Notices

Recovery: The Value of Companionship

Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery: The Value of Companionship

Climbing the Mountain of Recovery

By this time it must be apparent that although I am not a mountain climber I like to think of recovery from alcohol or substance abuse as akin to mountain climbing in that it seems to be less risky, probably more successful, certainly less lonely, to have others, especially those more experienced, on the rope. Relapses during recovery are common, can almost be expected. That was so in my case. “Bumps in the road”. Hopefully not fatal falls from the cliff.
One of my favorite views in Switzerland is the North Face of the Eiger, from Kleine Scheidegg (“Little Egg”,the town at its base). One looks up at a sheer wall of rock, leading up to a pyramidal summit. Midway up its length climbers usually must negotiate an ice field known as “the spider” from its treacherous ice patches. Then they come to a snowy ridge along the Eiger’s northeastern spine and climbing to the summit becomes easier. Recovery from alcohol and substance abuse may be like that. It’s risky, treacherous at first, safer and likely to be more successful to have more experienced persons on the rope. One may encounter relapses on the way, even halfway up, like climbers negotiating the “spider”. But hopefully it gets easier later on, like the snowy ridge to the summit where the sun may light the way.
You can see the Eiger by Googling it. Maybe visit it one day but be careful. Don’t let them put anything alcoholic in your cheese fondue if you sit in the little hotel at Kleine Scheidegg and gaze at the mountain! Keep safe and sober!

W.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you Bill, I agree that having more experienced people around (on SR) was crucial to me during the first few months.

It is a good analogy as the idea of "forever" can be terrifying at first.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
It is a good analogy as the idea of "forever" can be terrifying at first.
Yes, I just passed the 2 week mark, and I have to admit that I am having trouble with this idea.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Don't give too much thought Daucuscarota, one day at a time gets you there.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not drinking today, and starting again in the morning has gotten me almost to 6 months!! Forever can wait...
Old 02-19-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

A very nice image. In my tortuous mind it baloons into something more.

Firstly, I realise I can only get to the summit by taking one step after another... OK, wonderful, I did it! I'm sober and the sun is shining. Then I turn to look around and and behold...there is an even taller mountain (life) to be climbed...

Fortunately the mountain climbing techniques are the same...one step at a time.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, one step at a time
Old 02-19-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey! Can someone help? HELP! HELP! Now that I've got your attention. Can someone who is not a technological luddite like me (I was born in 1927 and remember my dad even had a crystal set- a pre vacuum tube radio receiver) can someone out there in SR Google up a photo of the North Wall of the Eiger, as seen from the little restaurant at Kleine Scheidegg and post it in this thread? I am so stupid that I can't even follow directions. The photo I like is a color photo showing the treacherous vertical climb route and the less challenging route of descent.
If someone can do this I will applaud madly.

Bill.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2/2016

Old 02-19-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have no experience with mountain climbing but that looks brutal 😀
Old 02-19-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here it is with those infamous spots on the climb route:

I lived in Switzerland for few years (left ~15 years ago ) in the past, and was hiking there myself. Well, not climbing the wall but I admired this view with my own eyes My drinking issue was non-existent back then, it started later... and the aforementioned symbolic climb even much later.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the glorious photos! And down there in Texas! (no mountains there!) I somehow sensed that Texas would help me! In all the visits I have made to Texas I have been impressed with the awesome hospitality and welcome I received. So much so that a few years ago I watched again every episode of "Dallas" (the old version, not the sequel). This has special relevance to alcoholics and substance abusers since J.R. had his wife committed to a facility so she would not interfere with his love life. So watch out everyone! Keep on your toes!
If you Google some more you can get a relatively recent movie of an incredibly skillful fellow speed climbing the North Face solo. Unbelievable! Would have been suicide in the old days!

Bill.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bill,
I always rush to read your posts. I know they are always a chance for me to learn something new. Thank you sir
Old 02-20-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
In all the visits I have made to Texas I have been impressed with the awesome hospitality and welcome I received. So much so that a few years ago I watched again every episode of "Dallas" (the old version, not the sequel). This has special relevance to alcoholics and substance abusers since J.R. had his wife committed to a facility so she would not interfere with his love life. So watch out everyone! Keep on your toes!

Bill.
Fantastic pics on this thread.

The above quote is quite ironic since in real life it was Larry Hagman who was the alcoholic.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Fantastic pics on this thread.

The above quote is quite ironic since in real life it was Larry Hagman who was the alcoholic.
Denial!

W.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I was under the impression that he had a drink problem, admittedly from some British newspapers that are not always the most reliable of sources.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

P.S. One of the best books on climbing the North Face of Switzerland's Eiger is Heinrich Harrer "The White Spider" (Paladin Books 1989), recounting all those who were killed making the attempt. As I may have already mentioned, Ueli Steck who more recently "speed climbed" the Eiger's North Face, was killed recently climbing a mountain close to Mt. Everest.

W