Notices

Day 13

Old 03-06-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13

I’m happy to report that I made it through another weekend without drinking…feels good! It was touch and go on Saturday night, as my husband and I had a major argument. He stormed out of our home and was gone for hours, while I sat and wondered if he was going to head to the bar and start drinking again. For a split second I thought about resetting Day 1, but instead I went for a long walk. By the time I came home the urge was gone and my husband had returned. I was thankful to learn that he hadn’t drank! Just wondering if anyone here has stopped drinking at the same time as their spouses?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Both at the same time? ?

You know there was a time that I wished he would stop with me, but after five different groups out how all-over-the-place I was emotionally I early sobriety, I did realise that this was grass-is-greener type thinking.

I reckon that you both need to be ready for some time-outs being called in the early days. But wow - what a lovely thing if you both manage to get sober and with some solid recovery behind you. It will all be worth it.

Just don't focus only on sobriety and dismiss the recovery aspects. If we want a healthy, happy and sustainable sobriety, the n working on the recovery sid eof things is essential. Removing alcohol is like taking away a lame man's crutches. We need to learn to use something else instead, and that's what recovery is all about. The last thing going you need is the two of you white-knuckling away, sniping at each other, collecting resentments against each other and trading them like stamp-warfare.

Well done for your 13 days.

Wishing you all the best for your continued sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 03-06-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 13 days !
Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post

You know there was a time that I wished he would stop with me, but after five different groups out how all-over-the-place I was emotionally I early sobriety, I did realise that this was grass-is-greener type thinking.....
The italics should just read 'but after finding out'. Flippin predictive text. I should never post without, my specs! Lol
Old 03-06-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 13 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Both at the same time? ?

You know there was a time that I wished he would stop with me, but after five different groups out how all-over-the-place I was emotionally I early sobriety, I did realise that this was grass-is-greener type thinking.

I reckon that you both need to be ready for some time-outs being called in the early days. But wow - what a lovely thing if you both manage to get sober and with some solid recovery behind you. It will all be worth it.

Just don't focus only on sobriety and dismiss the recovery aspects. If we want a healthy, happy and sustainable sobriety, the n working on the recovery sid eof things is essential. Removing alcohol is like taking away a lame man's crutches. We need to learn to use something else instead, and that's what recovery is all about. The last thing going you need is the two of you white-knuckling away, sniping at each other, collecting resentments against each other and trading them like stamp-warfare.

Well done for your 13 days.

Wishing you all the best for your continued sobriety and recovery. BB
LOL!!! Quite honestly, it's only Day 13 and we've already been "at it" frequently. Having said that, this isn't our first attempt together. We've tried AA meetings in the past, but he didn't like them and gave up, while I continued abstaining by utilizing online support groups and working out. As mentioned in an earlier post, the longest period of sobriety I have ever had is 11 months. The last few years I made other attempts but only made to 90 days each time. My husband once stopped drinking for 1 year and then went back at it.

At the end of this month we have an appointment scheduled with a therapist who will begin assisting us from a professional level. My hope is that the doctor will get us on the right path and move us into the next level of sobriety. Until then, we both have been working out (which has helped both of us with the stress level). I am learning to disconnect with him when he has a fit, or I feel like I am going to snap at him.

Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate the feedback!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

CreativeThinker, 13 days sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days. My husband and I tried to quit together a few times. We would dance around the subject, at times hoping the other would cave, to give us an excuse to drink ourselves.

This time, I have not drunk for a week and my husband continues to drink daily. If you can stop together and be a support for one another but keep your own sobriety your own, that seems like a great plan.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Carlygirl;6357390]Congrats on 13 days. My husband and I tried to quit together a few times. We would dance around the subject, at times hoping the other would cave, to give us an excuse to drink ourselves.

Thanks Carlygirl! Hubby and I have done the same thing, regarding waiting for the other to cave. It's not easy because we're not exactly the best support system for each other. For instance, tonight he told me he wanted a drink. I told him that I did too, but "the feeling" went away for me after I worked out. He made a great choice and he worked out... LOVE THAT!