Notices

Still Struggling

Old 02-24-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Struggling

As a a lot of you know I've been around here more often in the recent months. And everyone here is wonderful.
I'm still struggling with trying to get through the first day.
I can't get back to the same frame of mind I was in when I quit before, that means having that positive attitude.
I'm about nothing but procrastination lately.
I know I have to do it because I have increasing health problems.
Nothing severe yet, just enough that it's affecting me daily.
I know daily exercise would help, but here is that lack of motivation.
This week is hormones and pain for the month so I'm hoping this mopey attitude gets better in a few days.

The good news is that I have been getting out of the house more often the past few weeks and started cooking more often than I was. I had gotten really bad with the drinking in January. Waking up sick and still drinking. At least I don't wake up sick anymore.
Baby Steps! Guess I just needed to get that out. My friends and family are tired of my broken record.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marissa. Sorry that you are struggling. Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, KNOWING the results, but doing it anyway.

Come join the Class of Feb. 2017. We have uncomfortable desks, but a great positive group!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marissa

For me the key was support - why not check out the thread Badger mentioned...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-12.html

do you have any face to face support? A meeting based method like AA or SMART or LifeRing may help?

A Dr or counsellor might be able to help too?

In the early days I think it's really important to go all out - even if you have to curl up into the fetal position to get through the day and not buy more booze, it's worth it.

D
Old 02-24-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me. One day I woke up and had enough of it. I think I was subconsciously getting to that point for months as I had cut back quite a bit. Imo, you just have to be clear and 100% on board with quitting or you'll go back.

As you know, there is nothing I or anyone can tell you to convince you to quit. You know deep down you need to so dig deep and do it.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marissa, I hope that you decide to make this happen. I do think it gets harder each time we try to stop. It did for me. I hope you can add something to your recovery plan that will help you.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi marissa, I can relate. I'm on day 3 today after months of day 1,2 and 3s. I had really bad cravings last night but managed to stick it out by reading some of the members stories on here. So many have had major health setbacks but managed to turn everything around through sobriety. I'm at the point where alcohol is also starting to affect my health. I know it's early days but if others on here can do this, so can we !
Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is SMART and LifeRing?
I'm ok with the women's AA meetings, but they only have them on Monday and Wednesday evenings. No offense to the men but I just don't want to go to a mixed group. I don't like co-ed gyms either! I already have social anxiety and that just makes it worse.
Maybe I should try some online meetings too.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was going to SMART Recovery meetings 3-4 weeks ago. Literately the only thing to leave my apartment for. I enjoyed them and plan on returning asap.

Every day sober is like hitting the lotto.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
What is SMART and LifeRing?
Other meeting based recovery methods.

Some links here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D