family member abusing methadone

Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

family member abusing methadone

I'm just looking for advice about how to help someone when they abuse their methadone. They are in program that doesn't seem to be helping at all. Will go for a while taking the methadone correctly and then start taking more and more. Taking two days worth at one time and buying it on the street to have more. Is this something that should be reported to the doctor where they get the medication? I know the program is supposed to be helpful but it seems like it's keeping this person suck in the cycle of addiction with no real way out. At the same time it's up to them to be honest and that doesn't ever happen. The thoughts of overdose for me are scary so I feel I shouldn't keep the secret but it's also none of my business and they need to help themselves. I believe I am the only person who knows this information. I don't have any history with dealing with addiction and don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I can understand that you're worried. The Methadone program works for some addicts, but research has shown, just like in your case, that many of those entering the program either sell their Methadone on the street to get something else instead*( their drug of choice), or they begin combining methadone with other drugs and their addiction spirals. My AH wasn't in the programme but he bought methadone off the street which he combined with suboxone and cocaine. What I've learnt is that methadone can be really dangerous in combination with other drugs. In my AH's case the combination of methadone and subs was lethal. He OD'ed and died last summer and the medical examiner told me it was because he had combined methadone with suboxone at a high dosage.

I don't know what to advice you considering whether to report the doctor or not, but I know I would have considered the fact. But that is the only thing you can do, if you choose to do it. The addict has to be willing to quit drugs and work towards sobriety himself/herself. We cannot do anything to change/push that. My AH wasn't willing to work on his sobriety even though he got clean and the outcome was devastating. I hope the other members on SR can give you some more advice on how to go about with the doctor's issue.

Sending you blessings and hope //SoDev
Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know the program is supposed to be helpful but it seems like it's keeping this person suck in the cycle of addiction with no real way out.
That’s because programs like methadone are to be used in conjunction with a recovery plan and program like NA or AA. Kind of like using a crutch while the limb heals and one can actually get to the point where it is no longer needed.

When my ex first began Suboxone for opiate abuse he was in counseling and attending AA meetings regularly. He was working with his doctor on a recovery plan which included weaning off of the suboxone. He was down to a very low dose working towards ending it altogether but sadly that never happened, he felt he needed that crutch and felt he may have needed it forever.