Current Political state

Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Current Political state

I have discovered this past year that a LOT more than my alcoholic robs me of my peace of mind...with my permission of course.

I find that I am so insanely crazy with what is going on politically in this country...I can't stand myself. Crawling out of my skin. My head blows up every day at the latest insanity.

I feel the same insane thinking re-appear: "how can they POSSIBLY think like that, do that, ect" My desperate attempts at trying to convince others about my point of view (including my husband) the despair over all the things I have no control over.

I've been SO smug. Thought I had this recovery thing SO handled. Boy what an insidious disease....I can fool myself and justify my point of view to no end. How easily I give away my peace of mind.

Back to the drawing board....
Old 02-19-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, I know. It gets to me, too. I wake up every day feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

It's pretty pointless to argue with others about stuff like this--I think a lot of it is the same tendency to want to defend one's position. Kinda like arguing with an alcoholic, lol.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep MsGrace. I wish I could block myself from Facebook . . . ARRRRRGH!

We seem to have received the unwelcome gift of yet another opportunity to let go of what we can't control and focus on our side of the street.

This forum is a wonderful place to be reminded of the huge elements in life that no politician can change but just each individual in each unique situation.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I listen to CNN on my phone all throughout the day at work. It scares me half to death but it's like the train wreck, I can't look away.

We seem to have received the unwelcome gift of yet another opportunity to let go of what we can't control and focus on our side of the street.
Well said.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have learned to discuss politics with NO ONE. I agree that it's a very scary environment right now. I pray each day and I vote, that seems to be all one can do.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's. Driving. Me. Crazy. because it's infecting every relationship in every part of my world. My work life is very tied to politics in a roundabout way & that combined with finding myself on entirely different moral ground than those I have personal relationships with has been nothing less than exhausting.

I agree it has been a tremendous challenge - but THANK GOD I have my recovery to lean on!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hank and i get into arguments, and we are on the same side OF the argument!! i cringe every morning before firing up CNN on the laptop......hand literally over my eyes.

it's really interesting how you tied that back into our RECOVERY, Ms Grace. i hadn't thought much more than trying not to fling myself in front of a bus.

Rise Above. Show dignity and respect in the face of conflict and turmoil. Try not to let FEAR rule every waking, and half of the sleeping, moments.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I even had to "unfollow" Facebook friends I agree with politically. I just got tired of the daily rant. Life is too short!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me there is nothing, utterly nothing worthwhile worrying about politics or the perceived state of the nation. The most insane thing I can possibly do is to engage in an exchange with someone over something like that. All it does is rob me of my peace.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree, I have un-followed radical people on both sides on FB. I am almost never on anymore, because I can't stand it.

I have declared my office a "no politics" office as I can't stand listening to people force their opinion on someone else. The other night I went to book club. We finished up and the ladies started talking politics. I put on my coat and said I will not engage in politics and left.

I have never seen our world so angry and out of control. I can't let it take up space in my brain as I would go insane. I have to step away from it.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
I listen to CNN on my phone all throughout the day at work. It scares me half to death but it's like the train wreck, I can't look away.
Stop listening to CNN. They make a living creating these trainwrecks. Even if there is not an actual train on the tracks, they will create one.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Joining others who are fighting for a cause has helped me to not feel so hopeless.

There are many, many, many good groups who would welcome your desire to put your outrage to good use.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try not to let FEAR rule every waking, and half of the sleeping, moments.
It's tough. It drive me to my knees though, more and more often, and I guess that isn't a bad thing.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

One time, there was a member of Parliament who is quoted as saying
"Things got so bad that they were stabbing each other in the front"......

lol.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't have a television.

That's really helping!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
For me there is nothing, utterly nothing worthwhile worrying about politics or the perceived state of the nation. The most insane thing I can possibly do is to engage in an exchange with someone over something like that. All it does is rob me of my peace.
Exactly.

All the gnashing of teeth is, IMO, ridiculous. Somehow, throughout history, we have survived all manner of political "upset" - and none of it has a whit to do with any person (ever) choosing to stay sober.

I look for factual info sometimes, admittedly ignore 99% of news outlets, and remind myself that I can love the people behind the strident opinions while ignoring their BS, etc. My side of the street, y'all....
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is where I look to history. We have had similar situations in our country's past, though it feels to me that social media, CNN, and MSNBC amplify everything, not always in a good way.
I believe in our society's bedrock principles and that we will prevail.
If our current prez doesn't do something stupid.
Also, I always take comfort in readings by geologists, archaeologists, and other scientists. E. O. Wilson's books are great, as are Sue Hubbell's, David Quammen's and Diane Ackerman's.
They take the long view.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm very aware of this political environment and me allowing it to rob my peace of mind. HOWEVER I also feel a sense of civic duty to NOT just go blind deaf and dumb...but to act. To channel my outrage into action. My plan: Going to every town hall meeting in my district and speaking up to my representatives. Getting involved locally to help elect new representatives. Give money directly to the causes that are important to me: not the PACs.
The biggest threat I see is a population that just gets worn out with the struggle and shrugs its shoulders. So I am doing all of that AND:
Get my butt to Al Anon.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There you go. And vote in 2018.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I always have to remind myself of al-anon’s 12th step…………

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Also reminded by the old school of thought of never discuss politics, religion or sex in public…lol

No matter what side of the aisle you are on or what your beliefs are, wanting the president of the United States to fail is like wanting the pilot of the airplane WE are all on to crash.