Notices

6 days sober

Old 03-03-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 6 days sober

I have been a heavy binge drinker for 20 years. I usually binge for a few weeks or months and then swear it off for a week or two or I drink for a couple days and then take a couple days off etc. I just turned 38 and I drink a 12 pack or more of light beer in a few hours each night. I don't really drink liquor. I don't smoke or use drugs but I have in the past. I don't pop pills now but of course I have in the past.

Today I bit the bullet and had blood taken to assess the damage I've done. I have severe anxiety because I won't hear from the doc until Monday. I have been suffering from all kinds of weird physical problems for a month now which has scared me into sobriety and getting a physical. I have a real problem diagnosing myself via Dr. Google. My main problem now is some nerve pain in my leg and random muscle twitching in my limbs which I hope is just caused by my severe anxiety and obsessing about scary "possible" health problems.

Alcohol has always been a coping mechanism for many of my issues, especially hypochondria. Anyone else have similar issues? From my past experience I should be done withdrawing at this point but I have really been hard on my body for the last 6 months. I have never had any life threatening severe withdrawal symptoms.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Albyalbright

The longer we drink the worse our withdrawal effects can be. It's called alcoholic kindling.

6 days is great, but by the end of my drinking days it was taking me 10 days to 2 weeks to really feel ok again.

If it helps though the great majority of us found our health was better than we feared, or at least not past the point of reversal.

and yeah stay off Dr Google - it's like trying to use an encyclopedia to build a nuclear reactor

Try not to worry too much - there's a ton of support here

D
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't let up. I made it 12 days once and would often wake up shaking from nightmares. It wasn't withdrawl but I'm not sure why it was happening. Finally started drinking again just to get my mind back... depersonalization. Please hang in there and update when you can.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just laying here in bed taking things minute by minute. My wife is fed up talking about it so it helps to hear from you all. The doc sorta chuckled when I discussed some of the things I googled. I would love to find a doc that specializes in alcoholism. I'm calling to get an appt. with a psychiatrist on Monday.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Albyalbright! Welcome! Congratulations on 6 days! I can really relate to your post. I have severe health anxiety too. Right now your anxiety is probably going to ramped up because you have been off the alcohol for a short time. I am almost 3 months in to my sobriety and the anxiety has lessened so much since when I first began. In fact once you have some months off the booze you will be comforted in the fact that you aren't damaging your body.
What I do recommend and that has helped me so much is going to see a nutritionist. I went in and told her exactly what my issues were with anxiety and with my alcoholism and since I have changed my diet and have taken some B complex I am telling you my anxiety has gone way down.

Twitching is so common - or it was when I was drinking (and with high anxiety in general). I don't have them anymore and I am only 3 months sober. Alcohol just makes anxiety sooooo much worse. So does googling. DO NOT ... I REPEAT - DO NOT GOOGLE your symptoms. Ban yourself from that act entirely. Also this is a website that has podcasts that deal with anxiety
anxietyguru.net

It's really helpful. I understand that health anxiety can be absolutely crippling. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But I guarantee you as time goes on you will get better. There are lots of resources out there on coping like CBT or therapy. There are also online support groups for people with health anxiety.

Sorry I went on a ramble. Again Welcome! I can completely relate. Sending you lots of encouragement!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
Hi Albyalbright! Welcome! Congratulations on 6 days! I can really relate to your post. I have severe health anxiety too. Right now your anxiety is probably going to ramped up because you have been off the alcohol for a short time. I am almost 3 months in to my sobriety and the anxiety has lessened so much since when I first began. In fact once you have some months off the booze you will be comforted in the fact that you aren't damaging your body.
What I do recommend and that has helped me so much is going to see a nutritionist. I went in and told her exactly what my issues were with anxiety and with my alcoholism and since I have changed my diet and have taken some B complex I am telling you my anxiety has gone way down.

