Notices

Counseling.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counseling.

I start today with an addiction counselor. I'm really nervous about it.... I saw someone years ago but I never let it go as deep as I needed to.... kept a lot of things to myself and down played my drinking and then eventually I just stopped going, didn't show up for an appt and never called her back. Fast forward almost 10 years and I have finally accepted, truly accepted that I am indeed an alcoholic and that I need to quit for good. I also need to heal myself of some of the trauma of my past, forgive myself for my actions as a sick person addicted to substances, and learn how to mend my relationships with the people who mean the most to me. I want to get better and it's going to take more than just not drinking. Not going to lie, I am feeling uneasy and anxious and down right scared, but I'm going to do it anyways because it's time for me to woman up and face this ****. Don't really know what the point of this thread is.... guess I don't really have anyone to tell this to.... I don't go to meetings and I don't know many people who have gotten sober so you people are it lol

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

anything we add to our sobriety toolkit is a good thing.

congratulations.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, zenchaser! I've done a lot of therapy in sobriety and it helped in some really unexpected ways. So my suggestion would be to keep an open mind. Also, it's not necessary to reveal everything in the beginning, just start somewhere and let it unfold
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Zenchaser well done helping yourself x Let me know how te counsellor goes, have been considering this path for a while.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 03-09-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Good luck, zenchaser! I've done a lot of therapy in sobriety and it helped in some really unexpected ways. So my suggestion would be to keep an open mind. Also, it's not necessary to reveal everything in the beginning, just start somewhere and let it unfold

Thanks, that's good advice.... my mind is really racing with all the issues I feel like I need to address and the time line of events in my life and all my various relationships. It's overwhelming.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on demonstrating willingness to take action to move forward with your recovery

action gets/ keeps us sober not thinking

Old 03-09-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So it went well. She runs her practice from her home so it was relaxed and welcoming. It felt good to be able to just be honest and stop hiding and just lay it all out. She recommended that I do out patient work through CAMH (center for addiction and mental health) due to the amount I drink and the length of time that it's been going on. That would mean going to my doctor and admitting my problem to get a referral...... there will also be a waiting period of around 6 months. I am leaning towards just going for it! She said the real shame would be not getting myself all the help I can get instead of being ashamed of telling my doctor and she's right. It's supposed to be a really great program. She also thinks I should get out and sign up for some yoga classes to help with the loneliness and the anxiety.... another solid suggestion that I will do. And lastly, she thinks refuge recovery would be a good fit for me. I'm glad I've started this process and that I did the scary hard thing of reaching out for help haha.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also told her about RR and AVRT. She'd never heard of it but she thought it was great! I will use these other tools in tandem with my BP.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 03-09-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

way to go, zenchaser
Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
II need to quit for good. I also need to heal myself of some of the trauma of my past, forgive myself for my actions as a sick person addicted to substances, and learn how to mend my relationships with the people who mean the most to me. I want to get better and it's going to take more than just not drinking.
You have a very good basis for beginning counselling again with these words. Keep focused on knowing that you can do the hard stuff, you can get through the pain and come out stronger.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really hope you find IT helps Zenchaser

D
Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's awesome zenchaser! I've been going to see an addiction counselor since November and it has helped me so much.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had a great addiction counsellor whom I will never forget. She gave me a bunch of options. The first that I tried, was controlled drinking. Two days later I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital, one of the other options. Managed a bit of time on my own power, then away we go again. A year later, a total wreck, I went to the last option she mentioned, or maybe it was the least interesting option. In any case, I haven't needed to drink since.