Notices

New

Old 02-24-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

So I am new to this forum, actually any forum. I am not sure how this all works but I wanted a place to vent and get help/support. My mother is an alcoholic for about 8 years now and I think she is finally getting help. I am here though because I went through a pretty embarrassing incident with her and I have noticed that for some reason every time I talk to someone about her and what I have had to go through with her I get super upset which is actually not like me. (I am usually the strong silent type that will cry in private) I think I am just looking for that outside source of support and talk to someone who has gone through or is going through my type of situation.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome bentash.

My mother is alcoholic also and doesnt want any help. I am very glad to hear your mother may be getting some help. I hope you can find it in your heart to be supportive and understanding, and not judgemental.

It is a wonderful thing when an alcoholic recovers, even more so for the children who get their real mother back. It is a miraculous thing.

I wish you all the best.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bentash, and I'm sorry for your situation with your mother. I'm not at all surprised that you are very emotional about this. I, too, grew up with an alcoholic mother, and never underestimate the amount of damage it can do to a child.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi bentash and welcome

wow how fortunate that your mom is getting help since very few alcoholics ever in their life get any kind of help for this serious and fatal disease

Old 02-24-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find a lot of support here Bentash - good to have you join us - welcome!

D
Old 02-24-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You'll find a lot of support here Bentash - good to have you join us - welcome!

D
Thank you so much
Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
hi bentash and welcome

wow how fortunate that your mom is getting help since very few alcoholics ever in their life get any kind of help for this serious and fatal disease

Thank you. Yes I am hopeful that this will actually happen. So far it's only talk and a few phone calls.

Thank you again.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome Bentash, and I'm sorry for your situation with your mother. I'm not at all surprised that you are very emotional about this. I, too, grew up with an alcoholic mother, and never underestimate the amount of damage it can do to a child.
I think I was a little surprised because though this has been happing for 8years I have always been in school. So school took up most of my time and was pretty much my outlet/kept me busy. But now I'm out of school and only work a little so I don't have much right now to keep me busy. So I think this last incident made me notice how much I am affected. I just hope this rehab thing isn't just talk and it really does happen.

Thank you again for your support
Old 02-24-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Welcome bentash.

My mother is alcoholic also and doesnt want any help. I am very glad to hear your mother may be getting some help. I hope you can find it in your heart to be supportive and understanding, and not judgemental.

It is a wonderful thing when an alcoholic recovers, even more so for the children who get their real mother back. It is a miraculous thing.

I wish you all the best.
I am sorry to hear that. I hope your mother finds the strength to get help. I hope my mother's words turn into actions with rehab. We can only help and support. And of course there is never judgment.

Thank you for the support
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you join us, bentash. I'm sorry for what you're going through - but you are never alone. Your mom is fortunate to have your loving care and concern. I hope you'll stay with us & talk things over - and that she does go ahead with rehab.