Feeling sad and lost while Husband is in rehab

Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling sad and lost while Husband is in rehab

My husband has been in alcohol rehab for 8 days and I feel lonely and lost. He wasn't a huge drinker, just enough to have a problem. It is hard adjusting to not being able to talk yet and just not knowing what his days are like. I am glad he is there to get help, just feel a bit isolated. I have just started seeing a counselor. What was anyone else's experience like during this time? And what are their classes like in rehab?
Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi ginger, I have a ginger cat too, and assuming yours is still around I hope he/she is giving you lots of cuddles.
Im glad your AH has started rehab relatively early in the process and recognised it's not about how much you drink so much as whether it's become a problem for you and your family. I am a recovered A, didn't do rehab but I know there's no future in trying to keep drinking moderately.

I suggest you try to find a chapter of Al-anon you can attend if possible. It's for the F&F rather than the A. As well, spend a bit of time around this forum, reading the stickies at the top of the forum home page which are classic threads, some reading suggestions and references to resources.

Please don't fret about your AH; I assume he's there because he wants to be, and hopefully he's absorbing the message with an open mind. You have a chance to work on yourself. Many As prefer to make their recovery journey without too much interference so if he comes back a little withdrawn it may not be a bad sign.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi ginger, I have a ginger cat too, and assuming yours is still around I hope he/she is giving you lots of cuddles.
Im glad your AH has started rehab relatively early in the process and recognised it's not about how much you drink so much as whether it's become a problem for you and your family. I am a recovered A, didn't do rehab but I know there's no future in trying to keep drinking moderately.

I suggest you try to find a chapter of Al-anon you can attend if possible. It's for the F&F rather than the A. As well, spend a bit of time around this forum, reading the stickies at the top of the forum home page which are classic threads, some reading suggestions and references to resources.

Please don't fret about your AH; I assume he's there because he wants to be, and hopefully he's absorbing the message with an open mind. You have a chance to work on yourself. Many As prefer to make their recovery journey without too much interference so if he comes back a little withdrawn it may not be a bad sign.
Thank you for your reply! Yes I do have a ginger cat, she is 5 months old. She is lots of fun. Yes my husband is there because he wants to be. I will be shopping for a good alnon group. Thank you again!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like FeelingGreat suggested - get yourself to some Al-anon meetings they will help you out greatly with your AH and also will be helpful to yourself too. Hang in there and you came to the right place
Old 02-25-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a good time for you to take care of yourself and try to think out how you will go forward. Peace.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

GingerCat.....basically, he will be getting introduced to the concepts and fundamentals of recovery.....and, hopefully, learning some tools that he can apply, going forward. Most of all, he will be learning that he is helpless over alcohol, and that recovery is a life style that he will need to live by for the rest of his life.
So good that you are beginning to see a counselor for yourself and are open to going to alanon. that is exactly what you will need for yourself.....as the spouse needs attention as much as the alcoholic.....

My very best cat, ever , was a ginger manx!
Old 02-26-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also recommend Al-anon. A life saver and changer for you.

This is time to look after yourself. Relax, be kind to yourself.

He will either recover or not.

It's you that is important. What do you like to do?