This Is Us

Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This Is Us

I can't say enough good things about this TV show! It is fascinating to watch the family dynamics. It addresses addiction and you see it play out in every family members life. Is anyone else watching this?

I found this article and thought it did a good job of summarizing why I love it so much.

http://wapo.st/2fRHAAS?tid=ss_sms-amp

P.S. I'm not sure how to post links. Can someone help me out?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! I watch it every week (only currently airing show I keep up with weekly). It is so great.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOVE this show! They are doing an amazing job of interweaving the past & present to tell this story. We never miss it!

(PS - your link worked fine for me)
Old 03-09-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like it too.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't yet but I am really excited to!
I've heard so many good things about it.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also enjoy it.

I am grateful that everyone is realistically portrayed. They are showing the good wonderful people that can exist in conjunction with the real life challenges that all kinds of malevolent coping behaviors can introduce, and the ripple effect.

I also would have benefit earlier in my recovery from seeing the negative impacts even when someone is "high" functioning. It has normalized some of that experience for me.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jaeger - that is a good article. I just adore the show too. Next week is the season finale I think - and I'll really miss it.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best show on television. I always take something away from each episode.

The writers are fantastic!

Love, love, love this show.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I absolutely love this show. I rarely watch TV and don't even have cable, but this is one show I binge-watch on Hulu! LOVE IT!!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love it- I just hope they don't kill off Jack before they show a prolonged and progressive alcoholism course and its effects on the family- the ambivalence a wife feels, the promises to quit, the relapses , etc. etc
Old 03-10-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Jaeger - that is a good article. I just adore the show too. Next week is the season finale I think - and I'll really miss it.
I will miss it too! I have all of the episodes on my DVR so I may rewatch themto see what I've missed. It's the only show I have followed in years.

qtpi - I read an article that said we wouldn't know in Season 1 what happened to Jack but the end of this weeks episode sure made you think it was soon. I'm not sure I'm ready for it!

And can we all say - Go Randall!!!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I watch VERY little TV, but based on everything here, I finally watched it last night. I mini-binged the first two episodes and loved it.

I talked to my friend at work about it but she thought it sounded too "emotionally intense" for her taste (and yeah, she does the same thing I do for a living--I'm not sure how someone that sensitive can handle what we do).

Please, for those of us catching up, no spoilers! I've picked up a few of the plot developments, but let's not spill EVERYTHING.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It's soooooo good!!!!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

No spoilers for Lexie - but it did seem like Kate was on the verge of going into detail about what happened to Jack. Apparently not though. There are so many theories out there.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I promise - no spoilers. Lexi, I can't wait to hear your review. It is very intense but they do a great job of keeping a good balance. Every single episode is an emotional roller coaster.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by qtpi View Post
I love it- I just hope they don't kill off Jack before they show a prolonged and progressive alcoholism course and its effects on the family- the ambivalence a wife feels, the promises to quit, the relapses , etc. etc
*Spoiler Alert*
I know!!! I was staring to get really anxious that they were going to just let it slide after the second episode or whatever when he quits. I was getting really disappointed and mad at the show thinking that was all they were going to say about it. I'm like, "If they leave it like that - like it's that easy - I'm gonna be so mad!"

So is it messed up that I'm glad about what happened in the last episode? Lol But they way they are making it seem, they still might give Jack an easy out and not really let us know what happens with this disease. I would LOVE nothing more than for a prime time hit show to portray what it is ACTUALLY to love an alcoholic and what it's like to grow up in an alcoholic home. The grief and despair of someone so amazing being taken from you by the disease. They spent so much time building Jack up to be this perfect father and husband...just the same way all of us used to view our partners/parents. So I really hope they take this opportunity and take the time to shed light on the disease, it's effects and how it affects those around the alcoholic.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

one hundred percent how I feel about it seeker! I thought- come on people- don't give us a fairy tale- oh i will quit drinking just because I decided to- and the entire family will live happily ever after!! I was trying to write the writers/producers and say- don't you dare!!! i have an idea- why don't we have one thread for this is us- no spoilers- and this is us- all caught up- would love to discuss it further- but don't want to be a spoiler!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by qtpi View Post
one hundred percent how I feel about it seeker! I thought- come on people- don't give us a fairy tale- oh i will quit drinking just because I decided to- and the entire family will live happily ever after!! I was trying to write the writers/producers and say- don't you dare!!! i have an idea- why don't we have one thread for this is us- no spoilers- and this is us- all caught up- would love to discuss it further- but don't want to be a spoiler!
Great idea!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Every single episode is an emotional roller coaster.
No kidding!! I have cried during every. single. one. EVERY ONE!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just started it - 2 episodes in and I love it!