Notices

Tomorrow

Old 02-25-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, I'm showing face back to work, I've called out for 2 weeks after a binge, and a medical detox. I'm terrified I'm going to be fired. But it could also be a blessing in disguise. I want to be honest with them and say that I struggle with alcoholism. But I don't know if that's appropriate to say to your employer? I work awful hours, 2:30 - 11 pm. I've found sober friends who I love to go to meetings with, of course they all do the 9 - 5. I want to ask, if they do decide to keep me at work, if they can maybe change my hours to something where I get off work at 6 pm, so I can get with my sober group and friends and continue to goto meetings. I know there are morning meetings, but I don't trust myself to get up early and go by myself. I'm already terrified of still walking in the door at meetings. We don't have any midnight meetings around here either. If they can't change my hours, if I'm still hired, do I walk away and find a new job? I really love the friend I have that makes sure I get to meetings and I've enjoyed the night meetings. I'm in such confusion of what to do. I do not want to stop going to meetings with my sober friend
Old 02-25-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sinking,
I really hope your return to work goes well. Depending on what country you are in their could be laws in place that would make it illegal to fire you for admitting your addiction. Don't take my word for it but perhaps call citizen's advice or whatever you have in your part of the world. If you can't change your hours at work how about calling your recovery group to see if they have someone that would be willing to meet you so that you don't have to walk in alone. Once you get over that hurdle I'm sure you will start to get on with people at the morning meetings to.
Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I live in the USA, Being so new to recovery, 5 days sober, I just don't think going to 1 meeting a week is even close enough
Old 02-25-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You tell them you were in treatment for addiction. They are going to want a reason for your absence, but also assurance that you're going to be present and able to do your job. Someone who took two weeks off without giving a valid reason is unreliable. Just talk to them.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sinking just wondered how it all went? I hope your doing well.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Support to you
Old 02-27-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sinking - I was wondering too how you made out at work.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Sinking,

Just checking in to see how things went at work, and how you are doing.