Notices

Postpartum Alcohol Abuse

Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Postpartum Alcohol Abuse

Hi all. I am new to the site so I figured I'd introduce myself and hope that you all can help me . After my second daughter was born in September, I started drinking very heavily to ease the stress of having two babies under the age of one (10 months apart). I started just drinking a couple days a week, but then it parlayed into 5 days in a row, then 8, then 10, now I'm on day 13 in a row. I drink anywhere between 5 shots to 16 shots/day. I really really want/need to stop. I feel like I am in a downward spiral. I am ashamed to tell anyone, especially my husband. While I drink to the point of intoxication, I can hide it pretty well because it almost normalizes. I am so nervous about having heavy withdrawal symptoms since it has been 5 months since I have been drinking on an almost daily basis...sometimes only at night, sometimes throughout the whole day. I woke up with the worst hangover this morning from drinking all day yesterday and had to drink more to just function. I have consumed a total of 5 shots today (vodka is my drink of choice). Between Friday and Saturday, I went a total of 30 hours between drinks which is the best I've done in the recent past. My last drink was at 9am this morning, so I am already feeling pretty bad. Any advice on withdrawing privately at home? Right now I have a low-grade fever, hand shakes, and clammy hands. I will undoubtedly have night sweats all night tonight as I always get those the nights I do not drink. I really want to make it to the 72 hour mark and hopefully not feel so bad. Help!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by BabyBlues2 View Post
I really want to make it to the 72 hour mark and hopefully not feel so bad. Help!
There is a lot of discomfort to early withdrawal. Five months of drinking is a relatively short span and the worst of the withdrawals should be over in a matter of days.

If you are truly worried, you should see your doctor and be honest about your drinking and your desire to stop.

You should loop your husband into the situation. Don't be ashamed. It would help you greatly if you told him and he could take some of the burden of child care while you work through withdrawals.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Quitting is never something to be ashamed of/embarrassed by,that is the emotional twist the addiction( the AV) is trying to rope you in with to keep you tied up. You are obviously going to have to quit on your own, but that doesn't mean some help along the way wouldn't make it a little easier.
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 02-27-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please be cautious with withdrawals and contact your dr or ER if you have any concerns.

I am glad you know you have to stop drinking and change your life. You will find lots of support here.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As Carl said, acute physical withdrawal only lasts several days. If you have severe symptoms, please see your doctor. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate. I also started drinking post partum.. My son has special needs and I couldn't handle it. At first it was only a few drinks in the evening but after a very stressful couple of weeks when he turned 2 I started earlier in the day. My rock bottom came when I got a DUI with my son in the car (on my way to bottle shop). It was only 6pm in the evening. Did this wake me up? For a little while but my son is now just turned 4 and I'm still struggling. Day 2 today. Our babies need us to be the best we can be. My son is my motivation to keep trying for sobriety. One day at a time. My son is at the age now where he will begin to notice and remember things. I love him so much and need to do this for him.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also I had severe post partum depression and I am now seeing a therapist to help address my anxiety depression and addiction issues. It might be worth talking to your doc about the baby blues. They will also give you some medication to help with withdrawl
Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the State I'm in, Florida, they will no longer administer withdrawal meds due to the amount of addicts and doctor shoppers.

You need to be admitted to the hospital.

Not sure about other states.

Just an FYI because I see many recommending that for a manageable at home detox
Old 02-27-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BabyBlues!! You can do this!!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Definitely see your doctor, BabyBlues. Postpartum depression is a real and legitimate problem, and it can be helped. Your doctor can diagnose it, and get you better quality help than alcohol. He/she will also help you detox safely.

