Korkassof Syndrome

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Korkassof Syndrome

My older brother has been hospitalised after a psychosis/breakdown and this syndrome is being mentioned - aka wet brain.

He had been drinking to kill the back pain he suffered after cracking 3 vertebrae . Stopped eating. Then stopped speaking. Finally cracked - accused his daughters of trying to kill him and was heavily sedated.

Horrible...and may be irreversible.

Made me wonder about AH. He has these confused episodes. He tries to get sober....struggles....goes quite...then starts reinventing himself/us/daughters and runs away - really seems to be out of touch with reality. The last times when he has returned he is almost in disbelief at his thought processes and actions. Immediately seeks help...then back round he goes again.

My brother's situation could well be his future.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My exah has this too. He is severely underweight as he exists on alcohol and never eats. He has been hospitalised many times cos of vitamin deficiencies and electrolyte imbalances that have made him collapse. His memory is bad and deteriorated over the time I was with him. It made conversations exceptionally frustrating as he has no re-call of key events. He also got sidetracked very easily and never finished anything he started. We had no working kitchen for 6 months once cos of this as he took the old one out ( and the floor) and had no ability to replace it. His skills as a joiner left him. He's forgotten most of the past 20 years and has no re-call of things he said even a few minutes before but remember his awful childhood. His self help skills have all but gone. He rarely showers, can't cook and only shops for alcohol and cigarettes. Even if he wanted recovery it has made it impossible for him to achieve as he has no ability to process things, work out how he ended up as he did or move on from it cos all he remembers is what triggers his drinking. He thought his sons were his step sons. He acts like a 14 year old which is the age he started drinking.