Alcoholic Mother and Egomaniac Father (both pain pill users)

Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Mother and Egomaniac Father (both pain pill users)

I grew up with 2 parents who were (and still are) extremely hard to deal with. My mother started abusing alcohol and pain pills towards the end of my teenage years, but, she was always cold and had nasty outbursts all my life. She told me to kill myself with a gun once and has always called me crazy and treated me like I was beneath my siblings.

My father never drank. He does takes some pain meds like my mother, not to the extreme that she does but, still, he uses them unnecessarily regardless. He always talks about himself and puts others down, always saying he is so wonderful and hardworking. It's tiring listening to him go on about himself and bring every conversation back to him.

I have to walk on eggshells around both of my parents and try to talk to them as little as possible as anything I say can set them off. I try to be a good person but I constantly feel awful about myself after talking to them. They lack compassion and have always treated me poorly. They've called me nuts for having normal emotions (crying) and not agreeing with them, and constantly say I'm worthless and delusional.

Anyways, I just needed to vent and want to hear from others who have experienced the same thing because no one else in my life has parents like this and I can't discuss it with them.

Thanks,

Cara
Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, Cara. Welcome. I am sorry for your situation. It's very sad when our parents, who ought to be our protectors when we are young, and our greatest advocates when we grow up, fail so badly.
I have a friend who has a tough relationship with her mother. Her mom is very critical and makes her feel "less than." My friend recognizes that her mother is herself the product of poor parenting, but knowing this helps only a little.
My friend periodically goes no contact with her mother. They live in different states.
Perhaps it would help your state of mind to completely avoid contact with your negative, critical parents altogether. Peace.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, I thought you were living with your parents and suggested moving out....edit

I had to cut ties with someone who was always putting me down. It feels good to be free from it.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, unfortunately I think the only thing I can do is cut them out of my life, at least temporarily. They won't get off of the pills and alcohol and will never change or understand where I'm coming from. I've tried with them so much over the years. They're in their sixties now so I worry about what will happen as they age, but, they are toxic people.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
My Dad is an alcoholic, in my teenage years he was always yelling after me and my siblings and telling me that I was the one who needed to change. As an adult I tried to have a normal relationship with him but is always on and off with the alcohol and it always end with him telling me that I'm the one to blame for everything.

Last time he criticized me he I had enough and went no contact since and it was a good idea. It's sad, I wish I could have a good relationship with him and I'm sure It's the same for you but we need to protect yourself in order to grow. Maybe after that we can try again to see how we react in front of their toxic behaviour.

Good luck and take care xx