Twitching is so common - or it was when I was drinking (and with high anxiety in general). I don't have them anymore and I am only 3 months sober. Alcohol just makes anxiety sooooo much worse. So does googling. DO NOT ... I REPEAT - DO NOT GOOGLE your symptoms. Ban yourself from that act entirely. Also this is a website that has podcasts that deal with anxiety
anxietyguru.net

It's really helpful. I understand that health anxiety can be absolutely crippling. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But I guarantee you as time goes on you will get better. There are lots of resources out there on coping like CBT or therapy. There are also online support groups for people with health anxiety.

Sorry I went on a ramble. Again Welcome! I can completely relate. Sending you lots of encouragement!
Congratulations on your sobriety! Thank you for the encouragement! No apology needed! I appreciate the positive feedback from everyone! Thanks for the helpful information! Your reply was very soothing to my worries! I have been focusing on a more balanced diet this week. Today was just so bad for my anxiety since I went to the doc. My bp was 164/92, heart rate was 136. Super tense all day but what's new! Took my vitals two hours ago and they were normal. Thanks again for taking the time to help me! I truly had crippling anxiety tonight. Couldn't be a dad or husband. Just a trembling, worried, panicked mess.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Albyalbright and welcome to SR.

You're right to take it step by step, minute by minute, or as I like to say, baby steps.
My anxiety was through the roof when I stopped drinking, I really didn't relate the two though! I know, when I look back it was so obvious. Though I always used alcohol to cope too, it caused me more anxiety than I ever realised.

I found this site which was a life saver for me. Reading experiences on here and people listening who knew what I was going through, was a great help.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Count me in the super hypochondriac group. A few years ago I was so convinced something was severely wrong with me I started going to doctor after doctor to find the problem. I had full blood work, a full body sonogram, thyroid tests, breast cancer screening, an MRI, an ECG, a full sleep two hour EEG, more blood work, urine tests, and on and on and on. It turns out I was just drinking too much. No hard damage was done at that point but being drunk 24/7 was really affecting me.
It takes time to let all the alcohol wash out and for you to start to feel better. It also takes being clean for a while to find out what problems are alcohol related and what problems are *really* there. My psychiatrist explained it like this. If a house floods, you first need to drain the water before you can start to look and see any damage- cracks in the foundation, mould in the walls, etc.
A visit to a psychiatrist sounds like a great idea, mine really helped me.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and Mera for your kindness! I I just want to thank everyone again. I've had a few hours of sleep. Hopefully I can get a few more.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Still alive

It was a long night but I'm alive and still sober. Somehow my lower back has decided to go out on me when I went to get the kids donuts. Now I'm walking crooked. Sometimes it's nice just to feel pain that I've had in the past instead of a new foreign pain as silly as that sounds...I hope everyone has a good day.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too albyalbright

D
Old 03-05-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hanging in there

Went to church today, still sober. Fighting crushing anxiety today.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The anxiety is normal for early sobriety. Don't go back to drinking, you can do this.

I think everything will be okay with the doctor. Can you get out and take a walk in nature? Ride a bike? Anything to get out of your head. Concentrate on your breathing for five minutes.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really scary to face recovery head on, but it sounds like you're doing well. Congratulations on 6 days sober. I hope that you get good news from the dr and good idea to plan on seeing a psychiatrist.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Albyalbright!!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 03-05-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Its gonna be a long night. Sundays have always been my drinking day (along with most other days..HA!) but always Sunday. For some reason even when I was a kid I dreaded the week ahead for numerous reasons. SR has been helping thats for sure. I have managed to stay off google and avoid triggers. If I could put my life on pause and go to rehab I would because it is rough being a parent while you withdraw and cope with life sober.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So far so good

The labs came back fine. Nothing major to worry about. Still sober.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Albyalbright View Post
The labs came back fine. Nothing major to worry about. Still sober.
great news
Old 03-06-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is pure misery. I'm so exhausted and my nerves are shot. Almost gave in and bought beer.