Notices

Sports and Alcohol

Old 02-27-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sports and Alcohol

I’m a big football and basketball fan. I’ve been a heavy drinker for two years – the excessive indulging actually began with me watching a game and getting drunk. My football team consistently disappoints me with every season, so watching them mess up again while drunk became preferable; the booze made me laugh at the ridiculousness of it all, while sober I’d get annoyed.

As usual, my football team has had another disappointing season. As the football season begins to wind down, I’m shifting my focus to my basketball team. NBA Playoffs begin in mid-April and end in early June. Last year I actually took a month off work from mid-May to mid-June so I could watch the playoffs and the Finals. The time difference with the USA means the games come on between 1am to 3am here, so I knew there was no way I could watch the games while going to work. So, I decided to take my obligatory 30 days off at that moment.

I drink a lot, but last year during the NBA Playoffs, it was absolutely ridiculous. I’ve never binged as much as I did during that period. Knowing that I didn’t have work the next day, I wasn’t on a leash and I drank non-stop. Last year my basketball team ended up being crowned as champions, and on the day of the title-deciding game, I was so nervous. I started drinking at 9am – the game came on at 2am the next day and ended around 5am. Throughout all that time, I was drinking. I vomited several times but kept going. I was physically sick and bed-ridden for 3 days in the aftermath.

I’m trying to beat alcoholism, but my love for sports remains. Several posters have told me to plan in advance, so I avoid triggers and falling down the same rabbit hole. Heeding their advice, I’ve decided that this year I’m not going to take days off in order to watch the playoffs. I’ll just catch up with the highlights the day after. However, there’s no way I plan on missing the Finals. There’s a high probability that my team will make the Finals (and a high probability they will meet the team they beat last year - the team I loathe with a passion).

I usually go to a bar to watch the games, but for the Finals, I’ve decided to get a month’s worth TV subscription so I can watch the games at home. So it will be just be me, the cat and hot cocoa. It’s not going to be so straightforward – my brain is conditioned to booze when watching sports, so no doubt I’ll get cravings. Especially if the going gets tough for my boys. But using the advice from the fine folks here, I think I can do it.

I’d appreciate any additional advice on how to navigate this problem. Being on this site has made me realize the value in planning far ahead.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol free Beers? I've found a few that actually taste a bit like beer!

I've found 'Bitburger Drive' is the closest thing and 'Bavaria' make a 0.0% beer too.

It's not the same but it is the same if that makes sense?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will however, add this.

I've avoided them on this attempt at quitting as before I'm not sure if they have contributed to me feeling alcohol normalised and as a step to drinking again...I couldn't tell for sure so I've just stayed clear of all substitutes.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunitfin View Post
Alcohol free Beers? I've found a few that actually taste a bit like beer!

I've found 'Bitburger Drive' is the closest thing and 'Bavaria' make a 0.0% beer too.

It's not the same but it is the same if that makes sense?
Hey, Sunit - thanks for commenting.

Regarding alcohol-free beers - I actually don't drink beer. My taste buds don't like the taste and my stomach just can't handle it. I only drink liquor (predominantly whisky, gin and brandy). Whisky is my favourite. When I first started drinking a lot, I used to mix whisky with red bull a lot. I was thinking of perhaps drinking red bull only, but then the games come on very late so it's not a good idea. Plus the taste of red bull may get me all nostalgic and make the cravings worse.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

" may get me all nostalgic and make the cravings worse." -I tried an NA beer one time, that's exactly what happened, euphoric recall.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

I'm a huge San Antonio Spurs fan myself. I can track their 2003,2005, and 2007 NBA titles by the escalating amount of beer I drank while watching them win. I remember after they beat Detroit in the 05 finals, game 7, the way I expressed my joy was walking to the gas station drunk to buy another 12-pack.

It's been an adjustment for me, rooting for them sober. And it didn't help that Tim Duncan just retired and the team is so different now. Manu is still my favorite player, but I've come to love and appreciate Kawhi Leonard and a few others. It helps that I was never a sports bar guy, would watch alone at home and get drunk.

My first 75 day streak I ended in early May 2016 the night the Spurs lost Game 5 to the Thunder and it was clear they'd lose the series. Looking back, I wasn't ready to deal with all the emotions, all the feelings I'd invested in it. At least not without alcohol.

