Alcoholic boyfriend has major skin problems.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic boyfriend has major skin problems.

My alcoholic bf had his leg amputated due to a MRSA infection. Since the amputation, his foot on his good leg peels, cracks and bleeds. His hands are also peeling and cracking. Severe dry skin. He has been to an allergist who said he had a nickel allergy and has eliminated things that have nickel including beer cans ...switched to bottled beer. But nothing seems to be improving. Anyone else have skin issues like this? He doesn't eat ...drinks a case a day and smokes 2 packs a day. I'm sure this isn't helping and contributing to the problem. Just curious if this is due to long term alcoholism and if anyone has info I would appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If I had to guess (and I'm not a medical professional, but I've read a lot about alcoholism over the years), it might be malnutrition and a vitamin deficiency. Many alcoholics--even those with plenty of money for good food--suffer from malnutrition.

You said he doesn't eat, which suggests that may be the problem.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that sounds awful.....for both of you. how do you have a meaningful relationship with someone who does nothing but drink and smoke, all day, every day?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
that sounds awful.....for both of you. how do you have a meaningful relationship with someone who does nothing but drink and smoke, all day, every day?
Well it's not easy. We have been together for 10 years off and on. He is my best friend. We don't live together and I enjoy my time to myself in my own place. I care about him a great deal but I know I can't fix him. I just try to enjoy his company when I can ...he is a good person with a good heart and he is fun to be around ...he is an alcoholic and the effects of that are catching up to him. I know your next question may be how is he fun to be around? He enjoys good music, he has a contagious laugh ...a happy drunk you might say. But he has also been there for me in many ways. I guess I am able to see the person he is underneath the alcoholism. And I have learned how to take care of myself and not let his alcoholism drag me down. Many years on SR helped me with that and I am very grateful
Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol abuse is a risk factor for several skin diseases, including eczema and psoriasis. As the largest organ of the body, it would make sense that it would show the effects.

I'm sorry you're having to watch this happen to someone you love.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Just curious if this is due to long term alcoholism and if anyone has info I would appreciate it. Thank you! "

i had a friend( notice "had"- he died from alcoholism) who had the skin problem. the liquid diet was the cause. he managed to stop drinking for a month and eating properly and his skin started healing.
unfortunately, he started drinking again and the skin condition got even worse until he died
with that said, the only info i can give is it seems stopping drinking and eating healthy are a good treatment.
heres some info on treatment for alcoholism:
Alcoholics Anonymous

Outpatient Drug Rehab: SoberRecovery
Find Alcohol and Drug Detox Centers
Primary Inpatient Addiction Treatment Center: SoberRecovery
The Salvation Army - Adult Rehabilitation
How to Find a State-Funded Rehab Center
Old 03-05-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Tomsteve. I am so sorry you lost your friend to alcoholism. I worry about the same thing happening with my bf. I have tried to encourage him to stop drinking and start eating healthy but as you know they have to want it badly enough to stop and the beer is usually number 1. So sad and heartbreaking to watch them destroy themselves. I will keep trying to encourage him and thank you for your reply.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Living on nothing but a case of beer and two packs of smokes a day would make anyone sick. I think a docs visit is in order and of course to get off this dangerous path and start getting healthy.
I have to ask, are you continuing to enable him with all this drinking? I would imagine getting around on his own would be difficult.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Living on nothing but a case of beer and two packs of smokes a day would make anyone sick. I think a docs visit is in order and of course to get off this dangerous path and start getting healthy.
I have to ask, are you continuing to enable him with all this drinking? I would imagine getting around on his own would be difficult.
Believe it or not he drives himself using his left leg. He buys his own beer or his dad buys it and he drinks in his garage ...at least doesn't drink and drive. I don't give him money to buy beer he finds a way on his own. He's functional to a point. I just mentioned to him what Tomsteve told me about his friend and asked him ..doesn't that scare you? His response: "not really".
Old 03-05-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Of course it doesn't scare him--those things happen to "other people." Won't happen to him.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Also he has been to several docs..all who state the obvious ..stop drinking! But he continues. Nothing anyone can do but encourage him to stop or watch it destroy him. I will continue to be his friend and love him til the end. He's a good person despite the alcohol. I do my best to just take care of me and let him do what he is going to do regardless. Stay on my side of the street and practice self care and detaching all the things I've learned here on SR.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

