I was ready

Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was ready

I was ready to put down a retainer if I liked the lawyer but now is not the time. I should wait. I feel like HP had it all planned out almost 3 years ago but my self will got in the way. UGH. Now HP is teaching me patience. I must wait and accept that now is not the right time. I must focus on my children and myself.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Why is now not the right time? Did you meet with the lawyer? What happened?
Old 03-06-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, stated I should wait until children start talking to counselor, otherwise it will be a gamble about placement.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't want to do this but it's for the best. Nothing changes if I don't change.

You said the above yesterday! Are you sure you just aren't scared?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I'm scared....but this is under the advisement of a lawyer. I've been praying to HP to have the children to open up to counseling. This counsel would have been one of the court's GAL. If they're not talking to this person their not going to talk to GAL.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Support to you
Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

HeartHealth....a couple of questions, if you don't mind.....

What is your custody ("placement") goal.....
would you consider a second opinion?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yes, I think I'd talk with a few lawyers--at least a couple more. Did you describe the abuse in your household? I think it's odd someone would suggest that you stay longer for the sake of getting more information from the counselor.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does this lawyer have a philosophical or religious personal agenda?

I had paid mine a retainer and the papers were drawn up. Apparently the ex went in and told him there wasn't going to be a divorce. So when I called after a couple of months to find out where things stood, "my" lawyer had done nothing.

I wish I knew then what I know now, because I'd have filed a complaint against his sorry sexist "family values" butt, but I didn't.

Just saying that lawyers are people, too, and there are good and bad. They don't always act in your best interest.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It can be difficult to find a good lawyer, though like others have mentioned be sure to meet with at least a couple to find the best fit, and be completely 100% honest with what's going on.
Don't keep making up excuses for your codependency, you know the right thing to do!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Definitely meet with another attorney, call around, some do phone appointments. Our office would never tell you to stay in a toxic and abusive relationship.

Just like with any other huge purchase you make, you don't buy the first car you see and you don't buy the first house. Shop around. Be CONFIDENT in your decision.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One other little thing. If you meet with a few good attorneys that come highly recommended, even if you don't end up retaining them, it would become a conflict of interest for them to represent your husband. It blocks them basically.

Just some food for thought friend. Tight hugs.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
One other little thing. If you meet with a few good attorneys that come highly recommended, even if you don't end up retaining them, it would become a conflict of interest for them to represent your husband. It blocks them basically.

Just some food for thought friend. Tight hugs.
THIS YES!!! If they talk to you once, he can't use them. Go talk to all the best attorneys in town
Old 03-08-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Yes, I think I'd talk with a few lawyers--at least a couple more. Did you describe the abuse in your household? I think it's odd someone would suggest that you stay longer for the sake of getting more information from the counselor.
Yes, I did describe the abuse. She was attentive but her lack of eye contact was upsetting to me. She was shifting between computer, paperwork and the places in the room.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, there you go. This is NOT the kind of lawyer you want to hire. Call some more. I thought it was very odd that it took this long to get an appointment with this one. Most are happy to see a potential client on short notice. And most are MUCH more interested in their clients than this one apparently was.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The other thing is many changes. There's a changing of the guard, new GALs and new judge. If lawyer doesn't know how they will be, no confidence yet how am I to have faith in this lawyer or any lawyer. The other thing is electronic filing he finds out before he gets served.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Have you talked with an advocate about the availability of a protective order? That might be a good first step. It would get him out of the house before any divorce papers are served. A good lawyer will be able to help you plan, regardless of changes in judges and GALs. This one barely gave you the time of day.

Talk to some more--it is well worth it not to take the first opinion you get--especially with someone as apparently disinterested as this one was.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No. It's not divorce procedure as much as protective order that's my codie coming out. I realize I will have to talk to an advocate, to have a plan in place

I will check into two more lawyers.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
I will check into two more lawyers.
I think you definitely need to do this.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am feeling really low lately at home. I started keeping a journal of my feelings and his interactions. I have been more informative to him about things I would like, phone calls help with housework. He has been listening to a small degree not completely getting what it but I always get some form of mockery or verbal or non verbal push back like a 10 year old who doesn't really want to do anything. I started talking about my day and got mockery. I was trying to talk about starting to order the marker for mother.
Work for both of us has been super busy so we have not had time to talk. He has not made any effort to bond. I have not had time to look up lawyers though web searched some. His drinking is down this week, that I know of, but still above what is recommended drinking.
The thing is even if placement doesn't go well with the children. I hope it doesgo well. I know I don't want to be married to him anymore.