Notices

First time

Old 03-05-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation First time

Hello all,

Not sure if I am in the right place. I joined this forum because I believe I have a problem. No one else has told me I have a problem. I've always enjoyed drinking, never really believed it to be a problem, I don't think i'm much different then most people I know. Like to have some drinks at the socials on Saturday night. Don't really drink a whole lot any more other than Friday or Saturday night I might put away an 8 pack. My personal opinion is I don't have a drinking problem.

My problem though is somehow at the age of 38 I developed a taste for cocaine. I don't do it on work nights, at least not anymore, I did for awhile. But I do it every weekend. And to be honest I wouldn't even consider that a problem if it didn't cost me a 1000 dollars a month. Or 680 a month if I find the right guy that weekend. To me that's where it becomes a problem, and why I know i'm in trouble is I am completely aware of the expenses, and yet Friday night rolls around I am getting some anyway.

That doesn't even mention the gambling, where I can spend 400 or 500 in one sitting. Only when I can afford it of course. ,I still pay my bills , but I have next to nothing for bills because I live in my parents basement.

So while I can hold down a fulltime job, and make good money, I have no self control with that money. I spend the excess rather than trying to better myself. I know that it comes down to self control. But so far for as smart as I think I am, common sense is losing. So my question is how do I nip this in the bud before it gets worse. Righ now I am just getting by when I should prosper. But if I keep on this path of not denying myself what I crave it can only get worse.

I feel that with a support group that if I choose just to go there on a Friday night I could maybe break this habit, but so far on my own, even with full knowledge that I feel I should not do what I am doing I still do it anyway.

Apologies for breaking the word limit on a first post if I did.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I don't think there is a word limit, so no worries there.

I have no experience with cocaine, but it sounds to me you are headed down a slippery path. I believe most addictions are the same- they only get worse, never better. The only solution is to stop. I'm an alcoholic myself and I started out just socially, not every night, etc etc and within a timeframe of a few short years was drinking from 10 am until I passed out at night. the only solution was to quit entirely.
You are playing with fire and will end up losing at some point. Why not stop now? Obviously your health, your life, your happiness is number one but think of the money you'll save if you quit cocaine and gambling. If you are ok with your alcohol intake then you are, only you can decide if you have a problem with that or not.

Definitely lean on us as much as you need to, especially when the weekend rolls around and you start to think about using.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Twolf
No word limit here

Cocaines not part of of my personal experience, but I think you'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 03-05-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply's and I totally agree that I need to stop. But I am not sure how to go about it. How do you stop doing something when you cant even listen to your own better judgement. I need outside help for this.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My drug of choice was alcohol but this site helped me immensely.

Whenever I was tempted or craving I'd post and be talked down, or post to other people and the urge passed.

The value of support, from people who know how you feel, really can't be underestimated.

D
Old 03-05-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TWolf2016 View Post
How do you stop doing something when you cant even listen to your own better judgement.
Just hope for a few moments everyday where you feel better. There are recovery "plans" so you can at least physically do something while the switch begins to fall.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TWolf2016 View Post
Thanks for your reply's and I totally agree that I need to stop. But I am not sure how to go about it. How do you stop doing something when you cant even listen to your own better judgement. I need outside help for this.
Welcome TWolf, I am new today, this resonated with me. I can't believe I can't believe I don't listen to my own better judgement, no matter how many times I tell myself, a half second change of mind and it is on again. Good luck with your journey.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. So there seems to be some worries there for you. Alcohol (8 in 1 sitting), cocaine (that is a lot of dollars)and gambling. Any one in moderation may not be seen as addictive behaviour. Only you can be the judge of that. Read around the threads. Keep posting
Old 03-05-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum TWolf!!