I think I'm in a better place now re sober skills. But the real test will be the playoffs, and that can be very stressful for a fan like me. I know I'm not gonna drink this year no matter what, that me staying sober is way more important than anything else. But I still hope they can get that 6th ring this year! Won't be easy, that's for sure.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Catlover!!

For me sports and drinking very much went hand in hand for many years, but I found that there aren't any conditions to Sobriety, it can be done in any circumstance, I didn't have to give up sport, and in fact I discovered it became more enjoyable to watch, remembering every play, no hangovers in the morning and being able to talk to people about games rather than descending into a drunken haze!!

You can do this!!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I second what Mr. Knight said above. You actually retain much more of the gain watching with your faculties intact. You may start picking up on many of the finer points of the game. I hear you about not liking the Warriors, they can really get on my nerves as around here everyone thinks they are so great, except that I also feel that way about the Cavs. I'm not a big fan of teams that buy the top talent instead of developing it. Go Spurs or anyone else!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I'm a huge San Antonio Spurs fan myself. I can track their 2003,2005, and 2007 NBA titles by the escalating amount of beer I drank while watching them win. I remember after they beat Detroit in the 05 finals, game 7, the way I expressed my joy was walking to the gas station drunk to buy another 12-pack.

It's been an adjustment for me, rooting for them sober. And it didn't help that Tim Duncan just retired and the team is so different now. Manu is still my favorite player, but I've come to love and appreciate Kawhi Leonard and a few others. It helps that I was never a sports bar guy, would watch alone at home and get drunk.

My first 75 day streak I ended in early May 2016 the night the Spurs lost Game 5 to the Thunder and it was clear they'd lose the series. Looking back, I wasn't ready to deal with all the emotions, all the feelings I'd invested in it. At least not without alcohol.

I think I'm in a better place now re sober skills. But the real test will be the playoffs, and that can be very stressful for a fan like me. I know I'm not gonna drink this year no matter what, that me staying sober is way more important than anything else. But I still hope they can get that 6th ring this year! Won't be easy, that's for sure.

I've always respected and admired San Antonio. Their consistency over the years has been ridiculous. Pop is an absolute genius of a coach. I can completely relate with you when you write about escalating your drinking when the Spurs won titles. I've been thinkin about this - when you watch sports and your team wins a very important game, or a very significant moment in the game (Kyrie's 3 in game 7) you feel an adrenaline rush. Do you think there is a correlation between the rush and booze for alcoholics?

Ah man, the Thunder balled out last year in the playoffs. Still can't believe they didn't finish GSW off in the WCF. I love Kawhi Leonard. The way he has developed has been absolutely incredible. I'd love it if the Spurs were to knock off those odious folks from the Bay Area. If you guys meet in the WCF, I'll be rooting for you all the way!!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Welcome to the Forum Catlover!!

For me sports and drinking very much went hand in hand for many years, but I found that there aren't any conditions to Sobriety, it can be done in any circumstance, I didn't have to give up sport, and in fact I discovered it became more enjoyable to watch, remembering every play, no hangovers in the morning and being able to talk to people about games rather than descending into a drunken haze!!

You can do this!!
There is a lot of sense in this - when I'm very drunk, I don't recall a lot of things from the game when I ponder it the day after.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I second what Mr. Knight said above. You actually retain much more of the gain watching with your faculties intact. You may start picking up on many of the finer points of the game. I hear you about not liking the Warriors, they can really get on my nerves as around here everyone thinks they are so great, except that I also feel that way about the Cavs. I'm not a big fan of teams that buy the top talent instead of developing it. Go Spurs or anyone else!
You know, I used to like the Warriors. But last year during their record-breaking season, the hubris emanating from the Bay Area ( both the players and the team) was unbearable. I've been watching the NBA for a long time and I've seen a lot cocky teams and players, but never seen anything like the Warriors last year. It was so satisfying to watch the shocked Oracle Arena and the players after the buzzer sounded in Game 7.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
" may get me all nostalgic and make the cravings worse." -I tried an NA beer one time, that's exactly what happened, euphoric recall.
I can say that I cannot drink cranberry juice for this very reason... I mixed my vodka with it. I've only got 4 months sober, but in that time period I've tried to just have a glass of plain cranberry juice (which before sobriety I always loved) and every sip I took I anticipated the taste of vodka in it. Proved to be too tormenting for me, so now I avoid it all together. Maybe someday this will pass, but for now every little thing (like not drinking cranberry juice) I can do to make my life easier in early sobriety helps tremendously.

