot what I watched the night before. Glad that's over and I actually remember now !!