Notices

Day1. New here. Fatty liver

Old 02-18-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day1. New here. Fatty liver

I've been trying to get sober for the last few months and havnt been able to go more than a day or two before hitting the bottle again. I'm on day 1 again today and really need to make this work this time. I turn 36 on Thursday and want to be sober. I've been knocking back a couple of bottles of wine a night for over a decade. I had fatty liver diagnosed last year by ultrasound but my liver enzymes were normal. I had my liver enzymes tested again a few weeks ago. Although the tests came back normal I've become obsessed with the idea I might have cirrhosis. Apparently you can have cirrhosis with normal liver enzymes. My anxiety and fear of what I've done to my health are through the roof. Besides fatty liver I also have other health issues which I think are a direct result from drinking.,high blood pressure, gerd, ibs to name a few...
Old 02-18-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome SoberNunn,

You've come to the right place to start your sobriety. Best way to take care of your liver is to stop drinking. All your health issues will only benefit by you stop drinking. Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome SoberNunn - you found a great place for encouragement. We all understand how you feel & want to help.

When I was 36 I was many years away from quitting. I knew I didn't drink normally, but kept trying. As a result I ended up drinking all day in the end - with health issues & other serious problems. I'm so glad you are acknowledging what needs to happen. You stand a good chance of getting your health back and having a wonderful life. We're happy to have you with us. You're not alone.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Many health problems can be reversed by getting and staying sober. I'd suggest getting sober for good and then having the tests done again.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Sobernunn.

As others have said, you need to stop drinking to give your health a chance to improve.

Otherwise, you are signing your own death warrant. When I realised that it was literally a matter of life and death, I finally was able to take the steps to stop drinking. I didn't want to die from drinking.

I signed up to a class thread here on SR and posted everyday. You can join the February 2017 class, just post and introduce yourself and you're off and running:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6338159

People are great here, very friendly.

Stick around and read and read. Doing that helped me beyond words. I learned so much about alcoholism and most of all, how to stop drinking.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here already SoberNunn. The best thing you can do for your health is quit now and not later

You'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I've been glued to this site today reading people's stories of recovery. My anxiety is unbearable today.