I suggest that abstaining from alcohol now and getting some time in between you and your last drink may help when you begin to get close to finals season. For some reason for me, every day that passes and the more time I have since my last drink four months ago helps me. I just don't want to throw away all those sober days that I have, and all I have to do is just not pick up that first drink.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering

I relate. I absolutely love music. So much of it though is in bars.

But as much as I love music, I can't risk it.

So that's one cost I have had to accept for sobriety.

This is the problem in sobriety. We'd like to change nothing but the drink. But for many of us that isn't possible.

Good luck - I hope you find a way of dealing with the link between sport and drink, but if not you might want to start preparing yourself for what could be a necessary painful choice.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubythrill View Post
I can say that I cannot drink cranberry juice for this very reason... I mixed my vodka with it. I've only got 4 months sober, but in that time period I've tried to just have a glass of plain cranberry juice (which before sobriety I always loved) and every sip I took I anticipated the taste of vodka in it. Proved to be too tormenting for me, so now I avoid it all together. Maybe someday this will pass, but for now every little thing (like not drinking cranberry juice) I can do to make my life easier in early sobriety helps tremendously.

I suggest that abstaining from alcohol now and getting some time in between you and your last drink may help when you begin to get close to finals season. For some reason for me, every day that passes and the more time I have since my last drink four months ago helps me. I just don't want to throw away all those sober days that I have, and all I have to do is just not pick up that first drink.
Yes, you are right about getting some time of abstinence between now and the Finals. That's why I am preparing myself for potential hurdles (like the playoffs) well before the beginning.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sober style

Cavs will have to get past Boston to even make the Finals btw, just sayin'.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2/2016

I am a huge football fan My dad Loves the Spurs so a shout-out to those San Antonio fans.

Anyway, at first I thought football games would be horrible for me sober. It turns out they aren't that bad. I just always have an alternate non alcoholic drink in hand and that seems to work for me. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe it comes down to whether you enjoy the excitement of the game itself versus enjoying it only when whoever you're rooting for does well? If you're super miserable when they play well but still lose, maybe it's more about the gratification of identifying with "winners"?

Personally, if I'm overly vested in a team for whatever reason I only watch the last twenty minutes. Cuts down on the angst. I find watching a game where I don't really care about the outcome to be really relaxing.

Good for you for thinking ahead. Think of all the money you're going to save staying out of sports bars! You could also find a live chat of like-minded fans to "talk" to online during the game for support?

One thing's for sure...at least this year you'll remember what happens?

P.S. You could always pick a team that is likely to win to cut down on the stress...Patriots, for example. #obnoxiousNewEnglanderstillhappy
Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, I can totally relate. I've been a huge Raiders fan back to the old days as my dad knew some of the players and Coach Madden. In any event, there were times I'd spend watching the old glory day games/superbowls on Youtube in until 3am.

My advice: consider yourself a "free-agent" fan. Don't get so invested with one team. Enjoy the sport and root for players. For instance, even though my Raiders had a completely heartbreaking season end, I still rooted for the Patriots because I like several players and the coach.

There's no rule that says you can't follow multiple teams. And think about it, players and coaches can leave. Heck, even the owner can pack up the team and move. As a fan are you stuck with the same crappy team? No, you're free to leave and follow another one that my be in the playoffs. Bandwagon fan? No, I'd refer to it as a "free-agent" fan!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Start rooting for New England.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Maybe it comes down to whether you enjoy the excitement of the game itself versus enjoying it only when whoever you're rooting for does well? If you're super miserable when they play well but still lose, maybe it's more about the gratification of identifying with "winners"?

Personally, if I'm overly vested in a team for whatever reason I only watch the last twenty minutes. Cuts down on the angst. I find watching a game where I don't really care about the outcome to be really relaxing.

Good for you for thinking ahead. Think of all the money you're going to save staying out of sports bars! You could also find a live chat of like-minded fans to "talk" to online during the game for support?

One thing's for sure...at least this year you'll remember what happens?

P.S. You could always pick a team that is likely to win to cut down on the stress...Patriots, for example. #obnoxiousNewEnglanderstillhappy
Oh yeah, I'm miserable when my team is losing despite playing well. In fact that annoys me even more, because I just think that a good performance has been wasted. And you are so right about watching a neutral game and not having any feelings towards them being so much more relaxing.