Notices

alcohol gastritis/acid reflux/gerd etc...

Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol gastritis/acid reflux/gerd etc...

i recently had a 4 days of binge drinking on empty stomach and on 4th day while sleeping on left side i felt something came from my ear and it was some liquid..

the next morning i had a terrible hangover with black diarrhea and next day i started feeling heartburn and indegistion.nothing goes to stomach.
it was horrible and scared the **** out of me.

i thought something bad happened to my liver,i took the appointment and doctor told me to use omeprezole 40 mg .my liver engymes are also elevated 3 times.

i would never drink again..it has been 30 days of being sober ..but i still don't feel good..i get sudden cough due to acid reflux ..not sure how long it would take to feel better again..

but i never had horrible heartburn..is anyone can tell me if you have gerd then how the heartburn pain in scale of 1 to 10.

thanks for reading this.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm glad you stopped drinking. It sounds like you should go back to your dr with questions, since you are not seeing much improvement. We can't give any kind of medical advice here. Did you dr give you any follow-up appointments?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Two years ago I had terrible reflux and had no success on omeprazole or any of the other GERD meds. I had the feeling of a constant lump in my esophagus and it was hard to swallow...nights were miserable with heartburn.

After a few months of sobriety...my stomach problems disappeared. Oh, I'll never be able to eat a rack of barbecue ribs with a side of onion rings and wash it all down with iced coffee again, but as long as I'm reasonably sensible about what I eat, it all just does what it's supposed to do without any heartburn whatsoever.

Alcohol is a severe gastrointestinal irritant. It only makes sense to stop pouring it down there, yes? So good job on 30 days. I second the idea of talking to your doctor...it may just be a question of more time?

Has your doctorate mentioned following a reflux diet?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi redmalli

All I can do is share my experience with you - I had bad reflux and heartburn and a host of bowel problems as a drinker - not surprisingly when y diet was basically beer and cigarettes.

It took a couple of months for things to settle down after I quit but my digestion is back to being very good & heartburn and acid reflux are rare for me these days

Of course, if you're worried do see your Dr again

D
Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great to hear you have 30 days clean and went to your docs. With a liver panel 3 times what it should be, black stool, and what sounds like bad gerd, that's one hell of a wake up call that the booze has given your body a severe beating.
I would for sure make another appointment to see how everything is looking. It can take some time for things to settle down, perhaps in the mean time just eat a careful diet. I know many foods can cause me to get bad gerd problems.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Black stool is something that should get looked at if it doesn't clear up. 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have experienced your same symptoms for several years now and was, for years, still drinking while popping pills to counter the stomach pain/burning. I am still taking those pills (Protonix, 40-80mg), after stopping, due to the damage done/not sure that insides are ready for acids yet without extra help.

Used to be so bad, I would have diarrhea several times a day, every day, for months. Did not pass much urine either. I'm guessing it was messing with liver, kidneys, the works.

Stomach is still pretty raw, but I can see some drastic improvement. If you cut back or are able to stop drinking, you will see some immediate relief in these symptoms. It will only get worse if you continue to drink.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Two years ago I had terrible reflux and had no success on omeprazole or any of the other GERD meds. I had the feeling of a constant lump in my esophagus and it was hard to swallow...nights were miserable with heartburn.

After a few months of sobriety...my stomach problems disappeared. Oh, I'll never be able to eat a rack of barbecue ribs with a side of onion rings and wash it all down with iced coffee again, but as long as I'm reasonably sensible about what I eat, it all just does what it's supposed to do without any heartburn whatsoever.

Alcohol is a severe gastrointestinal irritant. It only makes sense to stop pouring it down there, yes? So good job on 30 days. I second the idea of talking to your doctor...it may just be a question of more time?

Has your doctorate mentioned following a reflux diet?
thank you Ariesagain.i have an endoscopy scheduled in two weeks followed by doc's appointment.my doctor didn't mention any special diet (just told me to stop drinking ).but i have been reading all over the internet and trying to follow less acidic diet.but my day never goes without some tums along with PPI drug.i regret all the time why did i drink so much on those 4 days.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been on prilosec, protonix and other proton blockers for over 20 years. Have tried repeatedly to get off them. They're not intended for long-term use and they screw things up down the line in your system.

Trouble is, chronic use of them makes it harder and harder to get off them.

I'm about to make another run at it. I recently learned of a protocol involving apple cider vinegar. I'm going to try that along with cutting way back on sugar, adding in more greens, juicing, probiotics and trying to 'reset' my system once again. I'm 44 now and I can feel my gut health deteriorating despite being 3 years sober. I suspect that long term use of anti-reflux, overuse of caffeine, over eating sugar, over-administration of antibiotics in my life - have all led to this state I'm in. I believe I need to cut caffeine way back or out entirely. Same with sugar. Get off these meds and try to let my body re-stabilize.....

But sugar and caffeine are a really tough addiction.... and these meds are the hardest to get off of, beause it's pure misery dealing with the heartburn.