Notices

Why do I do this?

Old 02-26-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I do this?

OCD, anxiety?

Im now coming off 5 days of binging. I can't cope,go and but a four pack of cheap light beer, binge one after the other, purge and start all over.

I just can't deal. My neighbor pushed every one of my buttons. I could feel the anger building. I started panicking, binged and absolutely ripped into her, telling she's f'ing annoying, she's triggering me, and to mind her own f'ing business. Then I cried.

I'm overwhelmed. All I want to do is pay my bills and have peace. It's like I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The doctors office cancelled my appointment and rescheduled for the 16 th.

Why do I get hurt so easily. I'm so scared. I'm an adult and I'm so scared. Every lousy thing anyone had ever said comes back to me. I just want peace.

I'm afraid to relax because of memories.

Is this withdrawal?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I push the good away and stuff myself with bad. I punish myself over and over.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you (or do you want to) seek professional help if you cannot quit on your own?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's probably not withdrawal if you are still actively drinking Melissa, its most likely addiction itself. Withdrawals are not fun either, but they are necessary if you do want to quit. None of your other problems can be addressed until you quit either, unfortunately...so it's a necessary evil. Have you considered detox or rehab by chance?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today is day 1.

I've been to detox and rehab. I can stop. Then things will build up. My old fears.

I've stopped for years. Now I'm scared I just enjoy being self destructive

It's almost like someone who cuts and feels better. A release.

I must like it on some sick level.

I hate myself.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Melissa, we care about you very much. Perhaps if we had the answers to your questions there's be fewer of us. A main thing seems to be getting gaught up in the anger. Then deep regret.

The way it works for me. : It's a pendulum. Swinging from one extreme to another fueled by alcohol. You need to stop pushing the pendulum. Let its swinging slow down. The best way I know for this is balanced movement and balanced meditation. Balance needs balance. While allowing yourself to feel the anger, don't get angry at the anger, walk, swim or run always trying to notice how is my breath in the area around the nose. Begin with these simple balance exercises. Slowly the habit pattern changes and you'll find you are more balanced by practicing being balanced.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I felt similar to how you describe it in my last days of drinking. I wasn't binge drinking by then but a daily drinker (didn't get drunk but needed it to be able to function I thought) and I tried to not drink for 2-3 weeks which led to drinking every other day roughly and constant withdrawal before I made a serious attempt at quitting.
I felt suicidal, angry, anxious, helpless, totally overwhelmed, everything was too much, I had no perspective and I thought I needed the alcohol to keep my bad memories (family issues, being raped and later robbed as a late teen/ young adult) locked away. I can also relate to the punishing.
The first two weeks of sobriety were like hell. I couldn't do anything. I just sat in my kitchen, tried to eat and drink lots of water and tea and kept reading and posting on here. That's pretty much all I did. I wrote lots of my thoughts down, tired to allow myself to experience my emotions, even if bad, rather than drowning them in booze.
The good thing is, if you stop drinking and punishing yourself it will get better. It's not easy, really it's hard work but so worth it. And I think you're worth it too
Old 02-26-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I pushed my ex-husband right out of my life.

Anyone that gets too close is pushed out.

I'm not happy unless I'm miserable? Omg.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much.

Yes, it's like if I get TOO well, I have to sabotage myself.

Ugh. I'm sick in the head and bitter.

I don't get why I get off on hurting myself.

Everyone here says they care. Why can't I believe that?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to blame my mother.

Now, I know it's not her fault. It's me behaving like a moron.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kevlarsjal, am I allowed to ask how much you were drinking?

I made it to17 days. I was miserable.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Melissa - so sorry your so sad
You deserve peace and happiness
You already know what it's like to be sober - if you go through the withdrawals you will find peace
Your neighbor won't be able to push your buttons cos you won't be vulnerable
Do it for your self and make yourself proud and stop hating your self you sound lovely to me
Old 02-26-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe it would be a good start to stay away from the booze, makes it much easier to learn to love and accept yourself. And to be less impulsive and cynical. That was the case for me at least.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm keeping your post on my screen to remind me grymt.

I just feel humiliated
Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It depended very much on the day, what I had to do, how my mood and stress levels were. Some days where I could handle my life a bit I drank maybe 3-4 glasses, other days 1.5-2 bottles. But the amount you drink, or what you drink, doesn't really make much of a difference once you have a problem with alcohol IMO.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like a self fulfilling prophecy. When you push people away it makes you miserable so you push people away.

Not trying to be funny, but like George Costanza said: if everything I think is wrong then the opposite must be right.

Maybe try changing the way you view things. It's certainly not an overnight fix but it will help. I used to get angry all the time for every reason under the sun. I figured out there was only one constant. Me. I was the problem not them. Maybe the people that anger you aren't trying to. It's just who they are, or maybe their just a*sses. Either way it's healthier to try and understand where they are coming from or just accept them for who they are.

Quitting drinking, obviously, is step 1.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes I know. Just trying to figure out how much suffering I'm in for.

I'm just obsessing. I always did. I had problems before I ever picked up a drink. I can't afford anymore counseling. Besides, here I don't put up the ******** facade. I've spent my whole life being able to pull off looking and acting "normal"

That's why fake it till you make it doesn't work for me.

I just want to feel better
Old 02-26-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
All is Change

ok, when the wildness settles down. Continue doing what works. A lot of things will keep coming up. Keep on not picking up the first drink. Very important. Keep doing what works.

For me, once I've settled down it helps to attend to some personal need like nourishment, tidying up, rest. Keep bringing your attention to the breath as you go about doing the necessary chores. Continue to change the habit pattern a little bit at a time.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melissa1217 View Post
Yes I know. Just trying to figure out how much suffering I'm in for.

I'm just obsessing. I always did. I had problems before I ever picked up a drink. I can't afford anymore counseling. Besides, here I don't put up the ******** facade. I've spent my whole life being able to pull off looking and acting "normal"

That's why fake it till you make it doesn't work for me.

I just want to feel better
Oh I get it. I did the same thing. I told my wife I was an alcoholic she didn't believe me. Seriously she didn't. I told my kids I quit drinking and they asked me why, so I'm an expert at faking it. It didn't work for me either.

I just said I'm done and didn't consider anything else. It surely sucked and 4 months in it's not perfect but I'm better now, by a mile, then before.

Yesterday I started a thread about anxiety I had for no reason. It sucked but here I am still standing, well sitting.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
All is Change

the way it works is perhaps explained by paraphrasing Goenka.

The heat of the fire is fueled by adding fuel.

To cool the fire stop adding fuel and throw a handful of cold water on it.

There is an eruption of steam and sound.

Throw another handful of water.

More eruptions.

In time there are no more eruptions.

The process of stilling the anger or passion is the same.

The water is the equanimous awareness. The eruptions is the past store of suppressed anger.

Keep bringing the awareness to the breath in the area of the nose. An eruption follows. Keep throwng cold water on the anger. Don't throw anger on the anger... In time the heat is gone.