Certainly tell your husband! He needs to be aware that you're struggling so that he can care for you!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support all! The reason I don't want to tell my husband is because I don't want him to know how much I've been drinking. In any event, I did go to see an internal medicine doctor last week for chest pains that I'd been having for 3 weeks at the time - I told him that I believed it was anxiety-induced and caused by stress. As doctors do, he ordered a bunch of bloodwork and an X-ray and CT scan of my chest (d-dimer levels were elevated). All came back normal...so I guess the good news is is that my liver is functioning fine (for now!). After the CT scan results were normal, I never heard from him again. My hopes were to be prescribed some anxiety meds to help me. I'm not looking for any benzodiazepines as I don't want anything addictive, but I looked into a drug called buspirone which doesn't seem to be addictive. However, like I said, $1,000 in bills and no contact from the doctor. Sadly, I ended up drinking more last night to again get rid of the withdrawal symptoms, so here I am, Day 1 (x2). Felt great this morning up until about 20 minutes ago. Now I have the shakes and feel like my brain is running at a mile a minute. Heart rate is normal though. Hard to focus at work, which is unfortunate because I have a lot on my plate today...Here's to hoping I can get through it!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would try seeking out a therapist and be honest with them about having pretty severe PPD leading to excessive drinking. You can always call the docs office back and ask to speak with a nurse to let them know about it, and if they can prescribe you something. They most likely will have no problem with it. In the meantime there is always AA, and of course put the bottle down,
Old 02-28-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for the support all! The reason I don't want to tell my husband is because I don't want him to know how much I've been drinking. In any event, I did go to see an internal medicine doctor last week for chest pains that I'd been having for 3 weeks at the time - I told him that I believed it was anxiety-induced and caused by stress. As doctors do, he ordered a bunch of bloodwork and an X-ray and CT scan of my chest (d-dimer levels were elevated). All came back normal...so I guess the good news is is that my liver is functioning fine (for now!). After the CT scan results were normal, I never heard from him again. My hopes were to be prescribed some anxiety meds to help me. I'm not looking for any benzodiazepines as I don't want anything addictive, but I looked into a drug called buspirone which doesn't seem to be addictive. However, like I said, $1,000 in bills and no contact from the doctor. Sadly, I ended up drinking more last night to again get rid of the withdrawal symptoms, so here I am, Day 1 (x2). Felt great this morning up until about 20 minutes ago. Now I have the shakes and feel like my brain is running at a mile a minute. Heart rate is normal though. Hard to focus at work, which is unfortunate because I have a lot on my plate today...Here's to hoping I can get through it!
If you are to the point of having to drink just to feel normal, it's likely a physical dependance thing...you really should speak with a doctor about it. And i'd also recommend being honest with your husband about this...it's an issue that affects him and your child...please don't let your shame or guilt prevent you from doing what's best for your family.

It is certainly possible that the physical symptoms you are having could be the result of anxiety too. I am a diagnosed GAD/health anxiety sufferer and also attempted to use alcohol for years to improve it, but ended up making everything worse of course. Quitting drinking completely was a big help, but you need to get safely detoxed first.

Regarding the anti-anxiety meds, please know that none of them are a magic pill that will just make the anxiety go away. Almost all of them are designed to be used in conjunction with therapy/counseling as well. They only treat the symptoms, not the cause. I've tried several myself and you are smart to stay away from then benzo's, they are literally the equivalent to alcohol in pill form for an alcoholic.

Bottom line though, you really need to be honest with your doc or see a therapist to get to the bottom of the real problem safely.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Scott,

I saw your post in another thread about using exercise and meditation to reduce stress and anxiety. I am actually hoping to do the same thing! I am hoping that after 5 days sober (which I hope to make!), then I will be able to add in exercise in the morning before work.

Fingers crossed!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Scott,

I saw your post in another thread about using exercise and meditation to reduce stress and anxiety. I am actually hoping to do the same thing! I am hoping that after 5 days sober (which I hope to make!), then I will be able to add in exercise in the morning before work.

Fingers crossed!
Yes, exercise and meditation can be a big help for sure. For me those 2 things along with counseling and also working on my sleep/eating habits have helped tremendously over time.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It must really be hard working and having 2 little ones.
I hope you have some family support.
Just the 2 babies is a lot physically and mentally.
Please be patient and take care of yourself too..