Notices

new here - trying to make a change

Old 03-08-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here - trying to make a change

Hi, I've been a heavy drinker for a long time and also am struggling with diagnoses of anxiety and depression at the moment.
Each day at the moment I promise myself I won't drink, but have not had an alcohol free day for a while. My therapist and doctor agree that I need to make changes to my drinking if I want to start recovering from the other issues.

I thought I would try coming on here and reading what others had to say, in the hope that it will help me find a better way forward.

Thanks to everyone who reads this for listening!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi LisaJane, welcome to SR.

For me I found the drinking and anxiety went hand in hand.

When I decided to stop because I wanted to (I'd tried hundreds of times to cut down, but that never worked) I started the recovery part.

If you want to stop there is some great help and experiences on this site.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

It simply comes down to stepping off the endless loop and trying something different. It's a well trodden path embarked on with trepidation and leading to a place where anxiety is less. There is no magic pill. No one has a magic wand that will transport you past the anxiety. Just know that those of us who have stepped into the unknown have found it good. Stay here and learn some coping skills.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey LJ, you can do this ! Anxiety and drinking go hand in hand and get progressively worse. You need to stop drinking to begin that journey . We've been there and moderation is a myth. Remember , this is a THINKING disorder most of all . Set your mind to it, get a plan ( AA, therapy ) and win victories one day at a time. The sober life is worth fighting for . Most of all stay close to SR . Anytime of the day or night you can check in here to uplift you and grab some significant nuggets of wisdom.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, LisaJane! It's good to have you with us.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR LisaJane! You can do this!
Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In a crazy way its the drinking that brought us all together. I have been on SR for a short time but have learned a lot. Been dry for a couple months and I want you to know it is possible to beat this. I went down to na beer for longest time and it helped wean me off the budlight. Now I don't miss beer but the taste I do still. Welcome to this neat little place. Grab a chair or sit on the couch and know that even if your struggle seams hard..you came here for help and that's a big step. Success is going from one failure to the next without ever giving up. You can do it.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Lisa Jane - you'll find a lot of support here

SR - the community here - really helped me turn my life and my addiction around - I know we can help you too.

D
Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-09-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Welcome Lisa, it's great you have come here. This is a very supportive and caring community.

I came here 91 days ago. Before that I drank daily and could not say how long it had been since I went a day without. I drank for atleast 7 years. For nearly a year I woke hungover everyday swearing I would not drink...but I could never stick to it. I just couldn't understand what was wrong with me. By reading and posting here and attending AA I have learnt so much and this has enabled me to not drink.

I also am a sufferer of depression and anxiety but I have to agree with others, my drinking was causing both to get much worse. I do still take medication and have days where both trouble me but I am learning other skills now to cope.

It may feel difficult to believe at the moment but you can do the same, you really can.

Keep posting and reading here, we are here for you.

Scruff
Old 03-09-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Lisa Jane, I'm a newbie too, drinking every day for months but since joining here just this week I've had a few alcohol free days, the first in a longggg time. The 24hr thread gives me inspiration and to me a bit of accountability to myself, worth checking out
Old 03-09-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Yep - I am like you.

ALCOHOL + DEPRESSION + ANXIETY = ?

It does not add up to anything good. Stop drinking all together would be my thought.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LisaJane!

Welcome!

I was surprised to learn that alcohol was a depressant, and yet I began using it in order to self-medicate my depression. I had to get my depression properly treated in order to stop drinking. I'm glad you've talked to your therapist and doctor and are ready to stop drinking.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome LisaJane!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madbird View Post
Welcome LisaJane!
Welcome Lisa Jane
As the days go by without alcohol you will see how great you feel and your mind and body returning to normal. You will be at peace with yourself