Notices

Relapsed again and finding it hard to stop

Old 03-07-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed again and finding it hard to stop

I have been drinking again all day for 4 weeks. I started the year great was working and got a wee car on the road. My job was temp and I got laid of at the start of February. Then a couple things went wrong with my car and I also can't afford insurance. So my car is of the road. I now have no job and no car. a few days after I lost my job I started drinking. I keep trying to stop but the withdrawal is terrible, the worst I've had and that's saying something.

I went this morning to put on an emergency appointment with my doctor to see if I can get to help with withdrawal. I was to late to get one today and need to phone 8am tomorrow. I will but have got a few cans today to stop the shakes. I hope my doctor can give me something and I never want to put myself through this he'll again.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigP View Post

I hope my doctor can give me something and I never want to put myself through this he'll again.
Pulling for you BigP.
Hope that you get in with your doctor real soon.
Once you stay sober you will feel better.
M-Bob
Old 03-07-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do not drink. See the doc.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello BigP, you sound like you are from the uk, me too.
I have just been in the postition you are in last week. If you want to stop drinking now, and not finish the rest of the cans, but are worried about withdrawal, please know that once you start withdrawal, you can always go to the A&E and they will usually give you something to help.
But, they only do this if you have less than the drink/drive limit of BAC. If you go with more than that in your system, they generally just send you home and tell you to taper.
I don't know if you are in England, N.Ireland or Scotland, but in England, when I went to the doctors, still drinking and asked for help, it was only to be put on a waiting list for home detox (if you have someone to sit with you) or an even longer list for inpatient detox, and told to keep drinking in the meantime. They would not give me any drugs to take away and use myself to help.

I went cold turkey last week, as it was the fastest way I could think of to get out of the hole I was in. Luckily, although it was horrendous, I didn't feel the need to go to hospital. But know, if you do decide to just stop, there is always the A&E to help if you think you are getting into real trouble with the withdrawals. Best of wishes to you
Willa x
Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep.

it's hard to stop.

it's hard to grab onto sobriety and start to change your life.

but it's also really simple.

CHOOSE TO BE SOBER.

STOP DRINKING.

POUR OUT EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT.

GET TO A MEETING - AA, SMART, GROUP THERAPY, ANYTHING you can grab onto that provides you a place of knowledge, guidance and support.

KEEP CHOOSING sobriety.

KEEP ACTING in honor of that choice.

You can do this.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys.am in Scotland and I've been to a&e before but I'd prefer to go to my doctor when am starting detox rather than ending up in a&e because I've waited.I've been going through a cycle of sober 8 weeks drunk for a few for several years now. I have got Campral and antabuse from my doctor but I stop taking them.I have also tried counselling. I think I need to start going to aa I've tried everything else.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't ever give up BigP. Life without alcohol is so much better for me I did counseling as well. I returned to AA meetings as it made a difference for me to have the face to face support .....and I made some great friends
Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bigp, you are not alone, I too have relapsed after 3 months of being sober, I totally understand how ur feeling but you have got sober before so therefore can do it again!
Try an AA meeting, I haven't been to one myself yet but it's definitely looking like an option.
Life really is too short, there's so much out there that we need to see and do, and fortunately for us we do live in a beautiful country, Scotland really does have some of the most beautiful scenery, can you take yourself out for a walk,get some fresh air, and try and put things into perspective a bit.
Im sending you a really big hug🤗
Take it easy Bigp, xx
Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Many of us made that decision to put sobriety first, everyday. It starts with the willingness and then action support that decision. You never have to drink again
Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys.am in Scotland and I've been to a&e before but I'd prefer to go to my doctor when am starting detox rather than ending up in a&e because I've waited.I've been going through a cycle of sober 8 weeks drunk for a few for several years now. I have got Campral and antabuse from my doctor but I stop taking them.I have also tried counselling. I think I need to start going to aa I've tried everything else.
Little over a year ago I went to the Isle of Skye for a wedding. Pretty much everyone was drunk the entire time. Lotta drinking there. Reminds me of my rural hometown where drinking is a hardened part of the culture.

Turns out though, Skye - and Scotland in general - are stunningly gorgeous, wonderful, incredible SOBER.

You live in a blessed place..... grab that by the guts and use it as part of your motivation.

AA is a free, generally-available, powerful tool in a sobriety toolkit.

BIGGEST and most powerful tool is your CHOICE.

Go learn to surf the Outer Hebrides
Go tramping and climbing on Skye
Visit all the historic places your wonderful country has to offer
Take up a new sport or hobby
Get fit and exercise
Skydive!! holy heck, Scotland would be a glorious place for it
Just go for daily walks or runs and take note of how beautiful it all is.... visit the sea.... take in the incredible sunrises and sunsets.... notice the way the rolling hills and the shorelines change in the varied light of the fog, the rain, the sun....

You can do it.

SOBER

Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, I've got hobbies, fishing daft and travel all over the country. I also done the west Highland way and a few munros. Glencoe is my favourite place on earth these are the things I live for. Then I get a craving to drink and I'll sit in the house myself and drink. I miss trips with friends because when I'm on a drunk I don't want to do anything except sit in and get drunk. It's such a waste .
Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, I've got hobbies, fishing daft and travel all over the country. I also done the west Highland way and a few munros. Glencoe is my favourite place on earth these are the things I live for. Then I get a craving to drink and I'll sit in the house myself and drink. I miss trips with friends because when I'm on a drunk I don't want to do anything except sit in and get drunk. It's such a waste .
Stop telling yourself that story.

Start telling a new one.

One like "Great ideas!! I love Glencoe... I love doing things in this beautiful land. I DO things. When I get a craving to sit in my house and drink, instead what I'll do is pick up a map and plan, or head out the door immediately for a hike, or go to a meeting or read the Big Book or jump on the Soberrecovery forum because I know that what I WANT is a rich, sober, rewarding life."

Even the way we tell our stories is a choice.....

The fact that in the past what you've DONE is go on a drunk and sit at home does not mean that's what YOU DO.

Our words create our stories.... our stories create our focus.... our focus creates our reality...

We can choose differently.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Big P .
I am in Glasgow and go to AA , I am chairing a meeting tonight,in St Bridgets Church hall in Bailleston , I think you are in Glasgow or near if you go there any Tuesday , and ask Donny how to get in touch with me , give him your phone number and I will call you .meeting starts at 8pm .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
totfit

I would just tell myself over and over again.....that I never have to feel this way again.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing now BigP?

D
Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just feel asleep on the couch and am feeling a better Dee. I will set my alarm for 8 am tomorrow and get appointment for the docs. I know I'm in for bad withdraw tomorrow but I've done this before, 2 many times so I can do it again. Trying to stay positive, defo not doing this again.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good man. Keep us updated - best wishes at the Drs

D
Old 03-07-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just feel asleep on the couch and am feeling a better Dee. I will set my alarm for 8 am tomorrow and get appointment for the docs. I know I'm in for bad withdraw tomorrow but I've done this before, 2 many times so I can do it again. Trying to stay positive, defo not doing this again.
Very sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time. It's an absolute nightmare!! Just make sure no matter what you make that appointment and go. Sounds like you're ready to turn things around. Take care. John
Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you are struggling so much right now. Good decision to see the dr tomorrow. I hope that helps you get back to sobriety. You can change the story and change the way this goes for you. You do have the power.