suncatcher...you might try googling "peeling skin Mayo Clinic" and, also googling "impaired circulation to lower extremities".......
I wonder if it is bothering you more than it is even bothering him?
I would presume that he is not interested enough to consult a dermatologist?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dandy. I think it does bother me more than it bothers him. He has been to dermatogist who thought it may be a nickel allergy. He's tried everything but quitting drinking. Im sure it's a combination of dehydration and malnourishment. I've googled and googled trying to find remedies and treatments but I think the end result is the same. If he continues to drink his health problems will continue to worsen and it's a slow death. But he doesn't seem to care so I can only take care of myself and my well being. Thanks for being here I have always found comfort here on SR. I appreciate all of you
Old 03-05-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I, frankly, would question the competence of a dermatologist who thinks it's a nickel allergy, assuming he or she knows of his alcoholism history. If he was hospitalized long enough to have a leg amputated, I would presume that his alcoholism came to light. Didn't he go through withdrawal when he was hospitalized?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It is hard to know what is said between the doctor and patient, unless one was in the room/rooms at every meeting...
Patients can be very misleading when questioned "What did the doctor say?" Partial reporting/selective reporting.
And, of course, alcoholics are usually very minimalist, when asked about their intake...lol...
Also, it is quite possible that any with drawl symptoms might have been masked by some of the medications that he was given , in the hospital...and, may have, even been prescribed when he returned home...home...where he could get the alcohol, again..... (I have known many alcoholics who had alcohol/drugs sneaked into the hospital by sympathetic buddies, also). they don't search bags in medical units....
Believe it , or not, nickel allergy is a "thing"...where ever metals are concerned. Dermatology symptoms are often called the diagnosis of exclusion, because there can be so many possibilities, that one has to be a good detective.
It is also, possible that the two different body parts may have different etiologies...or, even some overlapping etiologies....it can be a veritable laundry list...(and, of course nutrition can have a major role or a compounding role, in most everything)....
Wouldn't one like to see the whole medical report?...lol.....
Old 03-05-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, I'm not at all questioning whether a nickel allergy is a "thing"--I know that it is. But with someone whose nutritional intake consists solely of alcohol, it wouldn't be the beginning and end of my suspicions. I wouldn't throw up my hands because I was unable to confirm a nickel allergy. And I'm quite sure that malnutrition affects the body's ability to respond to ANY stressors--allergens or not.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It may be that the patient was the one to "throw up the hands". suncatcher says that it bothers her more than him. Doctors will see a patient, as long as they are willing to come, if a diagnosis is being sought after....
Lots of patients will just drop the rope, if the symptoms are not impairing their ability to function, in some way....they may just opt to live with the discomfort or inconvenience, rather than go through the hassle of follow ups....
also, active alcoholics/addicts are not known to like medical appointments, in general and are not usually the most compliant bunch...lol....
Old 03-05-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it's pretty safe to say he could care less about his health, or really anything else besides drinking, and will likely never stop until it kills him.
It's tough to see, but far too common.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I, frankly, would question the competence of a dermatologist who thinks it's a nickel allergy, assuming he or she knows of his alcoholism history. If he was hospitalized long enough to have a leg amputated, I would presume that his alcoholism came to light. Didn't he go through withdrawal when he was hospitalized?
Strangely he did not go through withdrawals in the hospital. The doctors were aware of his intake and put him on alcohol withdrawal precautions. The dermatologist did skin patch testing to confirm the nickel allergy. He was also allergic to fragrances and other things but though he may be allergic to things like nickel his drinking only makes things worse. I told him to give up drinking for a month and start eating healthy and hydrating himself with water to see if the problem clears up but he is not willing to do that. He won't change and I have accepted it ...it's still hard to watch him do this to himself but as dandy said it doesn't seem to bother him as much as it bothers me. I just encourage and don't enable. And thank God we don't live together I couldn't do it if I had to live with it every day.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maybe you can get him on them milkshakes with all the nutrients, think they are called ensure. My dad was on them when he had cancer. He could maybe have one on waking before he starts drinking. It's not solving the big issue but might help with at least the skin issue. Good luck.