Notices

I need help, can only sleep if I drink

Old 02-23-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help, can only sleep if I drink

Hello there, I'm a 26 y/o male with a drinking problem. For about 2-3 years now, I've been drinking myself to sleep. When I don't, I get the usual symptoms... hallucinations, cold sweats, insomnia.

Last night I came home and had my food scale out to measure out exactly 10 oz of liquor (vodka) to help me sleep. I was really tired already given it was 2am and I had just come home from my girlfriends house, so I was baffled when I woke up and the entire bottle of vodka that started out full was gone. I tried looking around the house to see if the full one was gathered with any of the other myriad of empty bottles laying around, but it was not.

I don't remember drinking the whole bottle but it's time to stop. I went to the doctor the other day and my liver levels were elevated to 111 when the normal level is <40. I need a plan and know that stopping dead in my tracks is probably not going to work since I will start having hallucinations and stop being a functioning human being. Anybody with success in my shoes have any advice? I appreciate any support and am glad to finally be a part of a supportive community.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you are having hallucinations when you don't drink, I suggest a medically supervised detox.

At the least, a visit to your doctor. Tell him how much you drink and that you want to quit.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Detox with the help of a physician. Doing it by yourself can be dangerous.

I suggest you have a plan to deal with not drinking in the long term. AA has been good for many but whatever works for you.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with the others, a medical detox would be the smart way to go. The way you describe your symptoms sounds pretty serious.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say they are necessarily hallucinations, but when I'm in bed trying to sleep, the wall between dreams and reality are somewhat blurred. I'm fine during the day. I really want to do this without the help of a doctor, but maybe that sounds like the best route to go
Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would strongly suggest getting your doctor's help in getting safely thru detox. Alcohol detox can be dangerous.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Read my post about sleep.

I quit drinking and sleep great now. To quit I had to get a councler and get to the root of why I was drinking.

You are just at the beginning stages of withdrawl when your brain is keeping you awake when your sober and you enter that weird state between sleep and wake only to be jolted awake again.

You need to quit. Its only downhill from here.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sevenstring View Post
I really want to do this without the help of a doctor, but maybe that sounds like the best route to go
The reason it's recommended to see a doctor is that some withdrawal symptoms can be quite dangerous, even deadly in rare cases. It's really about being safe...and doctors have heard the story many, many times..so don't be embarrassed to be honest. I detoxed on my own several times with not too bad of effects, but then the last time I ended up in the ER with dangerously high BP and heart rate, heart palpitations and uncontrollable panic attacks. Wish I would have chekced first!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In addition to what others are saying, your doctor can prescribe something for you to help you sleep and/or deal with anxiety in these early stages.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would also encourage you to talk to your doctor. Hallucinations and blackouts, I assume since you don't remember finishing the bottle, are strong indications to get help.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sevenstring,
I was where you are now, almost exactly a year ago.

It is dangerous ground, friend. On two different occasions I had seizures and ended up in the ER. My last quit was not medically supervised, and that was stupid. I genuinely could have killed myself and/or others if had a seizure while driving, for example. When I got sobered up, I realized that this was more than I could handle by myself, went to a rehab facility and basically begged them to admit me. They did have a detox wing (most facilities do, I believe), and that would have been the smarter thing to do, but I thought that they wouldn't take me if I was drunk when I got there. On the contrary, it turned out that nearly everybody in there with me had gone through the detox protocol there. But I've got nearly a year sober now, and I feel really good, sooo much better than when I was drinking. At this point, it sounds like some sort of medical supervision to get detoxed is REALLY the safest course of action. Good luck to you, you will NOT regret it.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I 'drank myself to sleep' for many many years.

It was rough for a week or so without booze...no sleep the first night and then a little on the second...more the third...but it did get better.

In a week or two you could find yourself in a new non alcohol sleeping pattern.

Like others here, I recommend you see a Dr regarding detox - why not ask them about your sleeping problem when you do?

D
Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat as you. The reason I drank so much was so I could go to sleep (I have a weird phobia about going to bed, that's when all the bad stuff happens)

anyway, I read a post in here that might encourage you to do the medical detox. go to this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

sorry I don't know how to put the link in here.

good luck seven string

Last edited by Dee74; 02-23-2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-23-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good advice here about seeking medical help to detox when you are at the point of the symptoms you describe. In my experience, serious insomnia was also a part of getting sober, which will get better with time. I posted here just this morning, that I once went a whole week (Well, M thru Fri) without sleep. It was awful, but I had a doctor say something quite to the point about that; "I've never had a patient die of insomnia but I’ve seen plenty die from alcoholism." True 'dat.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The magic number on sleep is 10 days.

If you make it and sleep well after 10 days then binge again withdrawl will be 2x as bad.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Thank you for the words of encouragement and for all the advice. I was leaning against medically assisted detox, but in the end I was moved by all the replies on here and ended up going into the substance abuse program for my local healthcare provider.

At first they heavily pressured me to enroll immediately into a 24/7, monitored program. I pushed against it and said that I wanted to talk to a real doctor. Eventually I enrolled in an outpatient treatment program where they prescribed me Vitmain B and a tapered dose of a benzo. I'm now at a week sober.

The insomnia is still there even tho the medication is supposed to be helping me, but the doctor just prescribed me trazaldone to help me out. I hope so! This recovery has not been too hard, as I said i never had urges to drink during the day, I just needed it to sleep. I got a little annoyed at my girlfriend at day 3 or 4, but it wasn't too bad. I told her what to expect and to hang in there with me. She is being sober with me for at least this month as well.

Any other advice? Thank you so much for all the responses already.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
All is Change

Just, what are you going to do once you're feeling well again. perhaps time to look at some long term strategies?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sevenstring View Post
Hello all,

Thank you for the words of encouragement and for all the advice. I was leaning against medically assisted detox, but in the end I was moved by all the replies on here and ended up going into the substance abuse program for my local healthcare provider.

At first they heavily pressured me to enroll immediately into a 24/7, monitored program. I pushed against it and said that I wanted to talk to a real doctor. Eventually I enrolled in an outpatient treatment program where they prescribed me Vitmain B and a tapered dose of a benzo. I'm now at a week sober.

The insomnia is still there even tho the medication is supposed to be helping me, but the doctor just prescribed me trazaldone to help me out. I hope so! This recovery has not been too hard, as I said i never had urges to drink during the day, I just needed it to sleep. I got a little annoyed at my girlfriend at day 3 or 4, but it wasn't too bad. I told her what to expect and to hang in there with me. She is being sober with me for at least this month as well.

Any other advice? Thank you so much for all the responses already.

Wow! That's so great! Congratulations.

My advice is to use this site as a resource. It's so great, it has really helped me, and there's a great community here to be an addition to your program.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stay strong and connected ! I'm just two days sober, and thank God my w/d symptoms have not been bad (knock on wood). Like you, there were some days/nights I didn't want to drink, but I did so I would fall asleep. I've learned, like most of us, that alcohol inhibits "good sleep," even though you fall asleep (pass out) right away. I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep - I'm using naps instead of actually trying to sleep 8 hours at a time.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

delete this, didn't see the post about already getting detoxed
BTW..great going sevenstring