Notices

Escaping reality Weekender 10 - 12th March

Old 03-09-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Escaping reality Weekender 10 - 12th March

There are no two ways about it, modern life is scary. Gone are the old certainties of a job for life, a structured career path, a mortgage, 2.4 kids and clearly defined gender roles. In today's world we regularly have to deal insecurities and disappoinment about many aspects of our lives.

Understandably we wish to escape these fears which knaw away at our sense of well-being. In many countries, including my own, recent political developments speak of a desire or yearning to go back to some real or imagined age of certainty.

Most of us reading this post will have had a much faster and much more primitive way of escaping our worries via the path of blissful intoxication. We drank or drugged ourselves into that fleeting Nirvana so often that we became overseers of our own slavery.

Let us also do something modern and apply what economists call a cost benefit analysis of or escape reality method. As an alcoholic I drank fast, no sipping slowly between a meal, no uplifting conversation or maintaining a mild buzz. For me it was 90 minutes from the first mouthful followed by say 300 minutes of blackout, often fully clothed and a tomorrow of pain and despair, made worse by the fact that by about 6pm I would be thinking about doing it again. In tge end no amount of self deception coukd make this seem like a good deal.

Life is difficult but realistically I doubt there has ever been a significantly better age than now. There is nothing wrong with being a housewife but would you be happy if this was what was expected of you. Were those secure jobs in dirty and dangerous factories or mines worth it?

I do appreciate that some of you will have started drinking or drugging as a response to abuse or trauma. Of course I cannot put myself in your shoes but i reckon leading a drink and drug free life would be the best rebuke to those responsible.

Given the interconnectivity of information and knowledge there are probably as many opportunities as there ever has been but in order to seize them we need to be aware and informed not incoherent so ditch the shackles of addiction and whenever your personal weekend is give yourself a chance to follow your interests, it may even end up improving your personal circumstances.

Sorry for the epic length of this weeks OP, I could not seem to condense it without leaving things out.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 03-09-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Shotgun!!!!

Great OP Sao. In SMART recovery we do a "cost benefit analysis" as one of the tools. Always revealing to see.

I move this weekend into my new place. I cannot wait. I am fighting depression for certain but I will let it ride and cut myself slack.

K
Old 03-09-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay, Ken!

All those years you were ineligible for shotgun because you were the driver!

Now you're able to look at the scenery--but you're still right up front!

I'm in!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great introduction, Sao. Thank you.

I do think that this is the best age so far. Medically speaking, I might well have been dead years ago if not for today's advanced cancer technology.

So, too, am I benefitting from the emotional advancement I've realized since becoming sober. I'm achieving things I could never in a million years have done while I had a self-pitying drunken mindset.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A very wise OP Mr Sao - thank you for that.

Greeting's everybody, I hope you are all keeping well.

My best wishes,

B
Old 03-09-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with and enjoyed that post.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, Behan! Great to see you again!

Welcome, Slangking! Stick around and we'll get you through the weekend!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the thoughtful post, Sao!

I am in for the weekend!

Another quiet weekend for me, recharging from a very busy work week.
I am going to try and not get too resentful that it is daylight savings time this weekend. I really, really, really, really dislike daylight savings time.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great OP, Sao! After some coffee I'll possibly be ready to make some coherent comments.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

The time change use to be somewhat stressful for me, we had a number of systems at work that needed their clocks changed. Thankfully that is no longer the case, they all take care of themselves now. But yea, it still sucks to loose an hours sleep.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders slangking! Stick around

Ken and Behan, it is great to see you here. Ken I hope that you succeed in fighting off that depression, you are among friends here.

I don't like Daylight Savings on principle, it is not necessary in 2017. I do enjoy the lighter evenings though.

I hope the OP marathon doesn't put anyone off. Some things cannot be boiled down into a few pithy words (at least not by me)
Old 03-09-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am in!

I have been struggling lately with the constant meanness (it is a word now ) coming from my ex and his wife. It's been like 5 years now, and it just doesn't stop. I try to ignore it and send sunshine and rainbow back, but it is rough. I wish I could be a person who doesn't let it affect me so much.

Taking the kids to see Stomp this weekend - looking forward to that.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The OP was awesome, Sao - stop worrying about it.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm IN!

There is no escaping reality for me this weekend, though. I am surrounded by mounds of tax files. I feel like Morgan in Season 3 of Walking Dead.

"I MUST CLEAR!"
Old 03-09-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sao - just to repeat what everyone else seems to agree upon, your OP was great!

I'm looking forward to the weekend - the weather has improved today and it really makes a huge difference to how I feel. Tomorrow is recycling day here, and this morning I was getting the bins ready to go out. It was such a nice feeling not to have to hide the wine bottles at the bottom of the bin - there were no bottles! :-)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Sao! Very good intro.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. It is going to be 73 F today here.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Julia8- Keep sending sunshine and rainbows back to them and take good care of yourself. That will really get them. haha
Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in.

Thanks Sao. Op hit a nerve for me.

So nice to see you all💖